Allison transmission shudder 4th to 5th gear! Any thoughts? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Allison transmission shudder 4th to 5th gear! Any thoughts?

Hey Guys. I'm having a bad shudder in the transmission when shifting from 4th to 5th gear only. Not happening all the time though and only occurs when driving on an incline, never on the flat. Some shudders appear worse then others even when driving on the same road. One day it was so bad that my little guy said "Dad I think the truck is going to blow up"!! So far I've counted 13 times that it has happened. The other issue is that the truck seems to surge ahead when downshifting to first gear just before coming to a complete stop. Again not all the time. Brought it to the dealer and they couldn't get the truck to duplicate my complaint and it wasn't tossing any codes. Of course the very next morning after I pick it up it would do it twice...unreal! They told me to keep an eye on it and pop back to the dealer so they can take another look. I hope this is not any indication of how this truck is going to be. Only 11,000 km on dash and I just got the truck back after 15 days for the steering gear pitman arm shaft. So disappointed right now. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Thx!

'17 Sierra 2500 Denali L5P ~ Summit White

295/60R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers ~ RC Level ~ LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags ~ 30" RC Light Bar ~ 30W 5000K LED Fog ~ Color Matched Grille, Wheel Arches and Mud Flaps ~ ABD Billet Insert ~ Undercover Flex ~ WeatherTech Liners ~ Winter Setup 285/75R18 Duratracs on 18" stockers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:14 AM

Big O...any luck figuring it out?....I have the same issue. I'm told it's a known issue with an UNKNOWN fix....something to do with Converter locking and unlocking. The general thought at my Repair shop is the TCM programming....Maybe an aftermarket TCM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in