Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

looking at new 4500/5500/6500

42K views 92 replies 19 participants last post by  sambor 
#1 ·
Anybody looked into towing weights on these trucks? Dealers don't have much in the way of info yet. Looked at a 4500HD CC 4X4 today-- very nice truck. We are thinking of trading our Pete 337 and the 2019 3500HD in on one if we can figure out which model will haul a 23K GVWR GN horse trailer safely. Anybody have any thoughts or opinions on this?
Come on Hook-em, help a fellow Texan out-- I know you probably know this stuff

#61 ·
I have 19,000 miles on mine now.My truck with full tanks weighs 10,400 pounds. It's hooked to my trailer 99% of the time. But before I started pulling with it I was getting 13.5 mpg the couple times I checked it.

I pull a 48' enclosed gooseneck trailer for my business. I transport bikes, ATV's SxS's, sleds and ??? for a Powersports auction company. My trailer weighs around 8600 pounds empty. And when it's fully loaded it can weigh anywhere from 15,000 to 18,000 pounds.
As you can imagine mileage varies. I can get as much as 10-10.5 heading east on level ground and down to 8-8.5 heading west. Most of the time I average right around 9. BTW mine has 4.30 gears as well. I don't think this is too bad considering my 1 ton gets 10-10.5 on average pulling the same trailer and loads.

#62 ·
Howdy Hank, glad truck is earning it's keep. Your mileage is a tad better than mine but I have the steel bed and pull a little more weight with the 8 horse trailer. With the 3 horse it doesn't matter much.
Did you read my previous post on the fuel and air filter fiasco?

#64 ·
I paid 72k out the door with the bed and rhino on the bed. It is an LT, 4x4 but the LT trim does not have carpet, just like a WT.

Availability is going to be scarce if you are wanting a 4x4 but the 2wd's are around. Dealer here has one like mine but 2wd

#65 ·
Hey everyone, I am looking to order or find a new 4500 or 5500. I was wondering a couple of things:

1. I know these trucks are going to be slow (mainly because of the gearing). I am very curious as to how well they interchange with the 3500HDs, with respect to tuning. Not looking to roll coal or make it into a monster, but something that is a bit more useable for the highway at a comfortable 75 without compromising usability. If that is not possible, what gearing should I look for in the truck to accomplish this or come very near to it?
  2. I read through a couple of the original posts about insurance. As I do not own a business, how difficult was it to insure as a commercial vehicle? What are the costs associated with it as it would most likely be the only vehicle/item on the policy unless I were to add my trailer to the policy as well.
  3. Has anyone had any issues with respect to maintenance, or stuff breaking on the truck that is irregular for this truck? ,
  4. In terms of chassis lengths, what is the longest chassis cab length in a crew cab (preferably 4wd) you can go, and still have a ball for a gooseneck?
  5. Lastly, going back to interchanging with any of the other Silverados, is it possible to do this on the medium-duty trucks? It is mainly interior Like dash and/or seats I was curious about.
Also a little bit with what I currently have. I have a 2018 F150 with the STX package and the 5.0, and a 26ft enclosed cargo/car trailer. With my current setup, I am just under 8k pounds at the CAT scales with car, 2 motorcycles, and 2 tools boxs plus any other gear. This is going to be a major step up for me with owning a truck this size, not necessarily driving one; used to drive an older F450 for a buddy of mine and a 40ft gooseneck about 3-4 days a week. My end goal with this truck is to have it for a while, without comprising towing and hauling for when I plan to upgrade my trailer (possibly a 40ft enclosed trailer). I am currently in San Antonio TX, if anyone is near by and wouldnt mind me taking a look at your setup and/or walking me through your particular build.

#66 ·
Don't own a 4500/5500 just some random inputs here:

1. If you want to tow at 75 MPH which is not recommended anyway, you should look at a different truck. As this series of trucks come standard with 19.5" wheels and tires, they are speed limited to 70 MPH or at least mine are.

2. Tuning on almost any diesel truck is damn near impossible these days. You can thank the EPA for that. There may be some options north of the border.

3. You can install a gooseneck hitch in any truck including 2500/3500/4500/5500.

4. Unless you are going to tow often and heavy or commercially, stepping up to this series of truck may not be the right call for you. A 3500 series truck will comfortably tow a 40' trailer and will most likely tow it with more in cab comfort. I towed a 53' car trailer with 3 cars inside with my 3500 without issue mine when I was in the business.

Just some considerations while you are shopping.

Reactions: Noble_dmax
#68 ·
Jimmyd is correct about the 4500HD. I have one and for what we do it is perfect. Go back and read my posts about the truck.
It will run up to 79mph then the ecm limits it. The speed rating is due to the gearset installed in the rear. Mine has the 4:30 and the tires are speed rated as well.
The cab is identical so all the components will interchange with a 3500 cab.
These trucks only come as a cab/chassis with several C/A lengths. The 4wd cannot be ordered with air-ride rear suspension.
If you are up around the Weatherford Texas area you are most welcome to come see my truck and drive it. I have some pics in the gallery under "farm trucks"

#69 ·
JimmyD, I appreciate your insight and I have thought about getting a 3500 (or f350). I wasn't planning on speeding with a trailer, but being empty in the back. I know the 3500s are going to be more comfortable and one could spec it out very high if you'd want. But I guess my other question would be ease of maintenance. I like doing stuff myself, and I personally thought the ease of access for the engine bay was interesting, and actaully having clearance underneath to do stuff was also nice without having to lift the truck.

Sambor,
I really appreciate your offer and may have to take you up on that one day. That is awesome to know that they can interchange like that and would make finding parts to swap inside easy. I guess I missed your post about getting at that speed, but again I would be empty back and only if I was hitting the highway for a long time like that. I'm not looking to win at the drag strip, but wanna at least hold my ground next to a Prius. I also may have missed this too, but for insurance you had to insure as a commercial vehicle; did you have to have a business associated with it?

#70 ·
The truck will surprise you- way faster off the start than you would think at the weight it is. I cruise mine empty at 70 for 2-3 hours or until my old bladder screams uncle.
I have mine under my name only- its considered commercial because of the weights associated with it and the trailers. It costs me about 1300 per year and that includes the 8 horse trailer. No business name needed.
We use the truck just like a smaller truck (we also have a 2018 1500 high country)-it goes grocery getting, out to supper etc. but it has to take up at least 3 spots. Think battleship turns!

Reactions: brandons1209
#71 ·
The truck will surprise you- way faster off the start than you would think at the weight it is. I cruise mine empty at 70 for 2-3 hours or until my old bladder screams uncle.
I have mine under my name only- its considered commercial because of the weights associated with it and the trailers. It costs me about 1300 per year and that includes the 8 horse trailer. No business name needed.
We use the truck just like a smaller truck (we also have a 2018 1500 high country)-it goes grocery getting, out to supper etc. but it has to take up at least 3 spots. Think battleship turns!
That is awesome to know I can still get my dry cleaning with it and take it on base with me to show it up against my coworkers' Denalis and Platinums 😅

Thank you for the insurance info, I'll ask my insurance guy and a few others for quotes for me and a trailer too.

One thing that popped in my mind just now, but could you fit saddle tanks (I'm assuming that's what they're called) under the sides? I know the battery box is there, but maybe just behind it? Again not a requirement, but would make it interesting vs the daul 24 and 40 gal tanks underneath.

#72 ·
You might be able to put saddles on it if the flatbed you put on doesn't have toolboxes on it. Biggest problem will be the indicating system- it is in the front tank and controls the transfer from rear tank and it tells the gauge what to indicate.
You will have approx. 5-600 mile range unloaded with the dual tanks.
When you pull just set the cruise on about 68-70 and turn on the e brake and the tow/haul and enjoy the ride.
Check with Progressive on the insurance-- seems to have the best prices.

#73 ·
You might be able to put saddles on it if the flatbed you put on doesn't have toolboxes on it. Biggest problem will be the indicating system- it is in the front tank and controls the transfer from rear tank and it tells the gauge what to indicate.
You will have approx. 5-600 mile range unloaded with the dual tanks.
When you pull just set the cruise on about 68-70 and turn on the e brake and the tow/haul and enjoy the ride.
Check with Progressive on the insurance-- seems to have the best prices.
Yea i would definitely need the tool boxes underneath, but I reckon a transfer tank or a aux tank on top may do the trick.

And I definitely will check them out. I used to have USAA, but they started to be pricey for some reason down. Statefarm is what i got for my truck, 2 cars, home, trailer and i have progressive for my 2 motorcycles because they were cheaper than Statefarm.

#74 ·
If it were me I would opt for the aux tank with its own pump and hose/nozzle and not fool with the factory setup at all. If you get a 4WD, you will only get a 4:30 rear gear-- no other options from the factory. If you get a 2WD you can get as high as a 4:10 which is a 78MPH limit. On my truck, it is 75 not 79 like I stated earlier. Also the 2WD 's are way more plentiful than the 4WD's.

#75 ·
I was thinking of building one to pull 2 campers at a time. One on a deck and one behind.
My deal breaker was the def tank on the passenger side followed by the lack of a saddle tank option. I had a 3500 Cab and chassis with dual tanks. The 40 gallon behind rear axle tank does affect handling negatively with any pull behind trailer.

Other options I thought were better choices were a Freightliner M2 class or used Class 8 big rig and having one drive axle removed.

Reactions: JimmyD
#76 ·
I haven"t pulled a bumper trailer- I hate those damn things. I like the weight of the tank on the rears unloaded but I can see where it would wanna wag the dog with a bumper.
Saddles would be nice if the factory would offer them but withthe indicating system as it is I think you would have to dripstick them to see how much you had left as I see no way to tie them into existing system.
I should have let you know when I sold the Pete- it would have worked well for you- they gave me 40k on the trade and it only had 62K on the truck

#77 ·
If you were to do saddle tanks, you could eliminate the factory tank completely and then just find a sending unit that matches the OEM specs for resistance across the spectrum. As for the aux tank at the rear, just plumb it into the saddle tanks with a wye, tie the saddles together on a common draw like a class 8, and let her rip. Like in a class 8 it will draw from the tank with the highest fuel level.

#78 ·
My Pete drew equally from both tanks- it only had a quantity transmitter in the right saddle. The tanks were connected by crossover hoses with a single source to the fuel filters.
The 4500 indicating system uses only one transmitter to the cab and the rear transfer pump is controlled by that and some relays. System uses an algorithm to determine total quantity and its ok but not super accurate. On my truck I have figured out that 1/4 tank indication is a full front and empty rear. (Rear is never actually "empty")

#79 ·
So theoretically one could leave the rear tank and go for single or twin saddle tanks, just plumb into the factory lines.

#80 ·
I don't think the saddles would gravity feed to either factory tank and the front tank has a pump in it to push fuel to the engine. Best bet might be an aux tank on the bed that would gravity to either factory tank. There is a blank supply on the front tank to supply fuel to a vendor supplied power unit like a welder etc. Maybe that could be repurposed to allow fuel in.

#81 ·
I looked up the new tech bulletin 168 for the MD trucks. It has some good info on how to use the existing taps for fuel supply and return ports on top of the transmitter

#84 ·
Don't have any complaints- it does everything we need it to and we have almost 25K on it now.
I can recommend Jerry's Chevrolet Fleet Sales/ Mike Pedigo here in Weatherford Texas. They usually have some in stock. The MD's are kinda hard to come by unless you want a regular cab/2wd version

#85 ·
Don't have any complaints- it does everything we need it to and we have almost 25K on it now.
I can recommend Jerry's Chevrolet Fleet Sales/ Mike Pedigo here in Weatherford Texas. They usually have some in stock. The MD's are kinda hard to come by unless you want a regular cab/2wd version
Yes, I have found it especially hard for the 4wd to find them in stock. And thank you for your experience!

#86 ·
May also check out International dealerships since the truck is built by them. There is an international branded one also.

#88 ·
It's the new partnership. International is the one who actually assembles the truck.
Basically the truck is a Chevy Motor, transmission and cab on an international chassis

#90 ·
The international CV and the chevy trucks are identical except for badging.

I work for international and we have sold a few of them, and have a couple on the lot. All the ones we have are regular cabs and 4wd.

You'll find that international sells some parts that are branded as international, but they are the same as the GM parts. And in some cases, especially for chassis components, international will supply the parts for GM.

The chassis is very similar to the old terrastar platform international had.

#91 ·
Grills are different but other than that all identical. Spicer makes the axles, Meritor makes the brakes and transfer case, GM provides the cab/trans/electronics and misc. parts.
Parts supplies are somewhat slow from either International or GM depending on what part i.e. air and fuel filters.
Don't make the mistake to think that this is a truck to cruise around town and ride like a 1500. It is a work truck and rides like one and needs a lot of space to turn around and park. One of the best trucks I have owned and does everything we need it to do but wife and I are used to 1 ton and bigger trucks.
If you get a 4wd it is 2 steps to get in the cab, manual locking hubs, but great to get under to change oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.