GMs lower tow ratings compared to competition. - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:26 PM

Tow rating is a calculated value and varies based on the frame strength, axle strength, braking capability, number of tires and their load capacity at the rear axle. Any engineer can add 1,000 lbs with the knowledge that the safety margin may be reduced by 10% but if it helps marketing then who really cares?

What does matter to me is the overall performance when towing and the GM grade control and the GM exhaust brake setup is better than what one gets with a Ram or Ford pickup.

What I found interesting was the difference in tow rating and payload rating for the two very different F-450 trucks, standard pickup and chassis cab. Similar difference between Duramax 2500 and 3500 trucks with the latter gaining 6,000 lbs thanks to its being available with DRW.

What may not be readily apparent but the increases in GCWR over the past several years have pushed 1-ton pickups into the class where the driver needs a commercial driver license. I would also bet that it has pushed up insurance rates and DMV fees.

"In almost every case (where the United States has fought wars) our overwhelming commitment to freedom, democracy and human rights has required us to support those regimes that would deny freedom, democracy and human rights to their own people." - Gore Vidal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:10 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Most always.... your "legal" towing capacity is set by your tires.
mizterwizard and jdwarren like this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post

What may not be readily apparent but the increases in GCWR over the past several years have pushed 1-ton pickups into the class where the driver needs a commercial driver license. I would also bet that it has pushed up insurance rates and DMV fees.
@elkhornsun
You nailed it.
Here in Ontario, 3/4 tons are at the threshold for an annual inspection. My title states 4499kg as the registered gross weight and 4500kg is where the inspections begin. Add a trailer and now you're in need of the inspections to be legal and if the trailer is over 4500kg, it will also require inspection.
The weights will then dictate how much the plate sticker is each year.
I don't know enough to comment on the CVOR requirements.

Gareth

2017 Silverado High Country L5P 2500
Be staying near stock for a while
Putco Bumper Grille
LED backup and cargo lights
Duraflap extra long mud flaps

06 Sierra LBZ 2500 CCSB - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Update to my original post-

I ended up purchasing a 2018 All Terrain 2500HD SLT after having test driven a 2015 Denali HD, 2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn, & 2017 Denali HD. I considered 3500’s; but at the time, nothing near me was available without it being a dusky or “heat & keys.” The stars aligned and the deal made sense. It’s a beautiful truck; I feel spoiled now. For 90% of the time I’ll use this truck, it’ll be complete overkill, which is jussst about perfect. The payload could be better, but it’s a very well optioned diesel 3/4t. It rides SO nice compared with what I’m used to (1997 F350). The power is effortless, and the characteristics of a diesel powerband is all new to me- no revs, just grunt. It fits in my garage with enough room to spare for decent tires and a SMALL lift (which was an issue with Ford and close to an issue with Ram). There are things I wish it had that the Ram & Super Dutys have, but they’re completely trivial. The fit, finish, & refinement of the GMC is better in my opinion. Very quiet. So the towing/payload in my configuration may not match the competition, but it’s still more than what I need and I tend to pick fly crap from pepper. I put SumoSprings SSR-207-47 bump stops on it (found them for $138 and figured why not), and the truck still sits about 3/4” off them with 600lb or so of snowmobile & cargo. Looking forward to a long future with this beauty; want to do 275/64R20 all-Terrain tires and 1.5” of lift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4645600B-0501-45E4-A315-F122A408533D_1546741894820.jpg (31.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 26DBE23B-47E8-477F-AECA-541451C9A04F_1546741915953.jpg (29.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg B434CBE1-D1B4-4CCA-A7BC-147B4504C2AC_1546741953273.jpg (34.8 KB, 107 views)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:31 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I'm glad you found a truck you can love. That is all that counts.

Tow ratings and load ratings are essentially plucked from thin air. A reasonable driver with a reasonable load is safer than an empty head in an empty truck. If you have good sense you will know when you are safe and when you should reconsider. Take ratings as a guideline, not a don't cross line.

You could put a cinder block on a roof and damage the truck. You could put a pallet of blocks in the bed and get to the job site in fine shape. It's all up to you.

Most of us care about our trucks enough to not beat on them. We don't need anyone else to tell us what to do. I don't think anything you can say to a jack @$$ will make a difference.

Enjoy your beautiful and capable new baby.
eli_harper13 and jdwarren like this.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 07:21 AM

Beautiful ride. The black is sharp.

Gareth

2017 Silverado High Country L5P 2500
Be staying near stock for a while
Putco Bumper Grille
LED backup and cargo lights
Duraflap extra long mud flaps

06 Sierra LBZ 2500 CCSB - SOLD
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 07:54 AM

There is a standard that has not been pushed yet by the SAE. I think the GM will align more with that standard when compared to the others.

At one time, the F350 had a higher tow rating than the F450. Go figure that one out if it's not marketing. Reality of the situation is with and without trailer brakes, does the truck have the ability to stop the rated loads? Can the truck pull the max capacity trailer up a 6% grade 6 miles long at rated speed without having overheating issues or other mechanical issues? If you load a trailer up to what ford and dodge say, can you find a ball and mounts that meet that? Does the trailer connector meet the capacity of truck? How many people actually look at the ratings of the equipment that they are using? I know there are a couple of Hot Shot drivers that pull more than what the GM says.

There are more questions than answers, but I think you made the right choice in going with what you prefer that is capable of puling what you need instead of buying the one with the biggest claimed trailering capacity.

2004.5 Silver Birch Metallic GMC K2500HD
18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:26 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
What I found interesting was the difference in tow rating and payload rating for the two very different F-450 trucks, standard pickup and chassis cab.
This is due to the chassis cab version having a detuned engine for better reliability/longevity, as fleet managers are generally more concerned with keeping costs down than providing their truck drivers with a racecar-like experience.

Towing capacities are basically just "eye candy" and exist only in the light duty truck world. As @AlisoBob mentioned, the real legal and physical constraint is almost always going to be the rear GAWR and/or tire load rating. A current-generation 3/4-ton with 20-inch wheels is going to have a combined rear tire rating of 6084 lbs. Given the nearly 4000 lbs on the rear axle when empty, a pin weight of 2,500 lbs is about all this sort of vehicle can handle, and that's being somewhat optimistic. Modifications can be made to increase the physical capacity of the rear end (as the axle itself is actually rated by AAM at something like 11k lbs), but they will have no bearing on legalities and therefore do nothing in the event that the truck is weighed by the authorities. This is really only a concern for trucks being used in a commercial application, as trucks being used in recreational or personal capacities are typically exempt from weigh station requirements and so forth. Unless you're worried about the Internet Boogeyman of being incarcerated or denied liability coverage due to your truck being used beyond its capacity when involved in an accident.

Some folks may be surprised by this, but even a heavy bumper pull trailer (i.e., tongue weight over 1500 lbs or so) will put a 3/4- ton over its stock rear tire rating. For proof, see here.
AlisoBob and mizterwizard like this.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:23 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

JD I would only take issue with one part of your statement, the cab/chassis are detuned because the EPA demands it. They figure the engines will be running more hours than a non commercial or standard pickup, thus producing more emissions. Thus the detune. It sucks but that is what they do.

For the OP congrats. The SAE towing standard is a minimum standard, and I believe Ford and Ram, both push their trucks to the limit to just pass that Minimum std, while GM builds in a comfortable margin. In addition, GM does NOT even offer an axle ratio lower than or different than 3.73, while Ram and Ford do. Ford as low as 4.10.

2006 GMC 2500 4x4, CCSB
Vin Code 2, LBZ, 6 Spd Allison
KYB Monomax shocks
AutoMeter EGT, Boost and
Air Pressure gauges
Puma OnBoard Air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode