"Check Trailer Wiring" Warning Message - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 01:52 AM

I put aftermarket controller in and worked better. I wish there was a work around to totally redo the wiring from cab to back, at least new harnesses etc. my trucks a bit older and well been salting her for years!

2008 3500 DRW, EFI with Rob's tunes, PPE downpipe and Flopro 5in strait pipe, HSP Y bridge/egr delete, HSP hot side I/C pipe, PVC rerouted, Fass 165, CTS 2, Trans go jr, Airaid intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 11:53 AM

Garage
Just had this happen to me on a recent trip from SF Bay Area to Los Angeles area. It was on 12/26 and the trip took 12-1/2 hours, but half way through the trip, I received the Check Trailer Wiring message as well as TSC light coming on. However, I WASN'T pulling any of my trailers.

The TSC light remained on in the dash so I pulled off the freeway I wasn't really moving on and tried to clear it by turning off the ignition and restarting, yet each time, the message and light re-appeared. As I was also travelling with my Wife and dog, my dog started getting restless so I pulled off into a large gravel area left the truck running and let the dog run around and go pee.

When I returned to the truck...warning light was off and message never came back on during the entire rest of the trip. However, I received an email from OnStar explaining that the warning was triggered and to make an appt with my dealer.

Thoughts/comments, should I go to the dealer?

2019 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD CC DRW. Frost White/Jet Black interior. L5P w/Allison 6sp. Bone stock and looking for you all to tell me what's supposed to added...or shouldn't be to this signature. Gasser converting over to that diesel lifestyle
Adds:
Tonnosport Roll-up Cover | DuHa underseat storage | center console top tray | Carhartt seatcovers F&B in Gravel Gray | Lund Window Deflectors | Swinging bed toolbox pass. side | Duraflap Mud Guards | BedRug Bed Mat |
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 12:33 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

TSC light? What does this mean, in English? Maybe Traction Control System (TCS) ??

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator

Last edited by Ron Nielson; 01-01-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 06:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
TSC light? What does this mean, in English? Maybe Traction Control System (TCS) ??
My apologies. Yes, TCS.

2019 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD CC DRW. Frost White/Jet Black interior. L5P w/Allison 6sp. Bone stock and looking for you all to tell me what's supposed to added...or shouldn't be to this signature. Gasser converting over to that diesel lifestyle
Adds:
Tonnosport Roll-up Cover | DuHa underseat storage | center console top tray | Carhartt seatcovers F&B in Gravel Gray | Lund Window Deflectors | Swinging bed toolbox pass. side | Duraflap Mud Guards | BedRug Bed Mat |
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 12:32 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Don't go the dealer, yet. Scan your truck for DTC codes. If you don't have a code reader, local parts store will read for you for free. Then react to the DTC that was found.

Lots of posts about TCS system problems on forums like this one and also Youtube. Could be any one of hundreds of problems.

Ron Nielson
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 07:44 PM

We’re experiencing the same issue. We just purchased a 2015 GMC 2500HD along with a 2007 feather lite trailer. New brakes were installed along with a junction box and a new cable. Our mechanic was trying to save us a little money using a cheaper plug that was somewhat loose in the truck receptacle so we were having connection issues. After installing a better plug we now have brakes, turn signals, brake lights, emergency flashers and running lights We also have “check trailer wiring” notification along with the annoying sounds.
After searching forums this weekend we’re thinking it would be best for us to have an aftermarket controller installed. We looking at the Tekonsha P3. Especially considering all the problems with the factory integrated system.
My question is, will this solve the problem that is happening because the receptacle has the brake and ground at the top, or will that still be a possible problem? Thanks for any responses. John
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 08:25 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell1033 View Post
We also have “check trailer wiring” notification along with the annoying sounds.
I follow problems about the ITBC system pretty closely and have found that when your truck tells you to “check trailer wiring”, that is exactly where the problem is about 90% of the time. And the problem is usually with the trailer wire grounding, or more properly, not grounding, or even shorting. I'd spend a little time checking the trailer's wiring, particularly the electrical brakes, and you'll likely discover the problem.

I used to have a little 21 ft 5th wheel I pulled behind my GMC Sonoma, and lost my brakes in Washington. Stopped in a trailer shop they worked for 4 hours, found the problem, and I'm on my way again. Before I got home, I was in SW Colorado and same problem, and same solution, found problems with the trailer brake wiring. Fixed and I drove home to Kansas. Again I had a problem, same problem, and decided to replace all the trailer brake wiring with 10 ga wiring, and new magnets, and never had a problem again. And you can replace most magnets with stronger magnets that original equipment. One well know problem area is the wire that runs through the center of the axle tube shorting out and the repair is to run the replacement wiring outside the axle with split loom or some kind of additional wiring protection. And make sure your trailer is grounding thru the trailer to truck plug, not thru the hitch.

Ron Nielson
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 04:22 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
We’re experiencing the same issue. We just purchased a 2015 GMC 2500HD along with a 2007 feather lite trailer. New brakes were installed along with a junction box and a new cable. Our mechanic was trying to save us a little money using a cheaper plug that was somewhat loose in the truck receptacle so we were having connection issues. After installing a better plug we now have brakes, turn signals, brake lights, emergency flashers and running lights We also have “check trailer wiring” notification along with the annoying sounds.
After searching forums this weekend we’re thinking it would be best for us to have an aftermarket controller installed. We looking at the Tekonsha P3. Especially considering all the problems with the factory integrated system.
My question is, will this solve the problem that is happening because the receptacle has the brake and ground at the top, or will that still be a possible problem? Thanks for any responses. John
I used a P3 on my 2013,,, worked great.. Even though the ITBC was bypassed I still got an occasional brake message in the dash, because the OEM controller was loose in the dash..

2019 Quartz Red Denali HD Chrome deleted
2013 GMC SLE fully deleated. Sold
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 01:58 PM

Thank you.
I tested the trailer plug ground pin to the metal on the hitch getting good continuity. As I mentioned earlier all systems are working, but we’re still getting the display and dinging. We’re thinking about installing a Tekonsha P3 bypassing the factory controller. Tekonsha says I’ll need to use a blue wire from the P3 back to the 7 pin.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 12:37 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thank you.
I tested the trailer plug ground pin to the metal on the hitch getting good continuity. As I mentioned earlier all systems are working, but we’re still getting the display and dinging. We’re thinking about installing a Tekonsha P3 bypassing the factory controller. Tekonsha says I’ll need to use a blue wire from the P3 back to the 7 pin.
Correct, run a new power lead from controller to rear harness, or find the power lead under the hood and tap it there...

2019 Quartz Red Denali HD Chrome deleted
2013 GMC SLE fully deleated. Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode