2 oddball questions on trailer backup camera - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

2 oddball questions on trailer backup camera

I want to add a camera to the rear of my 26' stick/tin travel trailer behind my 2019 Dmax, with the camera powered by the tail light circuit. There are many horror stories of aftermarket systems not working well, especially while underway. I can't afford to experiment with something this costly, so I just decided to ask the (apparent) leading manufacturers for recommendations for my specific set-up and distanced.

While both companies gave me recommendations on the systems that should work for the length, etc, both had unusual and different words of caution about the quirks in the wiring system on 2019 GM products.

Furion said, in part: "The only additional thing to keep in mind, is that you have a 2019 GM vehicle which restricts power through their 7-way, not allowing an adequate power to function any 12V accessories, including cameras, if you decide to power them using the tow vehicle, instead of an on-board RV battery. I see that you have mentioned using the running lights for power, which would require the adapter for the 2019 GM. The adapter that we have that resolves the GM power issue can be found at the web address below. " (the adaptor is a pigtail between the truck and trailer 7 pin connectors)
https://furrion.com/collections/all-...h-power-switch

ASA / Voyager said, in part: "Since you are using a 2019 GM product, you will need a filter to filter out the PWM (pulse width modulation) they're using. Our products, Furrion's products, and all other systems would be affected by PWM. This filter will remedy this and allow you to use our products with your new truck" (oddly enough, the filter they recommend is a link to Amazon, not ASA).
Filter:
https://www.amazon.com/ASA-Electroni...-items&sr=1-21

I asked Furion if their concern about not enough power being available had to do with the PWM noise in the light circuit (as highlighted by ASA), and they replied that their concern was something different from PWM.

I can maybe understand some feedback noise in the tail light circuit to determine when bulbs are out, but I can't imagine the tail light circuit not having enough power to run a camera.

Has anyone run into either the tail light circuit noise, or the not-enough-power-available-to-run-the-camera issue, when adding a camera to a travel trailer???????????

2019 Silverado 2500 4WD, Cajun Red
Michelin LTX M/S, bed liner, Alum bed box
Boost mirror turn signal jumper
Trans cooler grill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:44 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Why not the factory camera setup?

Ryan

2006 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT CCLB 4x4

Mods: EGR block, EFI LIVE by Rob (DSP5), Edge Insight CTS2 w/ backup cam and EGT probe, Pacer 07.5+ smoked cab lights, M-A Pump rub fix, TransGo Jr w/ Mike L springs, Russell stainless brake lines.

My Build Thread
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

I already have a back up camera on the truck. What I am adding is a camera on the back of the travel trailer.

Trans cooler grill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:23 PM

I have a 2017 and have a Haloview wired to my clearance lights with no issues. I don't know about the tail light circuit and I don't know if they've changed the wiring between 2017 and 2019 but there are numerous variations in tail lights on trailers whether they are LED or incandescent and the camera uses very little power so I don't see why there would be an issue.

2017 2500HD Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71, Midnight Edition. Bakflip MX4 Tonneau cover, Weathertech mats.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:29 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins View Post
I already have a back up camera on the truck. What I am adding is a camera on the back of the travel trailer.

GM has an auxiliary wireless camera for the back of the trailer that hooks to your existing camera system, assuming you have that option.

Ryan

2006 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT CCLB 4x4

Mods: EGR block, EFI LIVE by Rob (DSP5), Edge Insight CTS2 w/ backup cam and EGT probe, Pacer 07.5+ smoked cab lights, M-A Pump rub fix, TransGo Jr w/ Mike L springs, Russell stainless brake lines.

My Build Thread
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

My truck does not have the trailer camera package.

Trans cooler grill
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 04:29 AM

I think GM uses PWM with feedback to determine if there is something attached to the circuit.

The first pigtail is probably a bridge circuit built to take power from the 12v constant power supply in the truck and route it to the brake light circuit for the camera. The second looks like its either a noise filter or small capacitor in the circuit to minimize or eliminate the PWM signal to the camera.

If your trailer is wired for a camera, check to see if the hot is from the onboard battery. If it is, then you are probably good. If not, try checking the power supply with an AC volt meter. IIRC the AC volt meter may pick up voltage if there is a PWM signal as its an on/off signal or variation in voltage in the circuit.

Depending on where you plan on putting the camera, it may be possible to tap into a hot wire for an overhead light. Not having a camera on my trailer or looking at the wiring, I don't know what would trigger it to come on and that may be where the brake light signal comes into play.

2004.5 Silver Birch Metallic GMC K2500HD
18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 05:41 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins View Post
I want to add a camera to the rear of my 26' stick/tin travel trailer behind my 2019 Dmax, with the camera powered by the tail light circuit. There are many horror stories of aftermarket systems not working well, especially while underway. I can't afford to experiment with something this costly, so I just decided to ask the (apparent) leading manufacturers for recommendations for my specific set-up and distanced.

While both companies gave me recommendations on the systems that should work for the length, etc, both had unusual and different words of caution about the quirks in the wiring system on 2019 GM products.

Furion said, in part: "The only additional thing to keep in mind, is that you have a 2019 GM vehicle which restricts power through their 7-way, not allowing an adequate power to function any 12V accessories, including cameras, if you decide to power them using the tow vehicle, instead of an on-board RV battery. I see that you have mentioned using the running lights for power, which would require the adapter for the 2019 GM. The adapter that we have that resolves the GM power issue can be found at the web address below. " (the adaptor is a pigtail between the truck and trailer 7 pin connectors)
?
Seeing that there is a 12V supply to charge the emergency break away battery, I see plenty of power going to the trailer, but as mentioned cameras draw little amps... Get one and try it.... Doesn't work, then return it...
Jwaggonersr likes this.

2019 Quartz Red Denali HD Chrome deleted
2013 GMC SLE fully deleated. Sold
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 05:45 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR8ERFXR View Post
I have a 2017 and have a Haloview wired to my clearance lights with no issues. I don't know about the tail light circuit and I don't know if they've changed the wiring between 2017 and 2019 but there are numerous variations in tail lights on trailers whether they are LED or incandescent and the camera uses very little power so I don't see why there would be an issue.
Which model you using?

2019 Quartz Red Denali HD Chrome deleted
2013 GMC SLE fully deleated. Sold
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Jlawles, thanks for the comment and i agree. Just wondering if others had run into this. I was particularly confused with the claim the light circuit would not have enough power to supply what surely is fractional amps to a camera.

My trailer is not prewired for camera. If you power camera from house battery then it is on all the time, even when disconnected and camping.

The typical aftermarket taps into the top middle clearance light in back and then you use parking lights for the on off switch. Furiom kits include a new light fixture with pigtail that goes on the base of existing fixture.

Trans cooler grill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode