tires for heavy loads in SRW trucks - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By carhauler
  • 3 Post By Hook'em_Horns!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

tires for heavy loads in SRW trucks

My wife and I are considering a large toy hauler purchase, and I'm concerned that my stock tires (which have a load capacity of 3525 lbs) will be dangerously close (or perhaps beyond) their rated capacity. I have considered going the Vision Hauler route (to maintain tire diameter) with 225/70R19.5 tires, but that upgrade is damn near $3k (seems like a lot for a 900 lb increase in rear axle capacity).

As an alternative, I could get the same tire I have now in a slightly larger size and get a limit of 4080 lbs and continue using my existing wheels. However, this tire's diameter is approximately 5% (34.3 vs 32.6 inches) larger than my current tires. Therefore, I'd be facing at least the following three potential problems:

1) Tire clearance. With stock suspension, would these tires cause any rub in the front while turning at full lock?

2) ECM calibration. The speedometer, odometer, and everything else will underestimate vehicle speed by 5%. How big of a deal is this? Is there any way to get the ECM recalibrated for these tires without voiding the warranty?

3) Drive ratio. Using these larger tires would have the same effect on gearing as replacing the 3.73 with a 3.54. Not exactly ideal since the goal here is to pull a heavy load. Have any of you pulled heavy trailers with larger tire sizes? If so, what was your experience (especially relative to the stock configuration)?

Thoughts on any/all of the above will be appreciated. Thanks!

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank | Reese under-bed FW/GN rail kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 04:25 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
How about a 285/65R18? I think the load rating is 3640lbs

2020 GMC Denali HD CCSB L5P/10L1000 Allison 4x4
SOLD2016 Sierra 3500HD Denali CCSB SRW
UDP Tunes on V2/SOTF Switch/Danville 63.5 Billet-S480FMW Billet Twins by WCFab(Illusion Blue)/Exergy 100% Injectors/Exergy 12MM CP3/Banks Intercooler/HSP Billet Manifolds/PPE Up Pipes/PPE Oil Pan/PPE Deep Trans Pan/AirDog 165 II-4G/FloPro 5" SS Turbo Back/MBRP 6" SS Tip/CTS2 Insight/EDGE EGT Probe/EDGE 0-100 Boost Sensor/Cognito 4-6/Cognito Front Driveline/Cognito Swaybar/Cognito PISK/PPE Tie Rods/King 2.5 Resis/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Bags/Air Lift Wireless One Compressor/Wilwood TX6R Brakes Front and Back/LT325/60R20 BFG KO2s/20x9 Method 309s/AMP Steps/Yukon 4.11s/Royalty Core RC1/Retrax Powertrax Pro MX/Titan STAFS 30 Gallon/JL C5s/JL 12TW3-D4/JL VX600/6i/JL XD300/1V2
Mike L Trans (Goerend R/Alto G3s/RatioTek)

SOLD2015.5 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali CCSB
SOLD2007.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT CCSB SDP Twins/Mike L Trans/ATP Tunes

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROGMAN524 View Post
My current tires are rated for 3525 lbs, so that would only give me an additional 230 lbs on the axle. Not worth the cost.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank | Reese under-bed FW/GN rail kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 04:39 PM

Garage
I run Mastercraft ATX 285x75x16 load is 3680 they also have LT285/65R18 125\122S E OWL 8 - 10 8.5 11.6 32.56 54 3640

2006 SIERRA CC SB 2500HD 6.6 LBZ 179,000 and ticking
3" MBRP Down Pipe
4" Diamond Cat Back
5" SS tip
Edge CTS2
Intake resonator Plug
EFI LIVE DSP5 by ATP via BBP
AIRDOG2
Interior lighting to BLUE LED conversion
285/75/16
Leveling keys POWERSTOP Brakes.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 05:10 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROGMAN524 View Post
That's what I went with (Cooper ST Maxx), but I was coming from stock 20's so the gain was worth it for me.

2005 Toyota Tacoma DC 4x4 4.0L TRD Off-Road
2008 Yamaha Zuma YW 50

2015 GMC 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison Black on Black
2016 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 350M Toy Hauler
2019 Ranger RB190 Bay
2019 Yamaha UMAX 1
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 05:49 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I have 275/65r20 load rating of 3750

Gerry

2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW CCSB 4X4 LTZ Z71
LML, 6 Spd Allison, 2nd owner and my First diesel ever, B&W Turnoverball Goose Neck,
Pace Edwards BedLocker Tonneau Cover, Sulastic Shackles, Tinted Windows, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar(TheBigWig),
Airlift Ultimate 5000 Airbags with Wireless Air, Fass Titanium 150GPH Lift Pump, AVS Bug/Hood Protector, Autocal, Edge Insight CS2

Soon to get: maybe more tint, Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, LED Lightbar or Flood Lights, Train or Air Horn
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 06:34 PM

Garage
First stop is the scale ,get a weight then get a weight with the trailer you want , if they won't let you do that find another dealer. before you spend a fortune on a nice big trailer you might consider a dually before you put a crapload of money into a "just enough" situation.

Don't buy junk tires ,there is always a good brand with the same rating, Mastercraft is not a good brand IMHO

19.5's not worth it for sacrifice in ride and you can get a standard tire rated close or likely above, they are a big PITA cause no-one wants to work on them cause they are a semi tire on a pickup and you have to have a tire store that works on both. Go to Discount or walmart and they won't touch them , go to a truck stop and they won't cause they are on a pickup. I speak from ManyMany miles of experience.

2" may give you some grief but also try a tire store that will mount one up and see, fronts are only ones that will give you grief.

Gear ratio is not a big deal until you get really big. speedo correction is available with a module inline in the speedo and does not touch the ECM and "should" not affect warranty.

Back to first part, do your homework with a scale and the truck and trailer and see where you will really be at. close is really OK , the rating is always figured low on everything to protect the MFG so close on the low side is really pretty OK.

All this is a project, I know you may not have the time but I often spend months if not years figuring out what I want and what works!
CntrlCalDmax likes this.

2019 Chevy Dually Door handles/color matched 110 Gal transfer-flow bed tank / 20"AE wheels Mich. 265/60/20 defender tires /husky rear flaps /cargo box/weathertech mats.tinted glass, xpel on forward surfaces, blacked out pillars
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhauler View Post
First stop is the scale ,get a weight then get a weight with the trailer you want , if they won't let you do that find another dealer. before you spend a fortune on a nice big trailer you might consider a dually before you put a crapload of money into a "just enough" situation.

Don't buy junk tires ,there is always a good brand with the same rating, Mastercraft is not a good brand IMHO

19.5's not worth it for sacrifice in ride and you can get a standard tire rated close or likely above, they are a big PITA cause no-one wants to work on them cause they are a semi tire on a pickup and you have to have a tire store that works on both. Go to Discount or walmart and they won't touch them , go to a truck stop and they won't cause they are on a pickup. I speak from ManyMany miles of experience.

2" may give you some grief but also try a tire store that will mount one up and see, fronts are only ones that will give you grief.

Gear ratio is not a big deal until you get really big. speedo correction is available with a module inline in the speedo and does not touch the ECM and "should" not affect warranty.

Back to first part, do your homework with a scale and the truck and trailer and see where you will really be at. close is really OK , the rating is always figured low on everything to protect the MFG so close on the low side is really pretty OK.

All this is a project, I know you may not have the time but I often spend months if not years figuring out what I want and what works!
Thanks for the info! I don't even have a fifth wheel hitch yet; I just wanted to know what options were available. My truck with several hundred pounds of crap in the bed has a rear axle weight of 3900 lbs according to a CAT scale, so I know it will be very, very close to the 7050 tire capacity (or over it) with a ~3500 lb pin weight.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 07:03 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Not a good idea to tow big, at or near the tire limit, with no cushion space between actual and max.
Bigger taller tires, while increasing weight max, you're castrating the drive line power to pull.

Go smaller on the RV, or trade for what's needed...DRW.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in