Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Which air bags??

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Z Long Bed 
#1 ·
I’ve been lookin and lookin and can’t find a thread to help me decide which to setup to get. My father n law has a 2015 2500 4x4 cclb dmax. Leveled, bone stock. Pulls a 38’ fifth wheel camper and it squats it a little. I’ve talked him into gettin air bags to help it. So what do y’all think from previous experiences? Which brand. Best warranty. Installation. Best all around etc. Thank y’all for any help. It’s all appreciated.

#3 · (Edited)
My experience is with Firestone 7500s. That's what I used. I had no issues at all. I had a lance 1181 slide in camper [huge 4500# wet] and pulled a 24 foot box trailer, race car, quad, tools, etc. In fact just bought a new truck and installing them again new. What you'll need to decide is if you need the 5000s or 7500s based on you're loading requirements.

#4 ·
I have had both Firestone and airlift. IMO airlift is a better quality product. Go with the ultimate bags with the internal overloads.

#5 ·
I bought the Air Lift simply because they were $100 cheaper on a deal I found. No internal bumper but that just means you have to keep 5 PSI in them...No big deal! They have been fine.

They came with two Schrader Valves. I joined the two siees with a T in the hoses and fill both simultaneously from only one. Since I tow a 5er and it is mounted in the center of the bed this just eliminates any PITA trying to get both sides the same.

#7 ·
I use Air Lift as well and did the same T to one schrader valve. I have had the bags on for about 2 years, zero issues. They are simple so you wouldn't really think there would be many issues. I elected to not do the auto fill type system just for that reason, to keep it simple.

#6 ·
https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/25592/
Go with this, it'll always maintain 5 psi in your airbags.
I use this with my Firestone Airbags, they don't care what air's them up.
It's been on 2 trucks I bought mine in 2003.

#8 ·
What I suggested is not a true auto fill, it’s to maintain at least 5psi at all times, in case your in la-la land not paying attention.
You can fill the bags up with this controller but it’s pretty slow.

There’s a couple of very good reasons for maintaining at least 5 psi in the bags.
Air has moisture which help keeps the bags from cracking inside out.
And driving around with no air in the bags is a good way to ruin them.

I still have the same Firestone bags that came on my motor home in 1995.
Firestone bags on my GMC installed 2007.

#10 ·
My truck raised a good inch after installing air lift 5000 , no bounce stop.A 70 gallon aux and 1k on hitch makes for a good ride.Heck it rides good with 60 gallon in it right now at 5 psi.The hitch lowered 1/2” by adding 60 gallons.It went from 5 to 7.5 psi by adding 60 gallons to aux tank.
Almost a year and there great.

#11 ·
We went with the airlift onboard air. Can’t remember the exact model but we mounted the compressor under backseat driver side and the tank inside the frame rail in front of the fuel tank. Works great.

#12 ·
I use airlift 5000 premium with the stainless braided hose. Also has internal jounce so you don't have to keep them pumped up.

#13 ·
I've had 2 sets of the Airlift bags on my old 1/2 ton. The lower brackets disintegrated due to being in the rust belt on the first set.
I had everything powder coated/re-powder coated? before install.

The onboard compressor and duel gauges all worked well.
I will install the compressor under the hood to keep from the weather, rocks, salt etc. on my new truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.