Towing 5th Wheel Camper with Lifted Truck - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Towing 5th Wheel Camper with Lifted Truck

I have a 2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax with a 6” Pro Comp Suspension Lift, 20” Wheels, and 35” Tires. I just sold my 30’ Bumper Pull Travel Trailer and want to upgrade to a 5th Wheel. I had one RV Dealer tell me I can pull a 5th Wheel as long as the top of my bed rails are not taller than 62”, which I am a hair under. Another dealer told me the 5th Wheel will have too much weight on the back axel and it could blow tires on a hot day. I do live in Texas so it’s hot as hell in the summer. Anyone pull a 5th Wheel with a lifted truck like mine or does anyone have some good advise for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:42 PM
HWI

You can flip the camper axles to get more height on it.
reneg likes this.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:38 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I suspect that your limiting factor will be your tire and wheel combo. You should verify that they are of sufficient capacity to support the pin weight of a 5vr.

You may find towing a 5vr with a 6 inch lift to be a not so pleasant experience from what I have read on some RV forums.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:10 AM

You have to get the rig level. Not sure how with that lift but a unlevel set up is dangerous.

2014-GMC 2500 SLE
18"TOYO AT/2
WESTIN BULL BAR
AFE ELITE INTAKE
FASS 95 LIFT PUMP&BEANS SUMP
FIRESTONE AIR BAGS
RAPTOR BED LINER &R/WHEEL WELLS
XDM-45
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:27 AM

Might put you over height too depending on the 5th wheel. Mine sits about 13'2" on a stock height truck.

04 GMC LB7 2500 SAC 45 injectors DSP5 EFI live, ported air inlet. 4" MBRP droning exhaust.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Might put you over height too depending on the 5th wheel. Mine sits about 13'2" on a stock height truck.
x2, i'm 13'3" at my high point on the trailer (front AC) and trailer & truck are level. Truck is stock.
Also, you want 5" or more bed rail clearance between the top of the truck bed rails to the bottom of the RV over the truck to allow for traveling over short dips & hills. If your RV is nose up your bed rail clearance will be less at the rear of the truck & you may have contact between the RV and bed rails.

The dealer that told you it's possible to overload your RV tires if towing nose up is correct.

Stock 2018 Silverado D/A 3500 LTZ
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

x3. I am at 13' 4" at the front AC as well with a bone stock dually with entire tow rig level.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:11 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I have a 7.5" lift and 37's. I ended up putting a flatbed on my truck to tow my 5er. I had to convert it to a reese goosebox. I researched all about lifted trucks and 5th wheels. You either have to go the route I did or ditch the lift kit. I still had to do a spring over on the 5th wheel. It tows great, and sits pretty close to level. You HAVE to have at least 5" between the bottom of the bunk overhang and the bed rails. You will inevitably slap the rails if you dont. I am at max height so I have to plan my route for low bridges. Good luck and get ready to read a lot to figure out a setup. Any TV dealer will promise it will work great. Trailer parts warehouses are no help because every truck, 5th wheel setup, and RV are different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190609_101831_1562890299191.jpg (41.7 KB, 124 views)
jdwarren likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:37 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

I went through this earlier this year when I wanted to buy a fifth wheel. You’ll find that most half-ton model and mid-profile fifth wheels have an over hang that is 60” to the ground. Full size fifth wheels are typically around 65” to the ground. My bed rail height was at 62”. I ended up lowering my truck quite a bit. After lowering my truck and putting smaller tires on, I got my bed rail height to 56”. I have my fifth wheel hitch mounted on the lowest setting, and my pin box is at its highest setting. This gave me 5” of clearance between my bed rail and the overhang. It is still a little bit nose high, but not bad. I’ve towed it now 1,700 miles with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07' Chevy Silverado LT3 ccsb LBZ. 8" Bulletproof lift kit(junk), Fox shocks, EFI Live by Kory, Edge CTS Insight, 4" Silverline downpipe back exhaust, PPE FPR shims, PPE fuel rail fitting, pcv reroute, resonator plug, Transgo jr, S&B Intake, Amp steps, 20" XD Racing wheels, 36" Goodyear Duratrac tires, Air Lift rear air bags with wireless compressor, billet grill, debadged, Caddy gauges.

77' Ford F-250 factory highboy. 460, hooker headers, 3" flowmaster exhaust, MSD ignition, Comp Cam, Edelbrock high rise intake, Holley 750 cfm double pumper carb, Holley fuel lift pump, Autometer gauges, 3" lift kit, 38" Toyo tires, 18" Weld wheels.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:54 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
I went through this earlier this year when I wanted to buy a fifth wheel. You’ll find that most half-ton model and mid-profile fifth wheels have an over hang that is 60” to the ground. Full size fifth wheels are typically around 65” to the ground. My bed rail height was at 62”. I ended up lowering my truck quite a bit. After lowering my truck and putting smaller
tires on, I got my bed rail height to 56”. I have my fifth wheel hitch mounted on the lowest setting, and my pin box is at its highest setting. This gave me 5” of clearance between my bed rail and the overhang. It is still a little bit nose high, but not bad. I’ve towed it now 1,700 miles with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a good looking setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode