Former Allison Transmission Fluids Engineer (Mr. TranSynd) - Page 135 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1341 of 1352 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post

So, you have two opened up in your shop?
or...maybe just one?
HH... He's seen pic's on the interweb...
ALLY Cat and Busa Dave like this.

2007 2500HD "Classic" 4x4, LBZ/Allison, CC/SB,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1342 of 1352 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:03 AM

That guy never makes any sense.
post #1343 of 1352 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Even the pictures on the web show it. The case looks slightly different, but the internals are basicaly the same.
The parts will be different only to the point to where they will not interchange even though they look alike.
LMLLover likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1344 of 1352 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:21 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I have only been around diesels for a couple of years now, but that is plenty long enough to know that if I am going to correct someone on a forum, it would not be Mike about Allison transmissions.

One day soon, I am going to be a hero and drive my family to Disneyland for a couple of days.
ALLY Cat likes this.

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight cts2, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light, Morimoto mini D2S 5.0 projectors w/hidís, Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 ledís highs and fogs.
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags,
Nitro 4.30ís w/Nitro TracRite posi...
post #1345 of 1352 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
I did it at 14k miles, and never looked back. The improvement in shift quality is reason enough , at least to me.

If there ever is some kind of warranty issue with the transmission ( ....very, very unlikely) there is no way they will know there is a TES-295 fluid in there.

If the fluid is thin, red, and oily..... thats as far as the fluid investigation will go.
My 2018 owners manual shows TES-295 as a recommended fluid as well; my assumption is that wouldn't trigger a warranty concern but who knows now-a-days.

2018 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison 4wd Z71
2019 BMW 330i
1973 Chevy C10 250 Inline 6 (project truck)
post #1346 of 1352 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 02:03 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
This is all news to me. There goes one of the main advantages GM had. Maybe some day they will all use the same drive train and then all that will be left between them is the styling. If the latest Silverado is any indication perhaps GM should then leave the truck market and concentrate on cars like Ford has left the car market to concentrate on trucks.
how exactly is this a loss of advantage??

Sure, in 2001, the allison offering was a major advantage over the ford and dodge offerings at that time, but ford quickly responded and the 6 speed torqshift is an incredibly stout and intelligent transmission. Dodge is still behind gm/ford with both of their auto trans, but they're significantly better than the were 18 years ago.

the GM and Ford half tons share the same internals. however, the tuning, which is vastly more important, GM has a strong advantage in.

Therefore, it is not unreasonable to think that the 3/4 and ton truck transmissions will be similar. The L5P with this new transmission is an extremely attractive combination right now in my mind. Curious to see what the aftermarket industry comes up in terms of performance.
Busa Dave likes this.

-Lee-
LBZ Crew, some things, tired converter, creaks and squeaks
Raptor lined rockers and flares by me
post #1347 of 1352 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 07:02 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

They already share transfer cases, differentials, u-joints and many other parts. Europeans share many parts across lines. Perhaps we will become the same.

I remember when GM started putting Chevy engines in Oldsmobiles. It kind of went unnoticed for a year or so and then the word started getting out. There was a big uproar among consumer groups and talk of class action law suits.

It hardly made sense for each GM division to have it's own 350 V8 but that is the way it was. Gone are the days when the sign on top of the building said, "Rocket Fire V8". Gone are the days when each division had their own transmission. Today the only difference between the cars of one line and a sister line is a few folds in the sheet metal and the items on the option list.

When the same thing happens between different makers then we will have lost much of the reason for brand loyalty. The way it is going there may not be any serious difference between continents either soon.
post #1348 of 1352 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
When the same thing happens between different makers then we will have lost much of the reason for brand loyalty.
We're pretty much there advertising-wise. Noone touts their engine or mechanical specs with the exception of pickups and payload capacity. Its all focused on niceties and convenience options. Heck, look at ford. Their advertising for some of the f150s is to convince people that probably SHOULD NOT be pulling ANY load at all... that their pickup can help them back it up.

07 Bowtie LMM CCSB Z: Nice truck, mad wife, empty wallet.

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.
post #1349 of 1352 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Location: Carson City, NV Proud Participant, Federal Witness Protection Program
Still get the occasional Mr. Transynd alert and noticed this one mentioned towing capacity.

Hereís an excellent video that turned up in my YouTube feed that explains light truck towing capacity. (I watched at 1.5). Who knew that until recently, manufacturers could state numbers without any science? The SAE finally stepped up and wrote a spec so all trucks now have the same benchmark:

mizterwizard likes this.
post #1350 of 1352 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:07 PM

Like to see the tests on the other 2 at the same place.

04 GMC LB7 2500 SAC 45 injectors DSP5 EFI live, ported air inlet. 4" MBRP droning exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode