BFG KO2 10 ply ????? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Wheels & Tires Discuss what wheels & tires are right for you.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

BFG KO2 10 ply ?????

Just got a new set of the BFG KO2 tires. It says on the tire they are 3 ply tires. WTF I thought they were 10 ply like other E rated tires. What gives? They were sold to me as 10 ply tires. Now I am doing a little more internet homework and some places say 2 ply and some say 3 ply but "rated" as 10 ply E rated tires. Am I missing something? They are rated at over 3400 pounds for towing. Just wondering what the difference is. I have always been a BFG KO fan but now I don't know.

The Republic of California
2014 Chevy 2500HD bone Stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 09:34 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I have the same tires. I think 3 ply is the side wall

LBZ
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 10:24 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

LOL. 3 ply is the sidewall.

NOTHING WORKS LIKE A CHEVY TRUCK.

2007.5 Silverado 2500HD WT 4X4 LMM Victory Red
2017 Honda Accord Sport 6MT Crystal Black Pearl
2006 R53 MINI Cooper Sa Dark Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2500 View Post
Just got a new set of the BFG KO2 tires. It says on the tire they are 3 ply tires. WTF I thought they were 10 ply like other E rated tires. What gives? They were sold to me as 10 ply tires. Now I am doing a little more internet homework and some places say 2 ply and some say 3 ply but "rated" as 10 ply E rated tires. Am I missing something? They are rated at over 3400 pounds for towing. Just wondering what the difference is. I have always been a BFG KO fan but now I don't know.
10 Ply tires don't really exist anymore, that's how tires used to be constructed. The industry simply never gives up the terminology even though times have changed just like a 3/4 ton truck can actually haul over 2 tons safely in some configurations today. Modern (and we're talking at least the past 30+ years) tires are not bias ply anymore though I understand some are still made for antique vehicles. Current E rated tires are mostly 2 ply sidewall tires, the KO2 is one of the few that are actually 3 ply so you picked a strong tire. Other tires that are typically 3 ply are MT (mud terrain) tires as they need the added SW protection for offroad sharp rocks.

Many articles available on this:

http://cocomponents.com/dealer/power...ial-explained/

Load Range E 10 Ply Tires for Heavy Duty Use - Make Driving Fun with Performance Tires & Wheels | Tire Rack

History
TDavis1992 likes this.

GMC 2007 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 Diesel
Cognito Stage 4 Leveling kit(stock keys)
285/75r16 BFG KO2 M/T Sidebiter II Wheels

Last edited by dh dad; 06-12-2015 at 05:01 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 05:08 AM

BTW, I chose the same tire and just put them on the truck. Haven't driven it yet but looking forward to these tires with their stout SW and being snow rated. I think you made a good choice but time will tell. I got 285/75r16E for the 3750 load rating. They are E rated, many still refer to them as 10 ply but they're really not.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

OK that makes sense forgive my ignorance....

So if that is the case now why does places like Les Schwab who sell the Toyo tires sell them as "better" than 10 ply tires because they are 11 ply. Seems just a play on words now. I always liked the KO tires but the Toyo has a warranty and are sold as 11 ply so I was going back and forth.

I was also interested in the Duratrack tires but read that they were 3 ply E rated tires so I stayed away from those. I guess marketing and advertising 3 ply "rated" as 10 ply is just the norm now days

The Republic of California
2014 Chevy 2500HD bone Stock for now
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
OK that makes sense forgive my ignorance....

So if that is the case now why does places like Les Schwab who sell the Toyo tires sell them as "better" than 10 ply tires because they are 11 ply. Seems just a play on words now. I always liked the KO tires but the Toyo has a warranty and are sold as 11 ply so I was going back and forth.

I was also interested in the Duratrack tires but read that they were 3 ply E rated tires so I stayed away from those. I guess marketing and advertising 3 ply "rated" as 10 ply is just the norm now days
Which tire are they claiming that for? They're probably counting the SW plies plus the tread plies. Not all Toyo tires are "better", for instance the Toyo AT II in 285/75r16E is a 2 ply Sidewall tire where the KO2 is 3 ply but the Toyo AT II in the next size up 295/75r16E is 3 ply sidewall. Toyo and Nitto tires are size specific for number of plies for AT II and Tera Grappler G2, Toyo makes both BTW. All Toyo MT tires are 3 ply sidewall. See for yourself:

Specifications | Toyo AT II Tires

Specifications | Toyo MT Tires

Even if I add the tread plies plus the SW plies for the Toyo MT or RT (their tougher tires) it adds up to 10, the AT II in most E sizes add up to 7 or 8.

E rated now really means the tire design can handle 80psi for widths 295 and smaller and 65psi for widths 305 and larger. D rated is 65 for 295 or smaller and 50psi for 305 and larger. This is regardless of how many plies are in the tire.

Guys who haul heavy loads, like me , prefer E rated tires with 3 ply SWs over 2 ply SWs. I've run both with 4500lbs in the bed and there's a noticable difference. I've never paid as much attention to the number of tread plies though.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Not sure the model tire but it was the Toyo open country with that little lighting bolt middle tread. Every time I went to les Schwab no matter where they tried to sell me the fact that their tire in load E was a 11 ply tire and industry standard for load E is 10 ply. Now it looks like the standard is not 10 anymore.

My brother even called me the other day asking what I knew about the 11 ply. He had a 1/2 ton Chevy and doesn't tie so I told him to get the regular tire because he doesn't need an E rated tire. And he was shopping at les Schwab too
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Not sure the model tire but it was the Toyo open country with that little lighting bolt middle tread. Every time I went to les Schwab no matter where they tried to sell me the fact that their tire in load E was a 11 ply tire and industry standard for load E is 10 ply. Now it looks like the standard is not 10 anymore.

My brother even called me the other day asking what I knew about the 11 ply. He had a 1/2 ton Chevy and doesn't tie so I told him to get the regular tire because he doesn't need an E rated tire. And he was shopping at les Schwab too
Toyo makes 5 different Open Country tires, Open country is the multi terrain tire lineup. The number of plies for E rated tires in this lineup varies from model to model and size to size. I looked on Toyo's site and couldn't find a tire with enough tread plies plus enough SW plies to add up to 11. Maybe it's a Les Schwab exclusive?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:23 AM

And don't get me wrong, Toyo makes great tires and had they had a 3 ply sidewall in the Open Country AT II 285/75r16E I would have probably gotten that but I would have had to go up to a 295/75r16E and that simply won't fit in my 2500HD wheel wells. Had to mod them just to get the 285s to fit without any rub.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in