Trailer Brake Controller Needed - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Trailer Brake Controller Needed

I'm in search of a trailer brake controller for my 05 3500. I drive a tractor-trailer for a living and I am used to air brakes that work in unison and I hate having to set the power of electric brakes; it always seems there is too much or too little or they take too long to ramp up (my current controller doesn't have a speed adjustment). I know at one time someone made a controller that had a sensor that went in line with a brake line and provided in unison braking. Does anyone have any experience with one of these or know if they're still available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:33 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Long ago, there was one similar to what you describe....can't remember the brand, but it was expensive and not an easy install. Antiquated by today's standards.

From dissatisfaction descriptions of your controller....well, that's an old and cheap bottom line one you have, or have used in the past.
Tech has come a long way since then.

You just need a proportional output controller, like a Prodigy. Simple, easy install, works perfectly. Once you adjust the gain, it works flawlessly, applying more trailer brake action when you need it, far less when you don't.

There's no more violent jerking at slow speeds, when you've got it cranked up for highway speed stops. And yet, at hwy speed panic stops, it kicks out the voltage to help shut 'er down, effectively and without loss of control.

What kind of trailer and what kind of brakes does it have on it?
Diff being, you may need the Prodigy-3 vs the basic model.
NotoriousBRT likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

I pull everything; tandem axle 14K equipment trailer, 30ft tri-axle gooseneck, 3 horse slant, 24ft tandem stock trailer, 16ft utility trailer, etc. As far as what kind of brakes, I don't know the specifics on each trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:02 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Sounds like they're all basic 12" x 2" drum type electric brakes.
The P2 would handle your needs there.
Tekonsha!
Different would be something like elec over hyd disc brakes, then you'd need the P3.
http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...RB55TR19SXShj4

With the proportional controller, once it's set, you just select boost level of 0, 1, 2, or 3, to match any increased weight of a loaded trailer vs an empty.
I too tow everything you describe, even doubles at times.
Works flawlessly.

In fact, wary be the traveler following too closely to the empty triple axle GN, and not reacting quick enough to a panic stop....it shuts down quick.

I will say though, the biggest improvement I've seen is upgrading the trailer brakes to self-adjusting backing plates. Basic elec drum trailer brakes are not like cars, they need to be adjusted on a regular basis....which users rarely if ever do, or even know to do.

Trailer brakes out of adjustment, won't perform properly.
seamus, goobs and NotoriousBRT like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 04-08-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:34 AM

I use the Tekonsha P3 on my vehicles, except on my lml, since it has the brake controller factory.
works great on all my trailers from a lil single axle to a triple axle car hauler.
NotoriousBRT likes this.

Garrett, that's 2-R's & 2-T's
2015.5 ccsb HC, deep ocean blue metallic, 2wd, cst 4" knuckles, camburg 1.25" uniball uppers, fox 2.5 dsc shocks, 17x9 fuel anza beadlock, 35x12.50 maxxis razr mt.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Tekonsha P3 from etrailer.com
NotoriousBRT likes this.

2005 Toyota Tacoma DC 4x4 4.0L TRD Off-Road
2008 Yamaha Zuma YW 50

2015 GMC 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison Black on Black
2016 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 350M Toy Hauler
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
S
I will say though, the biggest improvement I've seen is upgrading the trailer brakes to self-adjusting backing plates. Basic elec drum trailer brakes are not like cars, they need to be adjusted on a regular basis....which users rarely if ever do, or even know to do.

Trailer brakes out of adjustment, won't perform properly.
I thought self adjusting trailer brakes were great. But after 4 yrs and about 20K I had no brakes. Pulled the drums and things were a mess. On one the adjusting wheel had dropped down I forget what the other problems were. I then replaced them with standard style trailer brakes. I wondered if the reason for problems was that the trailer sees a lot of long trips and very little backing

07 GMC CC LB dually LBZ, DeeZee boards, 50 gal Transfer Flow inbed tank

2003 Crossroads 5th wheel
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
41 Ford hot rod 454/700R4
17 T roadster 270 Dodge Hemi 4spd
Dually club #202
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:42 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Sounds more like a hardware failure....May not have been adjusted properly after install. Self adjust, but they still need to be adjusted for a starting point when new.

They don't adjust up in reverse, just a hair tighter with every forward braking stop, as I understand 'em.
goobs likes this.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I may go ahead and opt for a P3 just to cover all bases.
goobs likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Sounds more like a hardware failure....May not have been adjusted properly after install. Self adjust, but they still need to be adjusted for a starting point when new.

They don't adjust up in reverse, just a hair tighter with every forward braking stop, as I understand 'em.
Hook I do know how to install and they were adjusted right when installed. At the time of purchase I had the same thoughts that you do but it didn't work out for me. What happened I don't know but it did sour me on them

07 GMC CC LB dually LBZ, DeeZee boards, 50 gal Transfer Flow inbed tank

2003 Crossroads 5th wheel
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
41 Ford hot rod 454/700R4
17 T roadster 270 Dodge Hemi 4spd
Dually club #202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode