Camper towing pics - Page 197 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
 1451Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1961 of 2009 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 08:52 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1962 of 2009 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 09:14 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
If your referring to the set-up on post 1945, a few feet maybe.
Not with a ball mount for the small trailer, one little bump will end up with slight turn the trailer will start turning out of control until you stop.
You cannot control the trailer to just turn slightly, with a ball mount hitch.
Now maybe if your backing down hill a little the force might keep it straight for a few more feet.

Now if the guy prefers to believe you he can continue trying with failures along the way.
What everyone does with set of doubles as pictured is drops the rear trailer in in a convenient area, sets up his/hers trailer then goes back a hook up his little trailer and take it to camp.

Even with the big rigs set of doubles, if your on a perfectly flat road you might be able to back up 20'-30' max.
The hitch set up is a little more complexed and takes a little more effort for the trailer to stay straight.

Your post does not even count for what us rv'ers use for hitches on doubles.
Mr 77cruiser that has a big difference hitch set-up than a simple ball mount and/or even the hay/grain wagons.
Pay closer attention to what your posting for comparisons, a few will fall for this.
I am talking about big truck doubles. I hauled truckload heavy haul for years. We would never pull the dolly out of the back trailer. If we did take them part we would just hook the dolly to the tractor to put the back one up. But when you start out with the front one longer than the back one it is easier. 40 \ 25 sets are the easiest. You start out getting fairly straight from the door and back up. After a few dozen times you learn to make small turns. After a few hundred times you can back them around a corner. And do it with the more difficult even sized short trailers. I have never done it with the type you have but I have done it many times with B train doubles. That is where the longer front trailer has a fifth wheel on it and the back trailer sits on that. That is much easier. So I think what you have would be more like that. It is a skill that takes practice. But it can be done. Now triples can not be done as there is no way to change direction of the middle trailer fast enough. The secret as I said is very small corrections very early. And learning right where the front of the back trailer needs to be lined up on the front one when you start to follow the dolly. If it's not somewhat straight back you need to pull up a couple times when you get the back trailer in line. One thing you can't do is change directions even to straighten out. You need to pull up and get things straight and then start back again. But you can not turn the dolly fast enough to change it's direction even a little bit. That requires a pull up or two.

Matt
Support the 2nd amendment. When seconds count the cops are minutes away.

2003 ext cab LS Arrival Blue Edge CTS2 Insight. EFI Live by Lincoln Diesel Specialties. 45% over SAC injectors. Banks inter cooler and big head Airaid CAI Transfer Flow 45 GAL 4" exhaust 18" MB preditor chrome with Cooper 275/65/18 Air Dog 165 & lots of other goodies
1998 Corvette coupe Black
2008 Corvette Vert Jetstream Blue

post #1963 of 2009 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 09:23 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
In looking at the post 1945 that would be tough. The problem is not how short the back one is. The problem is the long overhang on the front one. It would turn the back one real fast. It could be done but only fairly straight back. And it would be real tough to learn. But we hook very short dollies to the front trailer and back them to the back trailer all the time even 90 degree turns. So it could be done. I know I could do it. No more than maybe a 5 or 10 degree turn though.

Matt

2003 ext cab LS Arrival Blue Edge CTS2 Insight. EFI Live by Lincoln Diesel Specialties. 45% over SAC injectors. Banks inter cooler and big head Airaid CAI Transfer Flow 45 GAL 4" exhaust 18" MB preditor chrome with Cooper 275/65/18 Air Dog 165 & lots of other goodies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1964 of 2009 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 09:58 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
It is very sensitive with two, compared to just a single.

I think that's the hardest part to get a feel for, as you're using the middle trailer to swing the rear. Just a leee-tuuul bit of truck steer gets magnified a lot.

But once ya get it all to 'click', it's a fun "Ah hah!" moment. .
duramaxsky and 77cruiser like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #1965 of 2009 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:47 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
All I can suggest is try it one time then report back with disappointment.
Towing only a 5th wheel compared to a ball mount there really isnít much difference backing, other than turning the steering wheel the correct direction when backing.

Towing a 5th wheel with a ball mount trailer behind as doubles, backing up is frustrating.
You wonít be able to back up very far before that trailer jackknifes.

Even my motorhome flat towing my Geo tracker, I can only back up a couple feet before the towbar starts getting in a bind.
If Iíve over shot where Iím stopping I have to disconnect, so I donít do something stupid damaging my towbar, itís not like a trailer.
Done this since 1995.

Iíve got a few years under my belt doing this for a living and personal use including doubles.
You are never supposed to back up flat tow. When backing the steering geometry is wrong and the wheels turn the wrong way. It will damage something. As for 2 trailers just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. Some people see how it has to go and some don't.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Matt

post #1966 of 2009 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 03:30 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
If your referring to the set-up on post 1945, a few feet maybe.
Not with a ball mount for the small trailer, one little bump will end up with slight turn the trailer will start turning out of control until you stop.
You cannot control the trailer to just turn slightly, with a ball mount hitch.
Now maybe if your backing down hill a little the force might keep it straight for a few more feet.

Now if the guy prefers to believe you he can continue trying with failures along the way.
What everyone does with set of doubles as pictured is drops the rear trailer in in a convenient area, sets up his/hers trailer then goes back a hook up his little trailer and take it to camp.

Even with the big rigs set of doubles, if your on a perfectly flat road you might be able to back up 20'-30' max.
The hitch set up is a little more complexed and takes a little more effort for the trailer to stay straight.

Your post does not even count for what us rv'ers use for hitches on doubles.
Mr 77cruiser that has a big difference hitch set-up than a simple ball mount and/or even the hay/grain wagons.
Pay closer attention to what your posting for comparisons, a few will fall for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxsky View Post
You are never supposed to back up flat tow. When backing the steering geometry is wrong and the wheels turn the wrong way. It will damage something. As for 2 trailers just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. Some people see how it has to go and some don't.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Duh, yup, 25 years and still counting flat towing behind my motorhome, I was just mentioning that you might have to get off your a$$ and unhook.
The only way it goes is sideways after several feet unless your backing down grade, the weight force will help keep it straighter.
I don't care how many claims they back this set-up doubles around all over the place, typical manly bull chit.
I've towed something for a living since 1970, including doubles, big rigs and little rigs, I didn't fall off the turnip truck, I jumped off.

Here we are back at this we (well most that know anything) was talking about 5th wheel and doubles with a small ball mount short trailer, your referring to big rigs with big ass heavy tires tight coupler heavy a$$ trailer which will help keep the trailer a little more stable when backing.

In case you don't know this is a Chevy/GMC light duty/med duty diesel forum not Big Rig truckster trailer forum.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #1967 of 2009 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 04:24 PM

I was able to back up my 2 bumper pulls, but i had to start out straight, go slow and pull up once in awhile. Its certainly not easy.
post #1968 of 2009 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Looks like that rest stop on 191 north of Jackson. Is it?
Yes, just past Moran near Oxbow Bend.

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic GMC 2500HD Crew Cab -Silverthorne, CO
@Motodrew : IG / YouTube
Build Thread

Build Sheet: 8" Fabtech lift ; 20x9.5 Fuel Maverick wheels ; 35x12.5 Goodyear Duratracs ; 5" MBRP exhaust w/3" MBRP Downpipe ; LBZ up pipe ; WCFab Stage 2 Intake ; WCFab Intercooler Pipe ; FASS 150 lift pump w/ draw straw ; PCV Reroute ; EFI Live by DDD ; TransGoJr ; Edge Insight CTS2 ; Ruff Stuff Specialties Traction Bars ; Boost Mirrors ; Husky Liners Kickback flaps; Amp Research Steps
post #1969 of 2009 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 06:43 AM

Garage
Towed up a dirt road..... for a day or two
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1102191415a[1].jpg (95.7 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 1103190741_HDR[1].jpg (85.5 KB, 190 views)

Yumadavis
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE
6.6 Duramax 4x4
Acquired 6-20-2019 w/203,157
Stock, set up for 5th whl, PAC brake, 40 gal aux tank
Yuma, AZ
post #1970 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:26 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

It's that time of year again. Time to get the camper out for another cross country road trip. Too bad I didn't get it off the mountain before a foot of snow got dumped on it earlier this week.

Hard to make out but I had to get up on the roof with a push broom to get the snow and ice off. Spent about an hour up there.

Time to chain up. First time I ever used them. Yes, I'm reading the instructions.

The trail that leads to my campsite was completely covered in ice, as it had been plowed and thawed a bit but then refroze. Barely walkable; forget about getting 20k lbs of crap through the pair of switchback turns on a 10 percent grade to the bottom of the hill (especially since some moron thought it would be a great idea to park his 2WD Fiat at the base of the hill right before it makes a hard right). My Army Gore-Tex gear made its money last night (and into this morning).

Initial chain installation -- they're on there, but not quite tight enough. A little back-and-forth and retightening fixed it.

All buttoned up and ready to roll out.

After a bit of tightening.

And here's the trail coming down the mountain. Hope you'll pardon half the field of view being obscured by the dashboard; my wife is vertically challenged (4'10").

More to follow.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank | Reese under-bed FW/GN rail kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode