Can my 2500 tow this 5th wheel - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezkieler850 View Post
I hear you. I personally never attach any safety chains, even on a bumper pull. I also don't latch the coupler. That way if the trailer rolls it won't roll the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 04:51 PM

Use your Safety Chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural LML View Post
Yes the good old what if factor and throwing in the car load of kids theory. How many trailers you here come loose? I know it's the lesser of two evils and another thing to debate. Just was adding my two cents.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I came up on just such an accident a couple of years ago. An unsecured trailer came loose on a two lane country road and hit a kid driving a Corolla head on. Killed him. Turns out his mother was a local teacher we knew. Just tragic, and criminally stupid.

So all of you who recommend leaving safety chains off, shame on you. No way, no how, and at no time... It can and does happen, and a manslaughter charge will keep you in jail for a long time.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 02:43 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf199 View Post
My tow vehicle is a 2014 Gmc 2500 4x4 standard box with a 3.73 rear axle with the Duramax. I am looking at a 41ft Gateway that has a dry weight of 13100lbs, GVWR 15500lbs, and a dry hitch wt of 2020lbs. I have installed the airlift 5000 airbags to my truck. Is anyone pulling similar weight with a 3/4 ton?
Those weights don't add up... Hitch weight is generally ~20% on a properly balanced 5er. YOur going to be closer to 3Klbs pin weight fully loaded which is a lot for any 3/4 ton.

2012 Quicksilver SLT CCSB Sub 200mi regen club, fuel guzzling, dealer queen LEMON...

Amp Powersteps
Insight CTS
305/55/20 Mickey ATZ P3
Bilstein 5100s
Rancho stabilizer
B&W Turnover Ball w/Andersen Ultimate 5er Hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 02:50 PM

Garage
Youll be fine

2015.5 LML, DuramaxTuner Stealth 64 Turbo, Fleece CP3K, Airdog II 4G with DRP Sump, 3 Y-Bridge and Intercooler Piping, 2 Uppipes, 3 Downpipe, 5 Flo-Pro, DRP EPC Fooler, Edge CTS2, Tuned by All In Truck Performance
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

I pull just under 12,000 (last time I weighed it) with a pin weight of 2390. Airbags work best at 25 psi for a ride that's equal to preloaded height with 10 psi. If you go with airbags, make sure the lines are separate from each other or the outside bag will transfer pressure to the inside bag on a corner creating more lean, you don't want that. I just have a Schrader valve inside each wheel well and keep mine at 25 psi all the time, it rides good. All the extra fittings involved with onboard systems can be a source of hard to find leaks. Also be sure to keep at least 7-10 lbs in the airbags all the time or you can damage them due to chafing friction.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, EFI Live V2 & DSP5 by Rob, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Well after making a couple of trips pulling my Gateway with my 2500 and continuing to look at payload capacity and the legality of everything involved with pulling a rig this size, I decided to upgrade to a 3500 series truck. I test drove a Ford and Dodge but in the end decided on a 2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ DRW. This truck is awesome and I can't wait to hit the road. At first I looked mainly at a SRW because this truck is my daily vehicle but I decided at this price the increase in payload of the DRW is worth the added concerns of the size increase of the vehicle.
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 08:28 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf199 View Post
Well after making a couple of trips pulling my Gateway with my 2500 and continuing to look at payload capacity and the legality of everything involved with pulling a rig this size, I decided to upgrade to a 3500 series truck. I test drove a Ford and Dodge but in the end decided on a 2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ DRW. This truck is awesome and I can't wait to hit the road. At first I looked mainly at a SRW because this truck is my daily vehicle but I decided at this price the increase in payload of the DRW is worth the added concerns of the size increase of the vehicle.
seems like you are the smartest man yet to buy a truck that is not overloaded by the trailer, guarantee it will be a joy to pull . People towing 15k with a 2500HD are overloaded and if they say otherwise show me a weight ticket.

2006 LBZ , AD2, DP and 4 inch,, nicktane,reroute,hid,gauges, ATP tuning, airbags,onboard compressor, superglide, PPE box
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
seems like you are the smartest man yet to buy a truck that is not overloaded by the trailer, guarantee it will be a joy to pull . People towing 15k with a 2500HD are overloaded and if they say otherwise show me a weight ticket.
It's true. I speak from 1st hand experience.
Don't ever go by any published or written weights. Not even the weight on the trailer. And especially not what the dealer says. Run your rig over the scale and watch in amazement when you see the true weight of your 5er. I bought my toy hauler based on the fact that the manufacturer claimed weights didn't exceed the weight ratings of my truck. Well the dry weight ended up being 2400 lbs underrated and the pin weight was 1100lbs more than claimed. I guess you live and learn. I've scaled a lot of RV's. I've never seen one that even came close to the weights it was rated at. All were way heavier than claimed. I do have to say though, I'm still blown away by how well my LML handles the weight of my trailer. These trucks are way underrated. But it's good because if they rated them higher than you'd have a lot of 1st timers getting into some serious trouble.

2015.5 Denali 3500 SRW/CCSB - Iridium Metallic, all options. Curt Q20 5th Wheel, Access Tonneau Cover

SOLD 2013 LTZ 2500HD CCSB - Deleted, Autocal w/Kory Willis Tunes, 4" FloPro w/ Muffler, S&B CAI, EGR Blocker Plate, CTS w/ EGT Probe, Curt Q20 5th Wheel, Ride Rite Air Bags, 275/70/18 Dyanpro ATM's, Stock Ride Height

40' KZ Inferno Toy Hauler
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
What are the actual weights I can tow? I have an 08 2500HD CCSB that is stock for for now. Some tuning, exhaust, and deletes coming soon but no airbags or any other suspension mods. We are considering Grand Design Reflection 311BHS 5th wheel with a UVW of 11,185 - Hitch Weight of 2,180 - and GVWR of 13,995. I've found ratings for my truck between 9,900 and 15,000lbs. It'll be hooked up via gooseneck hitch and not the typical 5th wheel hitch. Looking or facts and safety, too much at risk to not be right.

08 2500 HD CCSB LTZ, S&B CAI, PCV reroute, Edge Insight CTS, Bilstein 5100's and color matched Snugtop bed cover

Totaled 6-29-16: 04.5 LLY 2500HD CCSB, EFI Live by Idaho Rob, Edge Insight CTS, K&N 77 series intake, S&B Turbo MP, Sinister EGR delete, AFE Hot & Cold pipes, Rancho 9000 front & rear, Magnaflow 3" turbo down pipe to 4" turbo back, Bully Dog shift enhancer, Go Rhino D2 bars
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:03 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trossi View Post
......... It'll be hooked up via gooseneck hitch and not the typical 5th wheel hitch. Looking or facts and safety, too much at risk to not be right.
Better make sure that your trailer warranty (if there is one in play here) is not voided by using gooseneck on a 5vr.
Sierraluva likes this.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in