Allison is gone, need info please - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By 6686L
  • 1 Post By 830king
  • 1 Post By 830king
  • 1 Post By 07Dmaxx93

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Allison is gone, need info please

Got an LMM with 254k miles. installed a S369SXE about 2k miles ago and now the trans is out (who woulda guessed) Now I'm looking at building the trans myself but not sure what kit would be my best bet to go with and what Torque convertor will be best with the turbo setup. Is there anything else I should do while in there such as trans lines or a new cooler since I won't be able to have it hot flushed. Looking to be able to tow, daily, track, and dyne this truck. Thanks guys!

2007.5 CCSB LMM
EFI live ECM Tuning by PPEI
S369SXE by WCFab
Fass 150GPH
XDP Sump

Instagram: 07Dmaxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to jc1843
Probably not a good idea to rebuilt the trans yourself-- unless you have a lot of experience on Transmissions- The parts cost around $3,000 and one mistake and you have to do it all over again-- and buy parts again-! There is a list of shops in the Trans Sticky at the top of the trans section- The Forum does not endorse these shops- This is only for your information-!

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/t...-help-add.html

Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info! But after reading through a few threads and purchasing an ATSG manual for the Allison 1000/2000 Im fairly confident in my ability to do this job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007.5 CCSB LMM
S369SXE by WCFab
Fass 150GPH
XDP Sump

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 09:55 AM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Dmaxx93 View Post
Got an LMM with 254k miles. installed a S369SXE about 2k miles ago and now the trans is out (who woulda guessed)!
=========================================
Please use plain language - some of us are not that "into" after-market modifications and their terminology.

So - tell us just what is this " S369SXE" and precisely how do you believe its installation related to a transmission failure ( it is my understanding...well....it is my HOPE ! ) that if you change the transmission fluid & its "spin-on" filter every 50,000 miles or so the Allison has an outstanding service life.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
6686L, a S369SXE is a fixed vane/ non VGT turbo. With this turbo my truck should be making around 580-600 depending on the health of my fuel system. The trans has been shot for a while in the sense that it has lost lockup a multitude of times causing it to overheat, but this was the final nail in the coffin if you will.

2007.5 CCSB LMM
S369SXE by WCFab
Fass 150GPH
XDP Sump

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 12:57 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Dmaxx93 View Post
6686L, a S369SXE is a fixed vane/ non VGT turbo.. The trans has been shot for a while in the sense that it has lost lockup a multitude of times causing it to overheat, but this was the final nail in the coffin if you will. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
=================================
Thank you for your explanation. It confirms my prejudice that by exceeding the design criteria of a otherwise well-made, reliable product, one can break it !

Yes - you are correct - when a automatic transmission fails to "lock-up", the fluid and clutches rub together, generate excess heat, which in turn guarantees eventual failure.

You will have to forgive me for being a 'I told you so " kind of guy. I have found my own experience with both my past and present Duramax/Allisons is that by operating them within their design limits, they last...and last...and last.....!http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/i...nocent0002.gif
07Dmaxx93 likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
=================================

Thank you for your explanation. It confirms my prejudice that by exceeding the design criteria of a otherwise well-made, reliable product, one can break it !

Yes - you are correct - when a automatic transmission fails to "lock-up", the fluid and clutches rub together, generate excess heat, which in turn guarantees eventual failure.

You will have to forgive me for being a 'I told you so " kind of guy. I have found my own experience with both my past and present Duramax/Allisons is that by operating them within their design limits, they last...and last...and last.....!http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/i...nocent0002.gif

Im not upset by this failure at all. Ive owned the truck since 167k miles. Within the first week it was tuned and deleted with EFI live. The truck is now at 253,512 MI. I cannot complain with the life i have given this truck vs the life i have gotten out of these components.

2007.5 CCSB LMM
S369SXE by WCFab
Fass 150GPH
XDP Sump

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:20 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Evan at Limitless diesel in Massachusetts has a great diy kit and a really nice custom 1078 converter. I had him build me a crate trans last year. Here are some big name builders I can rattle off the top of my head, I'm not sure if they all sell kits tho you'll have to call them and ask. Scott at Screaming diesel performance, Mike at Inglewood transmission, Goerge at Big Dipper, Dustin at Diesel addiction, and Merchant automotive. There's others but I can't remember any more at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
07Dmaxx93 likes this.

My name is Dan, I drive a 2005 2500hd ccsb lly 4x4, victory red, Efi live Robs trans safe tunes, Edge cts w/pyro, Silverline 5" exhaust, Magnaflow downpipe, LML ds manifold, Arp head studs, S&b turbo inlet, S&b cai dry filter, Ppe shim kit, drilled fuel rails, B&w turnover gooseneck, Ma welded waterpump, Profab egr delete, Fass titanium 150, Beans fuel sump, Ma pump rub plate, 285/75-16 duratrac on stock rims, Kryptonite tie rod & centerlink, Kryptonite sway bar end links, kryptonite lower ball joints Rare parts extreme duty pitman and idler arms, Dhd steering brace, Alligator 5/8" trans lines.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:22 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Oh and have a list of what mods you have now and any future plans with your truck. They will know exactly what you need.

07Dmaxx93 likes this.

My name is Dan, I drive a 2005 2500hd ccsb lly 4x4, victory red, Efi live Robs trans safe tunes, Edge cts w/pyro, Silverline 5" exhaust, Magnaflow downpipe, LML ds manifold, Arp head studs, S&b turbo inlet, S&b cai dry filter, Ppe shim kit, drilled fuel rails, B&w turnover gooseneck, Ma welded waterpump, Profab egr delete, Fass titanium 150, Beans fuel sump, Ma pump rub plate, 285/75-16 duratrac on stock rims, Kryptonite tie rod & centerlink, Kryptonite sway bar end links, kryptonite lower ball joints Rare parts extreme duty pitman and idler arms, Dhd steering brace, Alligator 5/8" trans lines.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 830king View Post
Oh and have a list of what mods you have now and any future plans with your truck. They will know exactly what you need.

Thanks for the info man. Evans kit has been what Im looking at and I will be sure to give him a call with all my info when Im ready to do so.

830king likes this.

2007.5 CCSB LMM
S369SXE by WCFab
Fass 150GPH
XDP Sump

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode