Towing with aftermarket wheels - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Wheels & Tires Discuss what wheels & tires are right for you.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

1Likes
  • 1 Post By MORSNO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Towing with aftermarket wheels

I'm getting close to buying new tires and wheels for my rig. Are there any rims I should be avoiding for weight rating issues? I will be towing a travel trailer, around 10,000lbs loaded. Hoping my local discount tire place will know what I need but I wanted to check for myself before heading up there.

PragmaticSkill

2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ
Duramax 6.6L LML Stock
Michelin Defenders LT275/65R20/E

2019 Puma Palomino 31FK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:56 AM

It is worth finding strong wheels. I cracked two raceline 18" wheels towing a 10k trailer 13k miles last summer with my LMM suburban.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:13 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I would ensure that the load rating of the wheel is more than what is expected to be towed. Lots of horror stories on the web about custom/aftermarket wheels failing when pulling loads/loaded trailers due to towing beyond the limitations of the aftermarket wheels.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:20 AM

And honestly the load ratings aren't accurate either, mine were supposedly rated for 3750 lbs...there is no way I loaded them that much. The reality is, most of the wheels out there are junk cast wheels from china. I'm hoping to find a nice set of forged or strong wheels for my next set. You get what you pay for.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Solid info guys, thanks. I might just keep the stock 20s. They're plasti dipped so my finish will be shot. Better to re-dip than crack a new rim I guess. Thanks for the replies!

PragmaticSkill

2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ
Duramax 6.6L LML Stock
Michelin Defenders LT275/65R20/E

2019 Puma Palomino 31FK
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 01:26 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PragmaticSkill View Post
I'm getting close to buying new tires and wheels for my rig. Are there any rims I should be avoiding for weight rating issues? I will be towing a travel trailer, around 10,000lbs loaded. Hoping my local discount tire place will know what I need but I wanted to check for myself before heading up there.
Are you inquiring about tires/wheels for your truck or trailer??

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneredge View Post
And honestly the load ratings aren't accurate either, mine were supposedly rated for 3750 lbs...there is no way I loaded them that much. The reality is, most of the wheels out there are junk cast wheels from china. I'm hoping to find a nice set of forged or strong wheels for my next set. You get what you pay for.
Seeing as you don't have your sig filled in I don't know what year truck you drive, but my 2015 3500 srw stock wheels are built guess where....CHINA. I have no idea what the load capacity is cause it's not stamped anywhere. My after market Beast wheels are also made in china but are stamped 3750lbs. So place of origin makes no difference as to why your wheels are cracking. I haul 14,000lb 5iver & have not had issues with either wheel.

2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ, Z71, SRW.
Summit White
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:43 PM

Most of the aftermarket wheels you see are cast aluminum and not the quality of forged aluminum wheels. Quality forged wheels will have higher weight ratings and have less issues hauling weight. I've have cast wheels crack between the lug nuts and centers, sure the mfgr replaced them, but I never trusted them again.
PragmaticSkill likes this.

2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71
Cooper AT3 LTX's, Reflex Spray-In Bed Liner, Undercover Bed Cover, Undercover Swing Case Tool Boxes, XPel Clear Car Armor Film, UltiMat DashMat, Rear Underseat Storage, Rough Country Stabilizer, F&R Dura Flaps, High/Low/Fog's All On Mod, AMP Research Power Steps, TorkLift Stable Loads, HD Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600's, Hellwig Big Wig rear stabilizer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in