5th wheel hitch. - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawles2 View Post
Was it an automatic slider? From what I have read, you have to get out and unlock it, then pull forward, get out, relock it, then make the turn, Finally Reverse procedure.
nope not automatic - but unfortunately that is the drawback to a short bed for a fifth wheel. i pulled the trigger two weeks ago on 3500 DRW silverado so no more slider for me with an 8 foot bed, but if i needed to go back to a slider, id have no concern going B&W. i think only demco and pullrite make autosliders. but i now nothing of them since i iddnt own one.

i needed the curt hitch from the dealer so i didnt have to cancel a trip to florida 2 days after getting the truck, but i will be selling the curth Q25 and going back to a B&W companion for the OEM pucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:05 PM

It’s not that big of a deal to unlock it. Pull forward then after you unhook put it back. Depending on your cap design you may never need to slide it back but if you do it easy.

2014-GMC 2500 SLE
18"TOYO AT/2
WESTIN BULL BAR
AFE ELITE INTAKE
FASS 95 LIFT PUMP&BEANS SUMP
FIRESTONE AIR BAGS
RAPTOR BED LINER &R/WHEEL WELLS
XDM-45
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw774 View Post
It’s not that big of a deal to unlock it. Pull forward then after you unhook put it back. Depending on your cap design you may never need to slide it back but if you do it easy.
true - bu th e reason i have the new 8 foot bed is that on my 2017 ram and 2018 durango 2500 5er, i hit the cap into the truck - 5100 dollars damage-

never again - new 3500 DRW with an 8 foot bed.

my honest opinion, and i know its contrary to many out there, but if you are towing a 5er - go for an 8 foot bed.

even my 25000 Ram with my old bumper pull needed air bags for a 10k bumper pull to feel good. 6.5 bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Andersen does not make a 5th wheel hitch, only the gooseneck adapter style (some trailer MFG's will void frame warranty with them), and the B&W is not an automatic slider.

With the short bed, it's nice to have the auto slider so you do not have to remember to get out and move the hitch, then get back in the truck, pull forward, and then get out and re lock it.
What manufacturers void the frame warranty? Just curious who you spoke to. I spoke to Northwood, Jayco, Heartland and Forest River, none of which will void the frame warranty if you use an Andersen.

In addition, Andersen makes hitches to attach to the gooseneck ball or rail mount hitches. They have a demo where they used a short box ram with a toolbox and turns nearly 90 degrees without touching anything - no slider needed!. They are amazing hitches. Best part, when we're done, I unbolt the two bolts (60 seconds) and hand the entire hitch to my wife so she can hang it on the wall (weighs 40 pounds)!!

The Andersen may not work for you but they are amazing hitches for most applications. Before you decide, review all the literature on the Andersen web page and see for yourself. And no, I do not work for Andersen.

2008 GMC Sierra LMM CCSB LTZ
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:59 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Andersen does not make a 5th wheel hitch, only the gooseneck adapter style (some trailer MFG's will void frame warranty with them), and the B&W is not an automatic slider.

With the short bed, it's nice to have the auto slider so you do not have to remember to get out and move the hitch, then get back in the truck, pull forward, and then get out and re lock it.
Wrong... The Andersen is NOT a GN adapter. A GN adapter moves the attach point to the bed putting more stress on kingpin. The Andersen Ultimate “5th wheel hitch” will not void trailer warranty. The attach point is raised to the same level as a standard 5er hitch. Stop spreading bad info...
poosniffer and walleyerod like this.

2012 Quicksilver SLT CCSB Sub 200mi regen club, fuel guzzling, dealer queen LEMON...

Amp Powersteps
Insight CTS
305/55/20 Mickey ATZ P3
Bilstein 5100s
Rancho stabilizer
B&W Turnover Ball w/Andersen Ultimate 5er Hitch
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:40 PM

I may have been thinking of the other adapters. With the Andersen you have to measure the pin box to make certain it does not hit the side rails of the truck bed.

Anything that changes the geometry of the hitch without the consent of the MFG is a reason for them to void the warranty. The Andersen hitch can change the length of the pin box resulting in changes of forces (should be less), but that may be enough for them to void the warranty. Remember the trailer MFG is not always the frame MFG. I know on my Dutchmen, the frame and its warranty is by LCI.

2004.5 Silver Birch Metallic GMC K2500HD
18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_73 View Post
Wrong... The Andersen is NOT a GN adapter. A GN adapter moves the attach point to the bed putting more stress on kingpin. The Andersen Ultimate “5th wheel hitch” will not void trailer warranty. The attach point is raised to the same level as a standard 5er hitch. Stop spreading bad info...
I did a lot of research before I purchased the Andersen, this ^^^^ is correct.

2008 GMC Sierra LMM CCSB LTZ
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:47 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyerod View Post
What manufacturers void the frame warranty? Just curious who you spoke to. I spoke to Northwood, Jayco, Heartland and Forest River, none of which will void the frame warranty if you use an Andersen.
I do know that some will void the warranty if you use a gooseneck adapter due to the twisting moment where it bolts to the 5er frame. JUST to be sure I would call the frame manufacturer with the model number and ask about that.

Quote:
In addition, Andersen makes hitches to attach to the gooseneck ball or rail mount hitches. They have a demo where they used a short box ram with a toolbox and turns nearly 90 degrees without touching anything - no slider needed!. They are amazing hitches. Best part, when we're done, I unbolt the two bolts (60 seconds) and hand the entire hitch to my wife so she can hang it on the wall (weighs 40 pounds)!!
I have a Reese hitch. If I want to remove it I simply pull the 4 pins and lift it out when Im disconnecting my 5er. It hangs on the king Pin til I put it back in by reversing the procedure.

I bet pushing the landing gear switch takes even less effort than lifting your 40 lb Anderson.
Duramaxdan59 likes this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:13 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyerod View Post
As most 5vr frames are made by Lippert, that is who I would call..........

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:43 AM

The key component in terms of ride comfort is the trailer's pin box. Ones that use a shock absorber help greatly to minimize transferring of trailer movement to the cab of the truck.

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel.../LC328492.html

"In almost every case (where the United States has fought wars) our overwhelming commitment to freedom, democracy and human rights has required us to support those regimes that would deny freedom, democracy and human rights to their own people." - Gore Vidal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode