2019 Quartz Red Denali HD Chrome deleted
2013 GMC SLE fully deleated. Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1972 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 07:56 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Leaving the Big Bend area.

Passengers.

Heading toward Wolf Creek Pass CO from the west; storm's comin'.

Chaining up for the pass. Roads were pretty squirrelly; several inches of accumulated snow on top of an ice sheet.

At the summit.

Finally on the east side. Blew the trailer right turn signal fuse at some point (probably due to salty water getting into the receptacle when I was connecting it), so I swapped it out before continuing on.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
post #1973 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 04:56 PM

JDWarren:. 2 questions:

1. What tires do you have on the truck in pix?

2. My OM (19 2500) cautions against using chains on the rear wheels, and says not to use on front under any circumstances. Both seem silly on a vehicle with so much clearance. Looks like you aren't even using class S tight clearance chains. So, did you experience any interference problems with the chains on all 4's???

2019 Silverado 2500 4WD, Cajun Red
Michelin LTX M/S, bed liner, Alum bed box
Boost mirror turn signal jumper
Trans cooler grill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1974 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 05:14 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
first trip in JUNE 19
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190816_163409740_HDR.jpg (128.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190816_163424159_HDR.jpg (121.5 KB, 109 views)
onetigger725 and jdwarren like this.

2019 Silverado 2500 HD DMAX (L5P) Crew cab single wheel 4X4 LTZ Z71 Black on Black leather..
Diode Dynamic LED fogs ..
Heartland LED hi's and lo's
Boost Auto all 6 on hi Mod
Truxedo tonneau
Rubber bed mat
Eaz-Lift 16,000lb 5'er hitch
2018 30' Keystone Cougar 5'er
post #1975 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 06:49 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins View Post
JDWarren:. 2 questions:

1. What tires do you have on the truck in pix?

2. My OM (19 2500) cautions against using chains on the rear wheels, and says not to use on front under any circumstances. Both seem silly on a vehicle with so much clearance. Looks like you aren't even using class S tight clearance chains. So, did you experience any interference problems with the chains on all 4's???
I never even thought to look at the manual for this, actually. And no, I did not experience any issues (that I know of). Truck sailed up and down that mountain with no problems. Chains came off and went back in the bag afterward. I'm sure I could have gotten away with chains only on the rear, but given how nasty the roads were and the need for braking traction I figured I may as well put on all four.

On a related note, if you don't use chains, you may wind up like this...

...and sit there like an idiot trying to rock the truck out of a ditch when it's frame-deep in snow until a friendly Duramax driver named Will comes and pulls you out.

I offered to take him and his wife out to dinner and/or drinks but they had prior obligations (or didn't want to be seen in public with an NJ moron driving on snow-covered South Dakota dirt roads with Michelin LTX Defender all-season tires in the dead of winter, to answer your other question).

Fortunately, on our way back I was presented with an opportunity to partially redeem myself when I found another traveler who had a blown out tire without the tools requisite to change it. #PayItForward

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank

Last edited by jdwarren; 12-29-2019 at 06:52 PM.
post #1976 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 07:42 PM

Thanks JD. I have the same tires.

Solo on snow/ice, it probably makes more sense to chain the fronts due to the weight. But I'm not sure chains would have pulled you thru the place you were stuck.

On a 2 lane road outside Farmington, nm, we passed a truck/camper on the shoulder and just as we passed I caught a glimpse of an older gentleman struggling with a tire. I searched for a place to turn around for 10 miles. It still bothers me that I was not able to get back and assist.
onetigger725 and jdwarren like this.

Trans cooler grill
post #1977 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:02 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins View Post
Thanks JD. I have the same tires.

Solo on snow/ice, it probably makes more sense to chain the fronts due to the weight. But I'm not sure chains would have pulled you thru the place you were stuck.
So, basically we were being tourist morons trying to see Badlands National Park. Not sure we would have been able to see anything anyway due to the blowing snow. I didn't even realize we were driving on a high-crown dirt road because it appeared to be flat with some snow on the right side. Well, it was only flat because of the snow -- and it was about 12 inches deep. Which wouldn't have been an issue if I hadn't hit it at 35 MPH thus causing the truck to pull hard right, at which point it went off the road completely into several feet of snow. Screwed.

With the chains and going a little more cautiously I'm sure I'd have been fine. But after attempting to dig the thing out in 50 MPH gusts for an hour and getting covered in snow I was soaked and freezing and just wanted to get the hell out of there. And so we did.

Quote:
On a 2 lane road outside Farmington, nm, we passed a truck/camper on the shoulder and just as we passed I caught a glimpse of an older gentleman struggling with a tire. I searched for a place to turn around for 10 miles. It still bothers me that I was not able to get back and assist.
Newsflash: you are an older gentleman. Well, older, at least. Unsure about the gentleman part.

Anyway, I understand the predicament. My policy is that if there is no life-threatening weather I only pull over to assist when the following two conditions are met:

1) The vehicle has an obvious mechanical problem that is currently being addressed; i.e., I see people trying to work on or fix things.

2) I have the ability to bring my own vehicle to a safe/controlled stop and fully clear the lane of traffic.

Today it was easy because I was only going about 50 MPH, I saw them well ahead of time, the shoulder was plenty large (and I had no trailer attached), and they were obviously trying to fix a problem. Plus, the weather was getting close to life-threatening without shelter so I was even more willing to help.
onetigger725 likes this.

post #1978 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:34 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

JD , is that a step on the front that fits a hitch?

2019 Chevrolet 4500HD CC 4X4 Flatbed
2018 Chevrolet 1500 CC 4X4 High Country 6.2 liter
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 Flatbed--SOLD
2011 Peterbilt 337 hauler with 360HP 8.3 Cummins--SOLD
1957 GMC 1 ton flatbed with 22K original miles.
3 different Kubotas
2003 Chevrolet 2500HD CC: 2011 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 and 2013 3500HD ex. cab 4X4-- all sold.
post #1979 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:48 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambor View Post
JD , is that a step on the front that fits a hitch?
Sure is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #1980 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:54 PM

Newsflash: you are an older gentleman. Well, older, at least. Unsure about the gentleman part.

Anyway, I understand the predicament. My policy is that if there is no life-threatening weather I only pull over to assist when the following two conditions are met:

1) The vehicle has an obvious mechanical problem that is currently being addressed; i.e., I see people trying to work on or fix things.

2) I have the ability to bring my own vehicle to a safe/controlled stop and fully clear the lane of traffic.

Accurate, but........ouch. In my mind I'm still ....much .... less.... old.

Yes I have some criteria for stopping also, mostly around our security. If they had been younger or lots of people around I would not consider stopping. I'm a conspiracy theorist at heart.

The other day I passed a guy on the side of the interstate and he was changing a flat tire while open-carrying a .45 on his hip for all to see. Message received. (and what a great idea if you are in a state where it is legal).
jdwarren likes this.

Trans cooler grill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode