Questions regarding factory brake controller? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Questions regarding factory brake controller?

Howdy!

I have a new 2018 Chevrolet 3500 DRW with custom hauler bed that I purchased to tow my Cyclone toy hauler RV for fulltime RVing. This is the first truck I’ve had with a factory installed brake controller. Before my first tow with this truck my trailer was in the shop and had new drum brakes installed on all six wheels. I have adjusted the brake controller to the Max setting and don’t seem to get much braking from the trailer even when using it to manually brake the trailer. Never had these problems with my Prodigy brake controller in my other truck. Any recommendations before I claim underneath the 5er would be helpful an much appreciated.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:27 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

My first step would be to get a 7-way tester at Walmart or other source, about $10.. This will tell you all the connections that work, and those that don't. It will come in many occasions in the future, Im sure, if not for you, for someone else that's having problems. With a new truck, I wouldn't think there would be any problems with your truck. The older trucks, like my 2008 model were not setup at the factory to work with electric over hydraulic trailer brakes, but newer trucks should work just fine.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:07 PM

Curious if the drums where adjusted properly on the install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:19 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
This^.....well, not the drums, but were the brake shoes adjusted up properly after install?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:36 PM

Even if new brakes are adjusted, my experience is they will not perform great until the shoes wear a bit. The issue is New shoes have a larger radius than the drums when new, so it takes a while to get full contact of the shoe in the drum.

2019 Silverado 2500 4WD, Cajun Red
Michelin LTX M/S, bed liner, Alum bed box
Boost mirror turn signal jumper
Trans cooler grill
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:23 PM

Not impressed with my controller as well, brakes are adjusted, trailer has over 10k miles on it. Previous tow truck was a ram, so only change was the truck.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:24 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

My controller works just fine on my truck with the Raptor hooked up. No issues.
Brent Weis likes this.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:15 AM

Well, maybe next year I'll change out all the shoes. The brakes are currently working, you certainly know when they are not. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Brent W
2019 Duramax dually
Fusion 325 toyhauler
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:37 AM

You said braking is poor even when manually actuating the brakes. Was this during a pull test? If not, you may wanna try a pull test to see how it goes. Should be able to lock the trailer brakes up by manually actuating the brake controller then putting the truck in D and giving it pedal to get 1000-1200 rpm.
JimmyD likes this.

Stock 2018 Silverado D/A 3500 LTZ
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:20 AM

Garage
Change over to hydraulic disc brakes if you want stopping power. Not a huge job to do but an unbelievable improvement. Trailer will then be able to stop truck!

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

2017 2500HD GMC Denali CCSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode