Allison ATS transmission running hot - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Allison ATS transmission running hot

I have an ATS transmission in my 2008 GMC 2500hd duramax. This was in the truck when I bought it at 99k miles. It has 130k on it now. It was running hotter then I liked it to so I changed the fluid and external filter. Didnít fix the problem so pulled the stock trans cooler and put in the PPE transmission cooler. Still no fix, not sure what to do next. Dip stick is hard to read so I made sure the fluid wasnít too high. Even went by a trans shop and had them check the fluid levels.
Not sure what to do now. Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum!! How hot is "hotter than I liked it"? Do you see high temps while in stop and go traffic? Are you sure the gauge is reading OK? Do you tow anything? Are you using an aftermarket grille? Have you tried cleaning the cooling stack? (search for how to). Is the dipstick tube fully seated? What year? Is it a 5 speed or 6 speed? Did the ATS trans replace a trans with burned clutches? If so, you might have burned clutch debris clogging the radiator heat exchanger.
You might provide some clues on what you have so folks can help figure it out.....
mizterwizard likes this.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, EFI Live V2 & DSP5 by Rob, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowbs127 View Post
I have an ATS transmission in my 2008 GMC 2500hd duramax. This was in the truck when I bought it at 99k miles. It has 130k on it now. It was running hotter then I liked it to so I changed the fluid and external filter. Didnít fix the problem so pulled the stock trans cooler and put in the PPE transmission cooler. Still no fix, not sure what to do next. Dip stick is hard to read so I made sure the fluid wasnít too high. Even went by a trans shop and had them check the fluid levels.
Not sure what to do now. Any help would be great.
I believe it says 2008 which would be a 6spd..

269 Bob
2019 Chevy 2500HD Midnight Edition
SW Mich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 05:20 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Built transmissions tend to run a little hotter correct? So what is the actual temp your talking about?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

2016 lml chevy ccsb. Last december installed a HSP compound turbo kit with a stainless diesel 5 blade S475 over stock. And a exergy 10mm cp3 conversion kit but still stock injectors and transmission. 5" flo-pro exhaust with no muffler and tuning is done with EZ Lynk by PPEI.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 06:10 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

What about the internal filter ?
Lasting a lifetime theory went out years ago.
What are the outside temps where your located, Iíll also throw in what are these trans temps running that your concerned about.
What fluid did you use? Did you contact ATS asking what fluid do they recommend.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Well from what I read standard operating temp is 180-200 or 100 degrees over ambient temp. Yesterday it was 80 degrees and it got to 228 driving around town. Last weekend I ent up to the mountains where it was in the 70ís and 60ís. And going up the mountain it got to 240 and my programmer goes into defuel so I would pull over and let it cool down. I have the dash temp and the programmer reads temp as well. I donít know if they read from the same spot or not. As for the transmission clutch debris I have no idea. I was told it was upgraded for towing. It is a 6 speed I used valvoline dexron 6
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:25 AM
HWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowbs127 View Post
Well from what I read standard operating temp is 180-200 or 100 degrees over ambient temp. Yesterday it was 80 degrees and it got to 228 driving around town. Last weekend I ent up to the mountains where it was in the 70ís and 60ís. And going up the mountain it got to 240 and my programmer goes into defuel so I would pull over and let it cool down. I have the dash temp and the programmer reads temp as well. I donít know if they read from the same spot or not. As for the transmission clutch debris I have no idea. I was told it was upgraded for towing. It is a 6 speed I used valvoline dexron 6
Most built transmissions use dex 3, you should contact ATS and confirm.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 11:11 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

The biggest problem is its purple. Might be a blockage in a line to the cooler. Did you flush them when you changed the cooler? Could be the convertor isnt locking up as that will generate the most heat. Anyway to see if convertor is locking? Try driving in towhaul as the comverter will engage must sooner (between 2nd and 3rd usually vs 5th when not in towhaul).

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 11:12 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
Most built transmissions use dex 3, you should contact ATS and confirm.
Dex 6 wont hurt a built trans, dex 3 is just more grippy iirc. I run dex 3 but was told that its fine to use dex6 like transynd.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

ATS said I should run Dex 3 and up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« LBZ Allison Issues | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode