Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Camper towing pics

677K views 2K replies 597 participants last post by  Boxer1200 
#1 ·
I am a camper dealer down here in Statesboro GA. Lets see some pictures of everyone towing their campers.

See less See more
Reactions: Jake's Duramax AT4
#252 ·
I love the looks and functionality of the porch and goose neck!

#5 ·

#7 ·

That is crazy can you give some details on what you did. That is awesome looking!!

#8 ·
mainec;1505754 That is crazy can you give some details on what you did. That is awesome looking!![/QUOTE said:
Well let me start by stating why. I wanted a toy hauler, but all the standard 5th wheel units I looked at were really tall roof, as much as 13'2" needed for clearance. Also the ones I like where near or over 80k. Where I like to camp that height is a bit much. I looked at a trailer that was factory built with an open front deck and loved the idea.
So last fall I went down and got a 2011 yearend close out unit that I liked. Then this winter I made the full gooseneck trailer, cut the axles and stuff from under the camper frame and welded the otherwise untouched camper frame to the new gooseneck trailer.
I added dual fuel tanks in the gooseneck area. One is 75 gallon diesel, the other is 40 gallon gas for the bikes. This is what a cascade effect is though. Buy the camper I like, modify that the way I llke, then that makes a great excuse to get a new truck.
The mods caused a small problem with my 2500HD. The rated pin load was only 3500 lbs and that trailer empty has a pin load of 2930 lbs. Add the fuel up there and the motorcycles would put it a bit over. I wanted to keep the standard 60/40 ratio for the wheel spacing on the trailer but I also needed to have the wheels line up with the holes in the camper. So with that in mind I have about 70/30 ratio for this trailer. I figure this dually should handle this trailer though. The empty weight of the trailer (with batteries not pictured) is 11700 lbs. I estimate 3-3500 lbs for wet load so I'm sure I'll be fine now.

Oh by the way, I have about 31k into that trailer. That includes the purchase price of the camper and all that I did for building the gooseneck.

#44 ·
Man that is really slick! We have been wanting to buy a toy hauler to fit a Polaris Ranger Crew......but heck I might go buy me a gooseneck and mount my 28' bumper pull to it like you did.

#10 ·
LJPeterson, where was your first pic taken?

This was with me borrowing my parents camper over at Fish Lake near Leavenworth.

Reactions: xsf18cdf
#14 ·
Does the frame of the gooseneck go all the way to the back of the travel trailer?? More or less just set the "body" of the travel trailer on the flatbed gooseneck? Did you use the axles and wheels off the travel trailer or the gooseneck?

#16 · (Edited)
The frame goes all the way back and and the two frames are welded together. What this does in effect is to have a double frame. Let me tell you, that took all the floor flex out of it even with the corner jacks up.
The axles and wheels are new for the gooseneck. Twin 7k torsion's, though after taking that trailer across the scales I guess that wasn't needed. The axle weight is 8300 lbs (trailer empty) and the old axles where 5200 rated each.

#15 ·
Every time I hear someone say that their half-ton will tow as much as my 3/4 ton I just compare it to having sex with your cousin.......it can get the job done.....but the longterm effects can really F%$ something up.

That is the funniest thing I think I have ever read on here!!!

Reactions: TerryRH
#136 ·
I like hearing that one too, I just ask'em if they actually pass anyone else going up hill like I can:rof:rof

Reactions: LMLGMC
#17 ·
See a lot of pics of people towing trailers I carry my camper on my back....

Reactions: TerryRH
#20 ·
I didn't do anything to compensate for the lift the campers axles happen to sit just far enough back that when loaded it nearly levels out being 36 foot long an Lil over 11k

#21 ·
And the camper sits tall as it is you can lift the camper up just like a truck we have done so before to make lifted trucks pull 5th wheels easier but when doing so you cause the camper to get a lot more top heavy.

#25 ·
Corvette Phil, there is nothing wrong with a bed load camper. I grew up camping in one of those with my family.
The only problem I see is that they cost as much as some bumper pulls, and they are so much smaller.

#27 ·
Man I cannot wait to get a travel trailer!!!

#28 ·
if you have kids they will love it, look at everything on the market, ask owners about everything they like and dislike, just remember if you want lots of relax room you will not have lots of sleeping beds and they will have to be made up every night and taken down in the am, our last TT had a loft and tons of beds, we bought a new one this year and went with a huge living room and wife hates makein beds for the kids on the floor

#29 ·
We are definetly going to go big. We have taken a 24 and 25 Wilderness out for about 10 days each. Definetly not enough room for us. We have seen some 5vers with almost like another suite in the back for the kids. It has bunks and a little sofa w/ TV for them. I thought that was really cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.