Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Andersen Ultimate Hitch in a 6.5' GM box.

12K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Dsmspickdad 
#1 ·
We ordered a Grand Design 2930rl fifth wheel and expect delivery in mid-March. We have owned several bumper pull trailers but this is our first fifth wheel. My tow rig is a 2017 GMC HD3500 Duramax with a 6.5 foot box. GVWR and hitch weight appear well within specifications.

I am interested in an Andersen Ultimate Hitch for the reasons of weight and ease of removal, but have not bought the hitch yet so I can still go another direction such as a Companion Slider. I have a B&W turnover ball. Without a hitch or the trailer, I cannot perform any measurements so I am going off internet reviews, which may or may not be reliable. 'dunno;

I have reviewed the Andersen installation instructions and would appreciate insight from list members who have installed the Andersen Ultimate in their short box GM. Did you install the coupler block ball socket to the front of the kingpin (toward the cab), or behind the kingpin (toward the tailgate).

Can you comment on your turning radius? Any problems or concerns?

Have you had any clearance problems with siderails? Does anyone have a tonneau cover? I am expecting to remove my Extang Encore three piece hard folding, but might it still work?

Finally, does anyone have any nuggets of wisdom for a fifth wheel newby regarding my setup?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:smile2:

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the Andersen for my setup. It was first installed in te 2017 I had, and yes, the coupler was turned to the back. I have changed vehicles to a 2020, and it it is still turned to the back. As for turning radius, I have no issues. In the 17, I first had it mounted in the front, but would hit the side of the bed.

I also later raised the pin, so that may have helped the situation instead of turning it around. I am going to turn it around on the next trip to see how it works.

I love the hitch. Hangs on the wall in the garage when I don't need it in the truck.

Bill

#5 ·
I have had an Andersen for three years now with my 6.5 foot bed, No complaints, would not use any other set up.

My adapter is set up so the pin is in front of the ball. Works great, I can easily turn 90 degrees (did it once in a paring lot just to see) without hitting.

I store mine in the front garage of my camper when not in use. My 12 YO takes it in and out for me.

I am pulling a Jayco 355 MBQS.

Also easy to unhook and hook up.

Joe

Reactions: LoyalGMCGuy
#6 ·
Thanks very much for the reply. Greatly appreciate your insight. A few questions if you have time.

For my our clarity, I assume you are set up with the Andersen coupler ball socket to the front of the trailer's king pin. If that is correct, do you have any problems with the hitch making contact with the bed rails? What pin setting to you have the Andersen ball set on? Bottom (lowest), middle, or top (highest), and do these height settings have much impact on bed clearance or turning radius?

#7 ·
I have the coupler the other way. The ball connects behind the pin on the hitch. As far as the height settings, the camper is in storage with the hitch, so I don't recall. But no I do not have any issues with the hitch hitting the bed in any way. And I have about 6 inches of clearance between the top of the bed and the camper. Like i said, it has been great.

Any other questions, let me know.

Reactions: LoyalGMCGuy
#9 · (Edited)
Can someone give me the kingpin dimension in the bed front to rear? Trying to see if the Andersen ultimate hitch TBX (tool box model) will work with my tool box and headache rack...

THANKS
EDIT: found 44.75 on line... Looks like I'll have about an 1-2" to spare...

#10 ·
Might want to spend your dollars on something other than Anderson. Although a great product they owner of the company is not so great. Although he admitted his faults so that’s a start.

#12 ·
We ordered a Grand Design 2930rl fifth wheel and expect delivery in mid-March. We have owned several bumper pull trailers but this is our first fifth wheel. My tow rig is a 2017 GMC HD3500 Duramax with a 6.5 foot box. GVWR and hitch weight appear well within specifications.

I am interested in an Andersen Ultimate Hitch for the reasons of weight and ease of removal, but have not bought the hitch yet so I can still go another direction such as a Companion Slider. I have a B&W turnover ball. Without a hitch or the trailer, I cannot perform any measurements so I am going off internet reviews, which may or may not be reliable. 'dunno;

I have reviewed the Andersen installation instructions and would appreciate insight from list members who have installed the Andersen Ultimate in their short box GM. Did you install the coupler block ball socket to the front of the kingpin (toward the cab), or behind the kingpin (toward the tailgate).

Can you comment on your turning radius? Any problems or concerns?

Have you had any clearance problems with siderails? Does anyone have a tonneau cover? I am expecting to remove my Extang Encore three piece hard folding, but might it still work?

Finally, does anyone have any nuggets of wisdom for a fifth wheel newby regarding my setup?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:smile2:

Did you end up w the Andersen? Looking at 5ths this week and most likely going that route... I have a tool box so I'll be getting the TBX model

#13 ·
It was a tough decision but I did go with the Andersen. Had my GM dealer install a turnover ball (could not muster courage to take a hole saw to the box) but I installed the Andersen. EZ install. Photos attached.
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Trunk
Auto part Metal

The Andersen hitch weighs 35lb, compared to the B&W slider also under consideration at near 300lb. Also saved some weight by purchasing a Lion Energy lithium battery that weighs less than 21lb in lieu of two Interstate 27C's.

I live in Montana and will be locating the new trailer on a small lot we own that is around 7,000 in elevation. As of last Friday there was still 4' of snow in the yard. Plan to pick the trailer up on Wednesday, May 13 assuming no snow this weekend.

Truck is a 2017 GMC HD3500 SRW with a 17,200lb tow rating and a 3,927lb payload. Trailer is a 2020 Grand Design 2930RL with a dry weight of 11,442lb, GVWR of 15,000lb, and a hitch weight of 2,174lb. I think I am well within specs but the DRW guys still have me double checking numbers.

Will let you know how well it handles and turns after my first run.

#17 ·
Sorry if I am late to the party. I've had the Anderson Ultimate for going on 4 years and over 20K miles towing (almost 3K lbs pin and 16K lbs total).
No problem with the bed warping (as of yet), but I am torquing the bolt down to 60 ft/lbs because the hitch (after 1,000 mi or so) has a tendency to rotate CCW just a little bit.
Did not know about the brackets 'til NHfireDmax mentioned them.
Happy with the hitch so far.

#18 ·
Bought my new camper, and ordered the BW kingpin and Anderson Ultimate (toolbox version) and the stiffeners (extra $80, why not) Probably not needed but also some 5K airbags. Pin weight is only 1300# its a 29' 5th. I have a compressor already for the truck...

#21 ·
For those of you with the Anderson that have used other hitches. Is it adjustable? I have a B&W Companion and have thought about the Anderson as I have both a 5th wheel and goose neck trailer. It is a pain to go back and forth just due to weight of the hitch. However, when I got the Companion I had to adjust it many times to find a spot where I didn't get a bunch of chucking. I believe this was entirely due to the position of the hitch. So, is there any adjustments to the Anderson? Has anyone used both or similar where you have experienced chucking? Thanks

#22 ·
Pulled the Grand Design Solitude home two days ago with the Anderson Hitch. Pulled fine. After a few measurements decided to install the pin box with the coupler facing toward the truck to allow maximum distance from the trailer cap to the truck cab.

Attached are a few photos of my setup. I have plenty of space between the trailer and the cab but my turning radius is limited by the pin box rotating into the side of the truck. Unsure what the turning radius degree is but is less than expected. Backed the trailer into our spot at the lake which requires a tight turn and it worked out fine.

Andersen has three adjustment heights on the coupler ball. Very easy to adjust.

#23 ·
Thank you. The companion has lots of adjustments, first tried it as far back as possible, then as far forward. Then needed to find a sweet spot in the middle. Not easy to adjust, but most important was the trailer level, then trying to find a place where the chucking was the least. I think if I had a long bed the issue would not be there, but with the short bed, the heavier tongue weight is the issue. I actually found that with my fresh water full, it pulls the best. Its a combination of hitch height and weight over the rear tires of the truck. I didn't see those kinds of adjustments on the Anderson. I would like to try one before buying. Need to find someone in my area with one.

#24 ·
Best hitch for my purpose goose and 5th wheel. Had issue with unit moving. I now torque the ball bolt to 70 lbs. The other bolts are torqued to 40 lbs. Lots of miles smoothest hitch out there. Easy nuff wife can took up the truck. No regrets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.