• 1 Post By Hook'em_Horns!
  • 2 Post By n0useforaname

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
DF Sponsors

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mrmanners
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel

So many times we hear questions or see threads about diesel fuel, why use fuel additives and everything in between. Mark Nyholm, AMSOIL Technical Manager for HD and Mechanicle R&D recently published an article about Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel and the fact it does NOT provide sufficient lubricity for our fuel systems.

Here is a link to the article.

For many years now we at Synthetic Motorsports have recommended using Fuel Additives on a regular basis to all our customers.

There are many good additives out there. Opti-Lube, AMSOIL, Stanadyne, FPPF and a few others. I personally have seen the best results from Opti-Lube XPD and AMSOIL Diesel Injector Clean + Cetane Boost (ADS).

Take a few minutes and read the article. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:13 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nyholm
Boy, were people angry.
They knew Sulfur helped protect their fuel pump and injectors from wear.
While he does explain it differently (in detail) further down in the article, correcting the statement above, many have this wrong idea about ULSD vs LSD.

S is NOT and Never was, a lubricant.
It's the process of Removing S, that also removes the natural lubricants in Diesel fuel.

This misunderstanding has actually led people to try and add S back to their fuel.
mrmanners likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:41 AM
Received a Hummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
While he does explain it differently (in detail) further down in the article, correcting the statement above, many have this wrong idea about ULSD vs LSD.

It's the process of Removing S, that also removes the natural lubricants in Diesel fuel.

This misunderstanding has actually led people to try and add S back to their fuel.
I've been adding 1 gallon of KY to help mine out every tank... so that's bad?
Hook'em_Horns! and mrmanners like this.

2010 Yukon XL 2500
LMM straight piped
EFI live tuning by ATP
Airdog 4G
Triple pillar gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:05 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0useforaname View Post
I've been adding 1 gallon of KY to help mine out every tank... so that's bad?
so long as its not the warming formula i think you fine, gotta keep those EGT's down you know.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
DF Sponsors

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mrmanners
Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
so long as its not the warming formula i think you fine, gotta keep those EGT's down you know.
What he said...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post

I have seen articles that talk about the lubrication within ULSD. One thing I found interesting is that bio diesel blends do add a significant amount of lubrication. The bio stuff that is blended into regular ULSD will replace some of the lubricaton lost by the process of the sulfur removal. There are other reasons why I don't care for the bio blended stuff but it looks like lubrication properties is not one of them. Dean
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:59 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
yeah, KY with 'menthol'....not the way to go.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode