Tongue Weight/Pin weight/Payload scale - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Tongue Weight/Pin weight/Payload scale

Check this out:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Haul-...HaulGauge-feat

Anyone try this? I'm about to ready to grab one. Anyone?

Gerry

2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW CCSB 4X4 LTZ Z71
LML, 6 Spd Allison, 2nd owner and my First diesel ever, B&W Turnoverball Goose Neck,
Pace Edwards BedLocker Tonneau Cover, Sulastic Shackles, Tinted Windows, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar(TheBigWig),
Airlift Ultimate 5000 Airbags with Wireless Air, Fass Titanium 150GPH Lift Pump, AVS Bug/Hood Protector, Autocal, Edge Insight CS2

Soon to get: maybe more tint, Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, LED Lightbar or Flood Lights, Train or Air Horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather2u View Post
Check this out:

I bought one before my round trip NY to Texas and back earlier this month, because I was very concerned with my trailers weight being over capacity.

For the life of me I couldn't get it to work on my 2017 2500. I requested a return from etrailer and gave then a detailed review of my issues.

They refunded my money and forwarded my letter to the manufacturer who line by line addressed my issues and then send me another module to try out again.

It's still sitting on my desk as I haven't had the time to try it again.

FWIW, I ended up buying the tongue scale and just weighed everything going into the trailer.

I stopped by the first cat scale I passed and weighed the rig and was a few hundred pounds under GCWR. I then weighed the trailer's axles separately and after moving a found that the trailer was about 500lbs over and that the rear wheels of the trailer had more weight on them than the front. So I moved a couple hundred pounds forward in the trailer and added a couple hundred pounds to the bed of the truck and reweighed everything and was then within limits.

4000 miles later I was home and glad not to be towing a nearly 20k rig.

PM me if you want the specifics and their response.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

2017 2500HD GMC Denali CCSB
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:51 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
how the heck does that work?

Garrett, that's 2-R's & 2-T's
2015.5 ccsb HC, deep ocean blue metallic, 2wd, cst 4" knuckles, camburg 1.25" uniball uppers, fox 2.5 dsc shocks, 17x9 fuel anza beadlock, 35x12.50 maxxis razr mt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:04 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather2u View Post
Check this out:

I haven't gone over it thoroughly, but I did pick up on this:

"Let's travel back to high school physics class for a moment. As you may recall, Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the force of an object in motion is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. So, to determine the mass of an object - in this instance, your rig - we just have to take the force and divide by acceleration.

Acceleration is easy enough to determine thanks to the triaxial accelerometer built into the HaulGauge. Determining the force is a bit more complicated. Basically, HaulGauge pulls data about your transmission from your vehicle's computer and then uses a customized torque converter model to determine the powertrain effort."

The problem with this is that it considers only the inertial force. The forces due to gravity (when ascending or descending a hill) or aerodynamic drag (which scales with v^2) will throw this calculation off significantly. I think the error bars on these calculations must be pretty big; the 5% claimed by the manufacturer seems extremely optimistic.

There are ways to get a "real" tongue/kingpin load in real time, but they involve strain gauges and are non-trivial (i.e., difficult to implement). I'm a super geek and I personally wouldn't bother setting anything like that up. Periodic trips to the CAT scale seem like a better solution.

Edit: regarding the tongue weight calculation, I suspect it reads the vehicle's pitch from the OBD port and then solves Hooke's equation to determine the tongue load. However, there are several important parameters that go into this calculation that you'd have to measure beforehand, assuming the software even allows those parameters to be specified. If not, it's almost completely worthless.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank | Reese under-bed FW/GN rail kit

Last edited by jdwarren; 07-24-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
how the heck does that work?
From what I understand it uses the information from the truck (plug into OBD II port) to determine change in angle (i.e. when you add weight to the bed the angle changes) and it also uses information from the transmission (slip) and engine (load) to determine how hard (more weight) it's pulling. It's supposed to be programmed by vehicle type so that it knows how the changes relate the the numbers it's giving.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:22 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
From what I understand it uses the information from the truck (plug into OBD II port) to determine change in angle (i.e. when you add weight to the bed the angle changes) and it also uses information from the transmission (slip) and engine (load) to determine how hard (more weight) it's pulling. It's supposed to be programmed by vehicle type so that it knows how the changes relate the the numbers it's giving.
yeah after i posted i scrolled down and saw where it explained a lil.
i wonder if it works on non-stock height trucks? i know change is change no matter the height, but is it preprogrammed for stock rake?

i have so many questions lol

Garrett, that's 2-R's & 2-T's
2015.5 ccsb HC, deep ocean blue metallic, 2wd, cst 4" knuckles, camburg 1.25" uniball uppers, fox 2.5 dsc shocks, 17x9 fuel anza beadlock, 35x12.50 maxxis razr mt.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
yeah after i posted i scrolled down and saw where it explained a lil.
i wonder if it works on non-stock height trucks? i know change is change no matter the height, but is it preprogrammed for stock rake?

i have so many questions lol
They do provide for non standard configurations with a manual method to calibrate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in