2008 LMM Rough Ride - Front End has been rebuilt - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Question 2008 LMM Rough Ride - Front End has been rebuilt

All,

Looking for some suggestions:

I rebuilt the front end on this 2008 LMM crew cab 6.5' bed. 2wd.

Running general grabber AT 265/75/16s

New Mevotech UCA and LCAs,

New delco pro tie rods and sway bar links

New wheel bearings

New Torsion bar bushings

New bilstein yellow shocks the whole way around

New Steering Stabilizer

New Mevotech Pitman and idler arms.

New GM Intermediate steering shaft

Have NOT replaced the bump stops, they are almost wore off. Not sure if that would help at this point.

Truck was riding pretty rough before I did all of this. While the bilsteins took out some of the rough ride, I'm still not happy. Also had a pop in the steering when backing up out of a parking spot.

I had a 2002 LB7 extended cab 6.5' bed that never rode this rough, has basic monroe shocks on it. I'm used to the ride of a heavier truck, something still seems off.

Truck is completely stock suspension. Torsion bars are not cranked, I just had it aligned and the torsion keys set when they did the alignment.

I can hit a bump in the road, and it feels like the front end rattles and wants to fall apart. Hitting a bump makes the truck feel like its hopping to one side or the other.

I've retorqued everything more than once, the front end is tight. Even had the alignment shop check my work.

My steering has a bad thud in it too, I'm sure the zip tie fix would help, just haven't done it.

Sorry this is long winded, but I want to get as much info out as possible so I can correlate this issue and fix it. I still have a light pop when backing out to the right...In my mind, I've replaced everything that could be causing the rough ride/popping but still persists.

Still fairly new to the NBS and LMM, came from LB7 truck.

I have a 2006 gas truck with a 2" torsion bar kit thats cranked with crappy shocks, and it rides 1000x better than this truck. I'm really scratching my head.

Do the crew cab trucks just ride like shit? this is the first set of general tires I've had in a while, was on the truck when I got it awhile back. Running about 58/60psi

Anything I haven't replaced or looked at yet?

Any input is appreciated.

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD - LB7 Extended Cab 2WD - Resurrected at 275k miles from roller, now 284k. - Bay Boat tow pig.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - LMM Crew Cab 2wd 6.5' bed. New bay boat tow pig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

To re-iterate,

If I hit a small bump in the road, or an expansion joint...the whole truck bumps and shimmys. The plastic in the dash flexes/rattles, all the windows and doors/door cards shake and rattle. Its awful...cannot for the life of me see where its coming from. It feels like the truck has blown out shocks, new bilsteins went on yesterday. Maybe a 10% improvement in ride quality.\

Everything on the front end is brand new. I've ordered bump stops, but I'm not so sure its going to actually help.

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD - LB7 Extended Cab 2WD - Resurrected at 275k miles from roller, now 284k. - Bay Boat tow pig.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:02 AM

Garage
Quick question when you torqued your control arms was it at curb weight and on the ground? Cannot remember I had weird issue after torquing them not at curb weight.

2008 Silverado LTZ
Tuned with EFI Live
6 inch lift by Fabtech
35 inch BFG K02 All terrain Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkayler View Post
Quick question when you torqued your control arms was it at curb weight and on the ground? Cannot remember I had weird issue after torquing them not at curb weight.
I torqued them again after I put it back on the ground.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:53 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

How many miles?

Might want to check cab mounts

Joe
2008 CCLB LMM
13.39 @ 99.44 W/ 1.76 60
456 HP 925 TQ

2003 RCLB LB7 stock but not for long
The life of my truck
Pics of my truck
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzjk913 View Post
How many miles?

Might want to check cab mounts
195,000 today.

I'm also wondering if a bad body mount would cause the pop I hear when turning right at full lock and off kilter.

I also replaced the control arm bumpers, and that also helped. But the bad shake is still there.

Last edited by hw1353; 06-15-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode