Best 10ply AT's for snow and ice? - Page 6 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Wheels & Tires Discuss what wheels & tires are right for you.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 07:24 AM

Studded snow tires,

Just got a set of goodyear ultra grip ice 275 70 18 ( increase size to carry weight) with studs installed, the depth of the
studs was very inconsistent so they are going back to tire rack. How do I know if the correct stud type are being installed when i get the replacement pair? If you read this article you learn that there are different types of studds and that each manufacturer has a different type but do not install them. This is done at the dealer. Quality Control: Don?t Accept Inferior Stud Installation | Saskatchewan Studded Tire Club The exception to this is nokian but can't seem to find them. This is the second set of studded tire I have put on my 2011 chevy 3500 with an arctic fox 990 truck camper. They first where firestone winter force lt, same size. I did not inspect those before they where installed and many studs where gone after the first season and I am wondering if that was due to improper installation, incorrect stud type, poor tire selection or just a lot of weight. They worked well in snow and ice. I have tried to contact both goodyear and tire rack but both are clueless about studs to my horror. I choose the goodyears this time because of a tire test, they did best with the exception of the blizzacks but my size is on back order and it is unknown when they will be produced

Last edited by docskibum; 12-10-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: improvement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:08 AM

I've been running my studded Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice (275/70/18) tires since the winter of 2012/13. The studs and tread both look good still. They are a great winter tire, but through the years the sizes they made varied so much it was hard to find them in a size similar to factory tires.

2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71
Cooper AT3 LTX's, Reflex Spray-In Bed Liner, Undercover Bed Cover, Undercover Swing Case Tool Boxes, XPel Clear Car Armor Film, UltiMat DashMat, Rear Underseat Storage, Rough Country Stabilizer, F&R Dura Flaps, High/Low/Fog's All On Mod, AMP Research Power Steps, TorkLift Stable Loads, HD Timbren SES
post #53 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 01:54 PM

How many miles do you think you have on them? Do they have the special studs that are unique to goodyear ultra grip ice mine came with what looks like simple pins like on this article Quality Control: Don?t Accept Inferior Stud Installation | Saskatchewan Studded Tire Club here is a picture the special different studs http://www.skstuds.ca/wp-content/upl...a6731cf4a0.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg different_std_524a6731cf4a0.jpg (57.0 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by docskibum; 12-09-2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 04:43 PM

I have never seen a tire come pre-studded up here in Alaska. Local shops and dealers have to install the studs and they are all simple pins. Those fancy pins in that link are factory European tires and studs, I have never seen anything like that in use. My tires were studded at a Wingfoot shop (Good Year commercial big truck tire shop), then mounted and road force balanced at my local GM dealer.

2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71
Cooper AT3 LTX's, Reflex Spray-In Bed Liner, Undercover Bed Cover, Undercover Swing Case Tool Boxes, XPel Clear Car Armor Film, UltiMat DashMat, Rear Underseat Storage, Rough Country Stabilizer, F&R Dura Flaps, High/Low/Fog's All On Mod, AMP Research Power Steps, TorkLift Stable Loads, HD Timbren SES
post #55 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:02 PM

I have had 2 sets of Nokians and theyíve all been pre studded.
post #56 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:41 AM

Just got off the phone with goodyear corporate and they said that we, as in the U.S. market only get a simple pin and the company Brunowessel.com is the manufacturer. The stud that fits 275/70 18 is a number 15 and brunowessel has a video on there site about proper stud installation. The tires that I got from tire rack where installed incorrectly and it is the installer that did a poor job. Tire rack is sending me a out a new set. That hopefully will be correct.
post #57 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:10 PM

Hi Guys ; I haven't heard alot about the Falken Wildpeaks AT3W in the LT275/70r18/10 which have seen some reviews on them which sounded good . I have a 2015 Chev Silverado 3500 Duramax I pull a 35ft 5th wheel toyhauler loaded down good most of the time on gravel roads and pavement ,but in snow once in awhile . I want to get some mileage out of them , my last set of tires were Yoko Geolander AT Go15 which had an 80 thousand ks warranty got 40,so not happy ,what are your thoughts. Take Care

2015 Chev Silverado LTZ Double Cab 3500hd Duramax
post #58 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:48 PM

Garage
I have a set of 285/70-17 Falken Wildpeak that I run in the winter. So far (second season) i am happy with them.

2018 Denali 2500HD L5P Derringer equipped
2018 Montana 3811MS Legacy 16400#2900pin
post #59 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 08:18 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Michelin Defender LTX M/S ... hands down for ice and snow ... excessive amount of siping for constant traction. Have the on my 3500HD and run thousands of miles in Wyoming on ice and snow packed highways (just last week. Beware they are extremely noise on dry roads ... the price you pay for all of that siping.
post #60 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEngineer View Post
Michelin Defender LTX M/S ... hands down for ice and snow ... excessive amount of siping for constant traction. Have the on my 3500HD and run thousands of miles in Wyoming on ice and snow packed highways (just last week. Beware they are extremely noise on dry roads ... the price you pay for all of that siping.
That is my summer tire, don't find them loud at all.

2018 Denali 2500HD L5P Derringer equipped
2018 Montana 3811MS Legacy 16400#2900pin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode