Transmission not circulating fluid to cooler - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Transmission Shop Discuss the Allison OEM, aftermarket, and the ZF-6.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Healing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Transmission not circulating fluid to cooler

2001 LB7 transmission is getting hot 260 degrees. Air temp 95+ running empty. I drained trans fluid, new inner and spin on filter refilled with transynd. Trans is not over full. Installed new oversized PPE transmission cooler. I can place my fingers on both sides of steel lines on front trans cooler and both lines are cool to the touch. For some reason I am not getting fluid to circulate. Engine runs cool 190 degrees, truck is stock, transmission shifts fine. Trans temp verified hot using a inferred temp gun pointed at pan and spin on filter. What should I be looking at next? Thanks
Racewazes likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:14 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Fluid flow routing is;
trans to rad
rad to aux cooler out front
aux cooler back to trans

Remove the inlet line to the rad and inspect for debris at that connection.
When the innards start to go, debris will hit the narrows of that connection and pile up, restricting fluid flow....and you'll see excessive heat spikes.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post

When the innards start to go, debris will hit the narrows of that connection and pile up, restricting fluid flow....and you'll see excessive heat spikes.
I pulled the line off and found debris at the connection. Thank you for the tip! Now my question is how much life is left in this transmission if any? I am hopeful I can clean the cooler out and run it for awhile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:00 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post

Dang Hooky!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Did you pull the Radiator out to inspect the It ?

Driving through the foothills in central Cail empty, look at cts and tranny temp was 215. By the time I found a flat place to pull over temp was 223. (outside temp was 91)
I cleaned the stack (took the Rad and Intercooler out and sprayed them out) about 2k miles ago so thats clean. Sure wish I would of looked at the tranny radiator inlet now.

2006 LBZ 2500 4x4 cc
Bilstein 5100s
4inch MBRP exhaust
MBRP Down pipe
Power Steering cooler
CTS2 Evelution
FASS 95
Beans Sump
Merchant Auto pump hub fix
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:23 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healing View Post
I pulled the line off and found debris at the connection. Thank you for the tip! Now my question is how much life is left in this transmission if any? I am hopeful I can clean the cooler out and run it for awhile?
No way for someone to know how much might be in the transmission, so take the pan off, do the inspection of any debris, clean it thoroughly including the magnet, and change the spin on filter. You need to flush our yout trans fluid line from the trans to the radiator to the trans cooler and back to the trans with the proper flushing fluid (avoid pushing any debris back into the trans itself), such as Kooler Kleen. See here:

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in