Trans help/ advice needed - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Trans help/ advice needed

Recently installed efi live tunes from ppei on the truck and have now thrown limp codes twice in the past week or so. Each time it happened when trying to pass on the highway, didn't floor it (was already doing 72) added just enough to get it up to 80. Each time it hit 80, immediately have a clunk or thud as if it missed the gear and acted like it was stuck in the lower gear.
The first time it happened, got a cel and pulled over, checked for flud under the truck as it felt eerily similar to prior to christmas when I threw an end cap on the upper u-joint on the driveshaft which cracked the tail housing (rear adapter) of the transmission. Cycled the truck on and off, cel light went out and tranny acted as if it was just a hickup and was fine.
The second time (today) same lead up, but this time the cel is staying on. Took it to autozone and their scanner was able to read P0735 and P0843 (ironically the edge- used as the monitor/ inplace of the dsp5 switch- couldn't read these codes??)
When the dealership repaired the tail housing they did change it out while keeping the tranny in the truck- would that have caused any issues? Truck didn't have any issues prior to that (within this realm, this fall has been a saga thus far).
Was already planning on rebuilding the tranny this summer (it has 244K on it), will be looking at fluid levels and the such in the morning when the sun comes up to rule out low levels (don't trust the dealer to have filled it up correctly). Could it be an issue with one of the solenoids on the valve body?
Both times this happened, it was on tune 4 of 5, have no intention of even checking out what 5 can do until the trans was/ is rebuilt.

Any help/ advice is greatly appreciated

CPT

2004 Chev 2500HD LB7 238K and counting
2" leveling keys on front, 1.5" block level to the rear, Fass 95 fuel pump, +50 HP Injectors, Banks Big Head waste gate, Banks cold air intake with scoop, Profab air horn, mishimoto thermostats (-1 deg), PPE upper and lower radiator hoses, PPE Deep Trans Pan, Fleece trans cooler lines, MBRP 4" inch exhaust and quiet muffler, MBRP Intercooler pipes- driver and passenger, fleece tie rod sleeves, LDS 64mm Super Core, EFILive by PPEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 07:09 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

As you have probably concluded, it's time to rebuild the trans. It won't heal itself. Choose a builder carefully.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:38 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Youre in pa correct? Get ahold of caleb at blackout performance for your transmission. Or if you do it yourself evan at limitless diesel has a great kit. P0735 is incorrect 5th gear ratio. No coming back from that one usually. With the mileage you have, and recently tuning it, i doubt its a sensor. You hurt clutches.
jelake likes this.

"Flat Back Gorilla" Daily/Tow rig- 04 GMC Sierra LB7 CC Flatbed/Tune/Exhaust
"Empty Pockets" Race/Pulling truck- 2012 CCSB Cummins/Built Engine/
Full Billet 48RE Swap controlled by PCS2000/
B&M Ratchet shifter/Big fuel/Big air/Lowered

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:54 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Rip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Mike L, Inglewood. ,CA the Allison Guru.............give him a biz, he can set you up with a replacement or rebuild yorus.

PS. your Edge cannot read xmsn codes, it will see the P700 code which is just a generic xmsn code in the ECM As you found you need a better scanner to read the xmsn.
ALLY Cat likes this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 01-23-2020 at 07:16 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 07:28 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Dang, I had this identical problem happening after doing the same tunes with an egr delete. I was just going to ask if it might be something not serious. I live in Central Or. any recommendations for transmission rebuilds in the northwest?
What does this usually cost? Ballpark?

2005 Chevy 2500HD LLY
Edge Evolution, S&B CAI and Elbow , PCV reroute , 4" MBRP Exhaust
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 07:32 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzman4 View Post
Dang, I had this identical problem happening after doing the same tunes with an egr delete. I was just going to ask if it might be something not serious. I live in Central Or. any recommendations for transmission rebuilds in the northwest?
It is my guess (just a guess mind you) that you two have tunes too hot for your transmission and this is the inevitable result.
ALLY Cat likes this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:30 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Quote:
Time to rebuild. Figure about $4K-$5K to get it done right. I live in the WilLAMette Valley, had those same symptoms right after EFI Live tuning I knew it would happen after tuning. Decided it was time to take it to Inglewood Transmission, about 5 miles from Disneyland. Bought a couple of 4 day passes to Disney, hooked up the 5th wheel and drove 1,000 miles down to an RV park in Anaheim. Took my truck to Mike the next morning and he had it back to me the next day with Transgo, better clutches, upgraded TC etc. Also had him replace the downpipe and fix the transfer case rub. That was about 5 years ago, still going strong. And Momma got a pair of mouse ears too!!
DMAXfirefighter and jelake like this.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:41 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Replacing extension housing while trans is still in the truck is a big mistake.
jelake likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:06 AM
DuramaxForum Guru

Quote:
You can call Scott up at SDP in Port Angeles Washington. That's who does mine. Or you can get a hold of Pure Addiction Diesel, which they are out of Oregon and do a great job as well

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

2006 Victory Red CCLB LT3 LBZ
Tuned by Blake Crenshaw
SDP Fully Built Trans w/ Billet Goerend G Converter
S472 SX-E.87/1.0ar sitting on a Wagler street intake W/ a twisted pedestal
Stock Sticks
Special thanks to Scott with Screaming Diesel Performance
Blake with Unleashed Duramax tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode