Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Potentially buying travel trailer, looking for recommendations

10K views 105 replies 27 participants last post by  BlackTank2014 
#1 ·
So my wife and I are entertaining the idea of buying our first travel trailer. We purchased our truck a few years back, opting for the diesel for the sole purpose of one day being able to afford to buy a trailer.

Well 2014 is looking like its going to be our year. We both just got promotions, and we are just about to make our last credit card debt payment (from purchasing a new house, appliances, etc. a little over a year ago) so we will be freeing up a monthly expense, that we feel we could apply towards a trailer.

So I'm looking for some input for people on the forum on what I should look for, what I should avoid, which brands are solid etc. when it comes to trailers.

My in-laws have a 38' Bighorn 5th wheel, that is incredible, and it was my first experience into the whole RV'ing concept. Now unfortunately something like what they have, has spoiled me, and there's no way we'll be able to afford something that nice right out the gate. However, I've been looking and we're going to be going to the RV show in a couple of weeks, and I feel like we can find something decent in our price range.

My only criteria is:

26'-30' length
Travel Trailer, not 5th wheel (I want to keep my options open to possibly buy a quad one day that I could throw in the bed of the truck)
must have a minimum of one slide
Air Conditioning and obviously a decent heater
Roll out canopy

I really don't care for the models where the master bedroom is only separated by a curtain, and would prefer a wall with a pocket door or something.

We don't have kids yet, but need to buy something that in the next couple of years we could have a young one (plan on having two kids total) with us, and obviously we can upgrade down the road as they get bigger and our family needs change.

So what would you recommend?? Looking forward to any input! Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
There are a lot of great options out there for you. Look around your area and see if there a RV showing coming soon, tis the season. My recomendation from personal experience is this. For your first towable, find something close to what you think you want used and cheap. Reason being is once your in one you definately find options such as number beds, storage area and what not that you will want in the future. If you by something cheap the first time out you will be more apt to get your money back out of it when you pull the trigger on your exact towable. My very first trailer was a 26 foot jayco with bunks, and I soon found out my kids slept in side of it about a total of 5 times, they prefered having their own tents, which then the bunk just took up space. We were on the look out and went to as many dealers as possible looking at different floor plans and options, when we found our perfect 5th wheel... Just my .02 worth... Happy Hunting

#3 ·
I agree with Shov, get something in the lower end of your price range to start. Use it for 1-2 years to give you sometime to really find out what you want.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses so far! Right now I know I don't want one with bunks, as we don't yet have kids and it would be a waste of space. Who knows down the road.

I have about $2k that I can allocate for a down right now, so if they require 10% that puts me at $20k max. I'd like to see my payments at around $150-$200/mo max. I've been reading all about 10-15yr loans, which appear typical for RV financing.

So I'm guessing we'll look for a $10-12k trailer first, then if we find "the one" at a slightly higher price point, we could consider. Both our credit scores are very high, so I'm interested to see what we qualify for, interest rate wise.

One other thing I noticed is that right now (being February, I'm guessing) the price difference between some used models vs. 2013 models aren't that great. So I feel that if I can find a "new" 2013 model that a dealer needs to get off the lot I might go that route vs. used. But I certainly wouldn't be against used.

#6 ·
I have about $2k that I can allocate for a down right now, so if they require 10% that puts me at $20k max. I'd like to see my payments at around $150-$200/mo max. I've been reading all about 10-15yr loans, which appear typical for RV financing.
NO!! For the love of god don't finance a trailer at even 10 yrs!!! let alone 15!

In all honesty, if you have $2,000 to put down then you can "afford" a $2,000 trailer. Now, I know it may be a lot to ask to say don't ever take a loan out ever again (although it's smart) and I have been guilty of financing a few things. But for the love of god DO NOT finance something like this like it's a house! Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

#7 ·
Jayco makes some solid tt's. If you plan on winter traveling get one that is four seasons. Heated tanks and insulated floor or itll be like stepping out onto ice getting out of bed in the winter lol. You might consider getting a used one for the first try. You can always find em really nice and could probably even find a 5th wheel for cheap!

#8 ·
My first trailer was a popup, now it wasn't the standard popup, it was a Fleetwood Evolution E2, had a toy hauler platform on the front, 31" tall A/T tires on it and some diamond plate accents. It worked great for a first camper, easy to tow and fit the family when the kids were small. Two years ago, we realized we had outgrown it and sold it. We currently have a 2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS. We purchased it at the spring RV show here and got a SMOKING deal on it, 33% off sticker. It can sleep 11, has 2 slides, outdoor kitchen and 32" LCD TV. It is a pig though, empty it weighs in at just over 8,000. It is a bumper pull trailer as I, like you, wanted the bed of the truck available for the dirt bikes (in my case). The Duramax tows it like it isn't even there. I put 1/2 down and financed the rest for 6 years keeping the payment around $150. That makes it a bit easier during the long WI Winters to see it sitting in the shop unused. No regrets, has everything we wanted and works great. Only issue was a bad circuit board in the heater which they fixed under warranty.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116840...&authkey=Gv1sRgCJjS5a6B7auRTQ&feat=directlink

#9 ·
Man that is a sick trailer! Thanks for sharing.

NO!! For the love of god don't finance a trailer at even 10 yrs!!! let alone 15!

In all honesty, if you have $2,000 to put down then you can "afford" a $2,000 trailer. Now, I know it may be a lot to ask to say don't ever take a loan out ever again (although it's smart) and I have been guilty of financing a few things. But for the love of god DO NOT finance something like this like it's a house! Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
While I can appreciate the mentality of paying cash for everything, its just not a reality for everyone. My wife (a teacher) and I (early career in IT) make modest salaries, and while we have plenty to cover our living expenses, put some into savings every month etc. it doesn't leave but $500-600/mo left over for "toys." So if I were to try and buy a $15k trailer, its gonna take a long time before I'm even capable of affording one paying cash. Also, when you get low interest rates, and with the fact that you can write off the interest on an RV loan as a second home (assuming you don't already own one) it makes financing a trailer not too terribly bad of a deal.

I will agree that 10-15yrs sounds terrifying and I still need to do plenty more research, but from talking with a variety of people I know who own trailers, (and boats for that matter) that is how its done. I mean who can really afford to own a $80-$100k RV and not finance it anyways???

#12 ·
I couldn't agree more with premis. I make a rule that I don't finance anything for more than 6 years tops (except for the mortgage - initial 20 yrs, knock off at least 1 yr on each renewal... pay weekly or every 2 weeks.. = no more mortgage in 15 yrs = more for toys :thumb)

We started with a used 1975 23ft Taurus in the early 80s, I kept it going any way I could and finally bought a 2010 Salem 25T in 2010 at the February RV show (show model = discount :D). I was fortunate enough to be able to pay cash, but I would not have financed it for more than 5 yrs.

Set your sights a little lower. Keep an eye out for a deal -we looked for 10 years before upgrading - just me, I don`t do anything without thinking it to death :cookoo[1]: , and be careful of what you buy. Sometimes a real `deal`can be someone else`s problem.

Look at how much you are going to use it, too. Sometimes it`s cheaper to rent one and let someone else do the maintenance.

Best of luck in your hunt.

Cheers,
Scott

#13 ·
We went from tent camping, to a 16’ pop-up, to a used inexpensive 30’ StarCraft bunk house 5 years ago and we’re getting ready to buy a new TT sometime this summer. But it’s taken us over a year to finally decide on THE one. (I’m retired…I don’t get in a hurry about anything)

At some point you’ll have to narrow your criteria down a little. At $20k in the 26’-30’ range anything you look at will have an AC/furnace and a canopy. You’ll also find a bunch with at least one slide. Looking for a bedroom door rather than a curtain will narrow it down some.

What I suggest is, go on some of the manufacturers’ websites and look at their floor plans. That’ll give you a better idea what’s out there. Personally…I like Jayco, but Rockwood, Puma, Dutchmen, Keystone, (to name a few) all make nice campers.

Once you decide on a floor plan, all you have to do then is decide whether you want smooth fiberglass sides, aluminum sides, wood construction or aluminum construction. Good luck with that debate.

At around $20k you should be able to find a nice new camper that meets your criteria. (You can probably even find a good used 5th wheel at that price) NEVER pay MSRP. 25-30% off sticker on a cash deal is a good rule of thumb. You’ll have an easier time getting that now than in about 90 days…unless you’ve got a price locked in on an order now (we were able to do that).

If you buy used, make sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for any signs of water damage, inside and out. Look for cracks in the seals on the roof, soft spots in the floors, smell of mildew, water streaks on the inside walls and around vents, that sort of thing. Also pay attention to what shape the tires are in…learn how to read the date codes. If they’re more than three years old you could be replacing them real soon.

That’s my two cents….happy hunting!

#14 ·
Biggest thing to use when looking at used, is your nose. Stay away from the musty, mildew smells. They are already leaking. It`s not if it will leak, it`s when.

Wayne has some good advice, here.
Not trying to put you off used, but you have to cover your ass. Nothing worse than looking in that rear view mirror than seeing the body of the trailer bouncing up and down on a smooth road. That 75 Taurus had a lot of rot. I replaced the whole front, 75% of the floor and a bunch of the walls. OK if you can do it, but you have to know what your limit is and the price has to reflect the work needed.

RVing has always been good, even when stuff happens. The kids still remember the trips. Sometimes the more memorable ones were the sometimes frequent breakdowns.

We decided on new after 25 yrs in an old one, I`m getting to old to constantly fix things -still fix them, just not constantly anymore. Doing more travelling and use it for hunting camp too. We keep the trailer ready to go most of the year and take off when we can.

#15 · (Edited)
Don't do it. nono

Know this: 1st and foremost, like the Mobile Home industry, they are in Business to sell financing. Their mfr'd product is simply a tool, to sell you financing.
8yrs? 10yrs? nono

"Low interest I can deduct..." If it's so low, where's the savings?

The problem is, the depreciation on these things is MASSIVE! You'll always owe 2 more years than what it's worth, if buying new.

$35k, seemed at the time that you got a good discounted Deal. humpin:
However, 5 years later, y'all are sick of the design and NOW know what you truly need to fit yours and your family's needs. Your trying to dump it on C/L for the $17-$18k you owe, but it's only worth $12-$13k. Downerrr If you finance for 10 years, pick wisely, for you'll be in it for 7-8 years to outrun the depreciation

Look, all of the mfrs use the same 3rd party mfrs to outfit their rigs. 1 of 3 different AC mfrs, 1 of 2 Fridge makers, 1 of 3 toilet tossers...it's all about the same. It's the layout of all of those (floorplan) that'll fit YOU/Her, and that makes it all work or not.

Look around, front B/R or rear, center kitchen or not, bath layout... rental places are an excellent place to start to get your feet wet. A single weekend can reveal Lots y'all would never think of.

1st time out, shoot for the $8-$9k price point for a TT, Cash or as much as possible. Shop it heavy in numerous areas (100-200miles?) you're willing to drive, and there's quality, well-kept used gems to be had.

Next price point is the $12-$13k range.

#16 · (Edited)
No finance lectures here....jeesh.
Bought my last Fiver in '03 sold in '13. No regrets. Yep financed.
Memories are real and we never got sick of the floor plan. It was a Forest River 28BH.

Go to the shows yeah. Make detailed comparisons of the models that you like. Get all the brochures you can and check all the critical things between your favorites head to head.
Get as heavy of axles and payload capacity that you can find. Some brands go lean on frame and axle to add shiny stuff at a price point.

If you liked the Big Horn, you may like the Sundance line of travel trailers from Heartland (Same manufacturer as Big Horn). I have a 2013 Sundance 3300 Bunkhouse fifth wheel.
The Sundance trailer feature auto leveling which would be pretty nice.

I avoided the local dealers and saved close to 15K by driving to Elkhart, Indiana to get it.
I had zero problems getting warranty work locally. WIN WIN.

There are owners forums for almost all brands. Dig into the warranty, review and potential owner areas for honest reviews. Happy shopping.

#17 ·
Thank you everyone for your input, it has been helpful as I continue to look into purchasing our first TT.

As mentioned previously, we will be attending an RV show in early March, and we will have the ability to look through a variety of trailers then, which will hopefully help us find "the one" we want or at least the style and we can go from there.

As for the financing part, I agree that 10-15yrs is too long. As I mentioned, I just noticed that a lot of people do that, and it seems fairly common place. I think for our situation and what I'm comfortable with coupled with what I want to do, would be to find a trailer for a max price of $17k, put $2k down making our financing $15k. I will look at doing a 10yr loan, as long as there is no penalty for paying it off early, and with that hopefully it will put my monthly payments at about $150/mo. Then I will plan to pay $300/mo, thus paying off the trailer in roughly 5yrs vs. the 10. This will also keep my payment low, so if we have a tight month due to some unexpected expenses (out of town guests, something breaks around the house, etc.) I can just pay the $150 and be set. I also look at the fact that I've got about 3yrs worth of payments left on my truck, so once that is paid off I can move those payments to the trailer, again making sure its paid off at, or before 5yrs.

In my mind, even if we do have kids within the next year or two, we could live with a trailer like what we're looking for with really small ones easily for up to 5yrs as they would only be maybe 2-3yrs old at the time.

Still a lot more I need to think about, and I won't really know for sure what we want to do until we go to the RV show and see whats on the market, and what we can get for that $17k max price tag. Thanks again for all the input, and being a sound board for me to bounce ideas off of, makes the thought process easier, and also with me being younger, helps keeping me from making a financial decision I'll regret because of inexperience.

#18 ·
we were looking for the same type. just got an 02 Coachmen 29' with super slide and love it. door tot he bedroom, big shower, everything works great and got it for 5800!!

it will be our first one and im sure not the last, we love it! definitely get a slide out...makes a huge difference.

wife and daughter...

other direction..

#19 ·
Thats awesome! I dig the configuration. Thanks for sharing

#20 ·
We bought our 1st travel trailer a about 4 years ago it was a great unit 1998 Nomad 30' no slideout, master bedroom up front and bunks/bathroom in the rear. It was a great way to transition from tent camping wich we did for many years. Bought it for 3,500 dollars

After our 2nd year we set foot inside a similar length travel trailer with a slideout and were sold on getting one. We sold our 98' for 3,200 dollars did not take much of a loss and bought a 2009 Forest River Salem. Quad bunks in the back master up front and a deep slide out in the living area.

both of the travel trailers had closing bedroom doors with a solid wall for the master. We too liked that and did not care for the curtain style doors or walls.
we bought that unit for 13,500 and sold it for 12,600 took a small hit again but well worth the loss as we do ALOT of camping in the warmer months here on L.I.

Went to the RV show in Hershey last fall and finally made the plunge into a 5th wheel. 2013 Forest River Wildcat 323QB. Quad bunks up front in this layout with the master in the rear. 3 slide outs (1 shallow slide in the bunkhouse up front and 1 shallow in the rear master as well as a large deep slideout in the living area) Only camped in it twice last fall before we put it away for this long,nasty,snow ridden shitfest of a winter we have had.

I have since sold the Dodge Gasser and ended up here on this forum with my 1st diesel. The wife looking to travel off the island and into the foothills of upstate NY and possibly to Florida didnt seem like a great idea with the gasser. I have been after a diesel since I bought my 2nd camper the wife held me back. As for financing no lectures here everyone can make their own big boy and big girl decisions around here. Personally I took a small loan to get into this 5th wheel and it will be paid of in less than 2 months from now. Also bought my truck for cash but thats my situation everyones is different. I'd say get a camper thats has more room than you think you need. If kids are in the future get something with that in mind unless the idea of upgrading in the future does not scare you. If you do plan on an upgrade then absolutley i'd suggest buying used. I like the deep slideouts over the shallow ones it makes a big difference. You definatley will get a feel of what you would like after spending a season camping. We love it and soo look forward to it every year.

#21 ·
Here is my .02. I would go used for your first trailer and get pre-approved from your credit union before you go shopping in case you find the dream TT. You really can't haggle with the dealer if they are also financing you. Dealers don't pay squat for trade ins so there is alot of room to deal. Here is my story. We spent several months shopping for TTs and found two we really liked, 32ft keystone cougers. One dealer wanted $10,900 (one slide) the other dealer wanted $18,000(2 slides) The more expensive unit was from a dealer close to home and had two slides. Strait up told the dealer that we were not even close on price and offered them $10,000 for the trailer and pointed out where to find the other unit on the web and we were heading their if they wouldn't come down. We had our own financing and would go some where else. Ten minutes later the salesman came back with a counter of $10,300 for the rig. Sold. When you get pre-approved for a loan you will already know what your monthly payments are..Go high on the pre approval and try to spend less on the trailer. Hope this helps and good luck.

#22 ·
Thanks!

Good info! I was actually thinking of getting pre-approved before going too. I did that before we bought our truck, so I knew what I could spend, and it was really helpful. I figure too, that if we get pre-approved, and they think they can beat it through one of their lenders, then let them try and fight to get my business.

#23 ·
Dealers have A LOT of room to negotiate.
Get some quotes from some of the RV wholesale places, dealers in my area could not come even close. I would have gladly paid a bit more to keep it local.

I bought mine at a wholesale place 1 mile from the factory. Had a great experience and a good walk through of the unit.

#24 ·
Lot of choices for you. I tend to agree with prier5. Don't sweat the floorplan too much. Some are not workable, some are less than ideal. If you find something you like, stick to your budget and go for it. If a family comes along, you can deal with what you have for at least a couple of years before finding something more suited to the kids. We had the same trailer with basically 1 big room with 2 convertable dinets (1 was a double and a single, the other was a double) and had no real problems - you just work around the issues. We didn't upgrade until the kids were grown and moved out and bought what we liked for us.

Keep your eyes open, do the RV shows and the dealers, look on craigslist etc. You will find something that is suitable, though you might have to compromise on options. Above all, make it an adventure hunting for and using your trailer.

#25 ·
in that price range, most banks will go 12 years. If you spend more, you can go 15. All the brands have some nice models like you are looking for. You have already made the right choice by going to an upcoming RV show. Spend all the time there you can. Imagine every camping possibility. You will think everyone is the right one. Hard to decide.

#27 · (Edited)
Get a KZ 242sbh. I think they go for around $15k new.

http://www.kz-rv.com/sportsmen-show-stopper/S242SBHSS.html

Smaller means cheaper, lighter, easier to park, easier to store, more incentive to be outside instead of hangning out in the trailer, more campground options. 24' plans give bunks at the back for the future kids, and an island queen bed. On your (and my) budget, there's no need for anything more. In 10 years, when your kids need more space, you'll have money saved for the replacement.

I agree with the others, financing long term is a bad idea. Especially for over 5 years. I had most of the money for my trailer by saving, and what I borrowed for, I paid off w/i 6 months. A $15k trailer and $300 payments mean it should be paid off pretty quick.

#29 ·
Another note for you to consider I was offered 9,200 for a trade in on my 09 Travel Trailer wich I passed on. Bought my new 5th wheel and sold my travel trailer privately for 12,600 within 2 weeks. Gives you an idea of how much the markup is

#31 ·
Find one that you know you can grow into. Don't settle on a smaller one because of price. There will be one out there that will fill your needs at the price you want. Expand the search a bit. Consider all prices as negotiable. Wholesale dealers on used units drastically low ball on trade-ins to deal wholesale to wholesale. A great place to start! As mentioned before, deep vs shallow depth slides make a huge difference in your living area. Good luck in your search.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#32 ·
I recommend buying used. Every camper is going to have little problems here and there. I bought used campers, then made the plunge on a new toy hauler, then went back to used. Only really lost money on the one I bought new. And my latest used one is the nicest camper I've ever owned. The way I see it, for the same price I can have a more expensive used model than new model and after one trip, the new one is "used" anyway.

#33 ·
Also, bunks are nice for having friends stay with you, even if you don't have kids yet. Get an outdoor kitchen because they are awesome. It really keeps the inside cleaner from keeping people from going in and out constantly. And is just very handy for every situation. My next camper will have an outside door that opens to a bathroom and maybe a fireplace. (electric)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.