2006 is too high in the front - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2006 is too high in the front

My 2006, which hasn't done a lot of work in it's life, always seems to sit nose high. This is compounded when I hook on our 6000lb travel trailer.

Although I didn't check the truck at level, I know the front is a bit higher than the back. When I add the trailer, it is 2" higher in the front than the back. It looks like the back is squatting a lot more than it should, but the front is and has always been high.

Note that the truck is using weight distribution.

I could just adjust down the t-bars on the front, but I want some feedback from others. Is lowering the front a good idea? Or should I be looking at adding air bags to the back? I'm not a fan of lifted trucks, as it just makes them a pain to use. I'd prefer the truck be level when towing, and can be raked down when not.

This truck only has 220,000km, and really only tows this trailer. I don't often drive it empty. My dad has owned it since 2008, and it has never been modified outside of those aftermarket wheels and new tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7507.jpg (45.6 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7509.jpg (79.1 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7508.jpg (51.0 KB, 260 views)

2006 Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 4x4 (LLY)
Bone Stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:10 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
Are the tortions turned up now? Maybe add timbrens to the rear and turn the front down a bit. Is the front ride harsh?
Black HD likes this.

EFILive by RidgeRunner. 🤘 Fuel system support hardware, CCM front Diff Drop, some LEDs to make night into day, got some big ol 20's and wide ass tires and a nice display to show me what's up under the hood-

2012GMC2500CCSB
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Harsh is a hard thing to say. With the 16" tires it is beyond harsh. Main battle tank comes to mind. However the summer 20's feel okay. However neither is anywhere close to my autoride Avalanche.

I can't see why anyone would have turned up the front ever but it's possible.

Heres some unloaded pics.

IMG_7518.jpg

Note that these pics have the rear tires over inflated for towing. So the rake is actually worse with the proper inflation.

I need to take measurements again.

Is it possible/safe to take 2" out of the front?

Bone Stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:57 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I wouldn’t suggest cranking the front down, don’t screw with that, leave it alone and add airbags on the rear.

Air bags on the rear which will help getting the rear back up, closer to level.
Every truck I’ve owned I had to add air bags to level it out a little when towing.
Mine squats about 3” when I hook up my 5th wheel before I air up my bags and tires.
I’m usually running 70-80 psi in my airbags when towing, then 5psi when empty.

IMO that is pretty much all you can do to retain a decent ride when empty other suspension add on’s which will stiffen up the ride when empty.
Or drive around with the nose up watching the birds fly around.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 05-22-2018 at 10:01 PM.
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:21 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Garage
looks like rear leaf spring fatigue. I put 3500 srw takeoff springs on my 2010 2500 after only 60,000 miles. Later added air bags.

70 to 80 psi in bags...I usually run into sway issue with bumper pull campers in the wind if im over 30 psi.

2010 Gmc 2500 Duramax 853,500 Odometer miles - sold Nov 2018

2013 LT CCSB SRW bought with 508,000 miles, now over 645,000 miles

2013 LT CC & Chassis with 9' Hillsboro Aluminum flatbed - over 82,000 miles
chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintenance-log

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 01:33 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
I would leave the front alone if you dont have any issues with suspension travel and add equipment to the rear like airbags.

EFILive by RidgeRunner. 🤘 Fuel system support hardware, CCM front Diff Drop, some LEDs to make night into day, got some big ol 20's and wide ass tires and a nice display to show me what's up under the hood-

2012GMC2500CCSB
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 03:06 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

You are nose high even without a load on the truck according to your level. Either you have torsen bars that are cranked to the max or your rear leaf springs are shot.

You can either crank the front back down a little, or add a 1” lift block to the rear along with airbags to help when towing.

You say it rides worse with the 16” rims? The only way I see that possible is if you have 80psi in all four tires and lower pressure in the tires when running the 20” combo.
mray and baden like this.

Jim
__________________________________________________ _
2003 Chevy 2500hd crew cab 4x4, D/A

Just a few aftermarket goodies
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 06:55 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevor View Post
looks like rear leaf spring fatigue. I put 3500 srw takeoff springs on my 2010 2500 after only 60,000 miles. Later added air bags.

70 to 80 psi in bags...I usually run into sway issue with bumper pull campers in the wind if im over 30 psi.
2800-3,000 lb pin weight depending if my toy is inside, 5th wheel toy hauler no sway.
Slight difference with bumper pull vs 5th wheel.
70-80 brings my truck a little closer to level when loaded.
Empty the front is about 1/2 lower than the rear, when hooked up the rear is about 3/4-1 lower than the front.

When I did my 4 lift it was front only, rear stock height was about 4 1/2 higher than the front, out of the factory.

FYI JOHN, if and when you add airbags they will raise the rear about 1/2 when empty.
Always try to keep at least 5psi in the bags when empty.
The moisture in the air helps from the airbags cracking inside out.
I have the Airlift load controller II with my Firestone airbags.
It has a 5psi low pressure switch so you never have to wonder if air is in them.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all the feedback. To answer some questions:

Yes, the front sits high all the time. I didn't measure it exactly, but it is somewhere between 1/2" and 1". I took it to my mechanic and his gut reaction was that someone did crank them up once upon a time. He also concurs that there is sag in the rear which magnifies it.

The 16" Wrangler Territory tires ride terrible. That is with 60/45 psi. The 20" Wrangler SRAs ride nicer with 50/35. That is about what they need to be properly inflated. Perhaps the wider tire makes a difference, but we are only talking 20mm. When I run the trailer, the rears go up 20 psi respectively.

I have no desire to start altering leaf springs in this truck. It only pulls this trailer in the summer time and otherwise will do next to nothing the rest of the year. I'll take a look at airbags too. I think a lowering of the front will occur just to help it out when unloaded. If anyone has brands to recommend for airbags, I'll take a peek. As for weight, the tongue weight on this thing never exceeds 800lbs, and that is with a weight distribution.

My LTZ Avalanche had the auto-leveling air bag system and I fell in love with it. I could load 2000lb of brick in that thing and it would still ride level. I know Dodge caught on to this, but I wish it would come to the rest of the Chevy lineup.

Bone Stock for now
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:27 AM

I would replace the rear leaf springs, shackles, and Ubolts. It may actually be the spring hangers/pivot points that are bad, in which case you should definitely replace because it's a safety issue. I have a '50 Chevy pickup I'm in the process of restoring... one of the front leaf spring shackles had a clogged zerk and the innards never got greased. The spring eye was almost completely worn through and the axle was flopping around like crazy causing bump steer and shudders. New spring leaves and hangers fixed the problem right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode