Tire size - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Wheels & Tires Discuss what wheels & tires are right for you.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Tire size

I have a 2006 Duramax. Currently running Fabtech 6” lift with 37” tires on 20” wheels. Looking to go to 35” tires on some new 20” wheels. I am worried it may look to small. Anybody have any pics of my set up using 35” tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D8757060-D18A-4444-A641-2098ACC2BA1A_1571851988279.jpg (30.1 KB, 86 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 09:34 AM

I have a fabtech 6" on 35x12.50x17 heres a picture for reference if you still need it. Did you have to do any trimming for your 37s? I'm getting ready to bump up to those.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck tires.jpg (63.4 KB, 62 views)

'06 LBZ / Edge Evolution / 6" Lift / 35" Rubbers
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 10:33 AM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Tire size? Well...why do you suppose a certain size is "spec'd" for your particular version? Could it be that all those engineers know something you either don't know, or don't want to know because it isn't "cool".

I am in favor of using the size my vehicle came with when new. As to QUALITY of tires, well...that's the problem....I've had enough sad experiences with CHINA BOMBS that I suggest you try and find a legit AMERICAN-made tire.

As for tread patterns, as I noted elsewhere...I understand..I "get it"...for some, having a very "aggressive" tread design helps with their personal issues. In fact...that is so common some manufacturers even BRAG their tire tread is "aggressive-looking".

My prejudice is that the best-handling tire is one with a very ordinary "highway tread" design; more rubber on the road.

But what about "off-road". Some of us actually LIVE "off-road"...meaning in my case, about a mile of unimproved roads that get muddy, snowy....washed out....just generally not something the "city folk" are used to, but THINK is fun to have to deal with.

Typically, in mud or snow, those "aggressive" knobby quickly get packed with mud or snow & ice, leaving you with a surface that may not actually grip as better than an ordinary "highway" tread.

I personally have not seen any connection between tire/wheel SIZE, as well as tread design, for determining who gets stuck. Let me qualify that by noting I do not go out looking for big boulders to climb, at least not in my pick-up truck. For that kind of specialized driving, may I suggest the correct specialized vehicle...? Such as a horse, mule, ATV, or better yet..a heliocopter…? I am not competent to comment...we have no big boulders around here that I have a need to throw my truck against.

So - I agree - the choice of tires depends more on what your own personality requires, than actual road/driving conditions.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.

Last edited by 6686L; 11-26-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 10:46 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

6 inch fabtech, 20x12, 35x13.5 Toyo AT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck 1.jpg (89.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg truck 2.jpg (67.0 KB, 52 views)

2017 GMC Denali: 5% tint all around, 55% windshield, RC traction bars, 6" Fabtech, 20x12 Hostile Stykers, 35x13.5 Toyo A/T
2003 LB7 ECSB Too much air, too much fuel(Died 26May2017)
Daily Driver: 2014 Cruze TDI, cold air intake (best mod ever), 5% all the way around

PhotoBucket: http://s793.photobucket.com/user/mic...bock1/library/
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 03:32 PM

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/wh...=35q&sort=date
NHfireDmax likes this.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Off-road Only
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 05:03 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
Tire size? Well...why do you suppose a certain size is "spec'd" for your particular version? Could it be that all those engineers know something you either don't know, or don't want to know because it isn't "cool".

I am in favor of using the size my vehicle came with when new. As to QUALITY of tires, well...that's the problem....I've had enough sad experiences with CHINA BOMBS that I suggest you try and find a legit AMERICAN-made tire.

As for tread patterns, as I noted elsewhere...I understand..I "get it"...for some, having a very "aggressive" tread design helps with their personal issues. In fact...that is so common some manufacturers even BRAG their tire tread is "aggressive-looking".

My prejudice is that the best-handling tire is one with a very ordinary "highway tread" design; more rubber on the road.

But what about "off-road". Some of us actually LIVE "off-road"...meaning in my case, about a mile of unimproved roads that get muddy, snowy....washed out....just generally not something the "city folk" are used to, but THINK is fun to have to deal with.

Typically, in mud or snow, those "aggressive" knobby quickly get packed with mud or snow & ice, leaving you with a surface that may not actually grip as better than an ordinary "highway" tread.

I personally have not seen any connection between tire/wheel SIZE, as well as tread design, for determining who gets stuck. Let me qualify that by noting I do not go out looking for big boulders to climb, at least not in my pick-up truck. For that kind of specialized driving, may I suggest the correct specialized vehicle...? Such as a horse, mule, ATV, or better yet..a heliocopter…? I am not competent to comment...we have no big boulders around here that I have a need to throw my truck against.

So - I agree - the choice of tires depends more on what your own personality requires, than actual road/driving conditions.
Oh for [email protected]#$ sake get a life...
BlakDog04 and Busa Dave like this.

2019 Quartz Red Denali HD Chrome deleted
2013 GMC SLE fully deleated. Sold
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 05:40 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

NH you fall for his spiel every time!!
Busa Dave and NHfireDmax like this.

2019 Chevrolet 4500HD CC 4X4 Flatbed
2018 Chevrolet 1500 CC 4X4 High Country 6.2 liter
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 Flatbed--SOLD
2011 Peterbilt 337 hauler with 360HP 8.3 Cummins--SOLD
1957 GMC 1 ton flatbed with 22K original miles.
3 different Kubotas
2003 Chevrolet 2500HD CC: 2011 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 and 2013 3500HD ex. cab 4X4-- all sold.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 06:47 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireDmax View Post
Oh for [email protected]#$ sake get a life...
..…………………………………………………………………………………….
Poor fellow - so angry with what he thinks his life has done to him, he has no choice - cannot contribute to our knowledge - just use this forum to TRY and relieve some of his free-floating anger.
RBen likes this.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambor View Post
NH you fall for his spiel every time!!
. . . . .
here's another one - who deserves sympathy, not scorn. The overwhelming majority in here want to exchange info. and see what they can learn, what they can contribute to fellow GMC/Chev. truck operators.

Don't let the above two "hard-cases" discourage you from contributing. We need each other's help to get the best service out of our trucks.

What I learned in here turned a very disappointing "do-it-yourself" kit into an absolutely delightful, serviceable vehicle. So comment away, and if a couple of sad-sacks feel a need to be disagreeable, trying to take their personal problems out on us, just let it go.

Oh, for those who do not speak German "spiel" is German for "song". Where this poor soul got the idea that I can sing...beats me.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 07:34 PM

"We need each other's help to get the best service out of our trucks", but also "having a very "aggressive" tread design helps with their personal issues". So I guess to the OP our fellow buddy here is helping you with your 35" tire dilemma by insinuating you get your Johnson examined.
gmc502 and NHfireDmax like this.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Off-road Only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode