BFG A/T KO2 DT reviews - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Wheels & Tires Discuss what wheels & tires are right for you.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:21 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Is there a shop near you where you can have the wheels calibrated? You will probably have more luck returning a bad wheel than a out-of-balance tire with 200+ miles on it. In addition, this is probably a better place to start looking for an out-of-balance problem. I read pages of reviews before purchasing my last set of tires and this is a problem that dogs big wheels and tires industry-wide. I ended up purchasing Falken Wildpeaks A/T primarily because the most common complaint was the noise generated from the tire, which I could care less about, not tires being out-of-balance. Turns out they're not loud at all. Mine vibrate just a small amount but that's not until 85 or 90 mph so I'm not gonna worry about this. However, the shaking is a common complaint when purchasing bigger tires. I purchased the Falkens because of claims the tread pattern works well in snow and in the sand. I have to admit I've had no problems in either environment. But more to the point here, BFG has a great rep and it is unlikely you received 4 lemons. I'd make sure your wheels are true first then go after each individual tire. Could be you only have one bad apple. Best of luck to you finding the culprit.

LORETTA
2008 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD CCDRWLB 4WD
Sinister EGR Delete
CC & DPF are nowhere to be found
EFI Live - GDP Tune
FASS 95, CAT XL Filters
MBRP Oil Filter Conversion, CAT XL Filter
Sinister Fuel Filter Adapter, CAT XL Filter
Falken 285/70 Wildpeak A/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenestrator View Post
Same here. BFG AT KO2 DT, 275/70/18. For the whopping 15 miles I've put on them since yesterday, I like the ride. Smoother/softer than my worn-out stock Michelins, but then any new tire would have felt better than bald tires. Those Michelins from the dealer only lasted 27K, ludicrous.

Some before/after. pics. I really want to level the front, but not sure it's a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-130JSuperHerk View Post
Did you get the DT version for “high torque applications” and. A 50k warrantee?
How are the DT KO2's working out? I need to replace my OE Michelins before we head south at Xmas. They are toast with 43,000km on them. I tow for about 75% of those miles with a 15k# 5th wheel load behind and at full RAWR on my '17 3500 CCSB so I'm bumping up to the 275/70R18's too.

Edit: stopped at the tire shop and DT's aren't available here in Canada from what he said

2017 Chev 3500HD CC SB SRW
2011 Ford F350 CC LB DRW (traded)
2014 Jayco 361REQS 5th wheel

Last edited by PlayersZ28; 12-13-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 02:07 PM

I just had bf ko2 replaced after putting 17k on them. The tread was not lasting and probably had 3 k more miles to go before they went bald. I switched to nitto ridge grabber. Time will tell for how many miles I get. And I tow a 8k pound trailer every day for work, 7 days a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skydog View Post
I just bought a set of 285 65 20 BFG KO2s DT. Brand new Fuel Revolver wheels. Had them mounted, balanced, and a wheel alignment. I have now been to 3 different tire shops trying to get them to balance out. Last shop was Discount tire. They had the " Hunter Road Force Balance machine". The employees seemed very knowledgeable, (to my surprise) and eager to do a quality job. First thing, tested the wheels to see where they were starting at. All wheels were out of balance. They pulled all weights and started over. "Road Forced" them and matched high spot on tire with low spot on wheel. Rebalanced tires and put the least amount of weight on these tires yet. Second shop I went to had over a pound of weight on the wheel with hammer on, and stick on weights. I got away with five and a half, to seven ounces per wheel from Discount tire. I left Discount tire only to find the tires still shake the truck at about 45MPH on up. All three shops told me These BFG KO2s are notorious for these problems. I called Fuel Wheel, maybe they had an answer. They asked what tire I mounted. I told them BFGs. They asked KO2s? I said yes. There answer was the KO2s are your problem.
I have about 200 miles on them and hate them. This is my third set of KO2s on this truck. The others had no issues. I have been running BFGs sense the mid 80s, never had this problem.
I'm sure 4 wheel parts is going to say "well you mounted and used them. There is nothing we can do. They are used tires, we can't resell them".
Try balancing beads, specifically Dyna Beads! Because beads run in the tire's carcass opposed to wheel weights attached to the rim, beads are further from the center of rotating mass and are therefore much more efficient at balancing. Beads are also dynamic meaning if you pick up mud in the wheel, for example, the beads will compensate. Beads will also compensate for any imbalance in the rotors/hubs once the wheels are bolted on. Lastly the tires do not need to be re-balanced every 5000 miles to maintain optimum balance. One more advantage I like, is that I can install them at home through the valve stem without the need to visit a tire shop.

2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD LBZ, EC,SB, Allison 1000 6 speed, 265's on 16x8" Eagle Alloy wheels, Blocked EGR, PCV Rerouted, BD LH Exhaust Manifold, Diamond Eye Turbo Downpipe, MBRP 4" Front Cat Delete pipe, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust, Banks 3" Intercooler Tube, 50Gal Inbed Auxilary Tank

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeereMan View Post
Try balancing beads, specifically Dyna Beads! Because beads run in the tire's carcass opposed to wheel weights attached to the rim, beads are further from the center of rotating mass and are therefore much more efficient at balancing. Beads are also dynamic meaning if you pick up mud in the wheel, for example, the beads will compensate. Beads will also compensate for any imbalance in the rotors/hubs once the wheels are bolted on. Lastly the tires do not need to be re-balanced every 5000 miles to maintain optimum balance. One more advantage I like, is that I can install them at home through the valve stem without the need to visit a tire shop.
can you use them w/ some weights on the wheel?

2002 GMC 2500HD, ECSB, 4WD, LB7
new style gm exhaust manifold, banks big head wastegate, PPE boost valve, banks air intake,high idle switch in cruise control, stock but not for long
EFI live tuned by me now,dps5 switch,EGT probe and autometer boost sensor,SoCal 6spd conversion

2016 GMC Denali stock for now
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

These DTs are doing well for me. Tow well with a 15k trailer and do not appear to show any wear with about 8K on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bone stock Iridium Grey 2016 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab with Air Lift Ultimate Airbags and Wireless onboard compressor.
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 07:33 AM

Garage
I ran 265/70 16 KO2's for 35,000 miles over the last 3.5 years. Really didn't tow anything until this year when we bought a bumper pull toy hauler. Tires still had several thousand miles left but I just upgraded to H2 17" wheels and General Grabber ATX 265/70 17's on my '07 2500HD. I didn't know about the DT tires before today. I don't drive as much as a lot of you nor tow as often. By the time I need new tires again I'll look into the DT's and reports like these. The ATX's had better reviews than KO2's so giving them a shot.

In the mid-90's I had an '84 Suburban 3/4 ton and ran BFG AT's, loved them and they lasted over 50,000 miles though I didn't ever tow anything heavy. Been a fan since but felt even the KO2's are becoming old technology. Now they have the DT but apparently not the size I use, would have to move up. My truck is utilitarian, not in it for looks and don't want to lift it or run too big a tire and have to regear both diffs (it's 4x4).

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

07 LBZ Chevy 2500HD - CCSB - 4WD - 4" after cat - 265's - purchased 06/08/16
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:11 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-130JSuperHerk View Post
These DTs are doing well for me. Tow well with a 15k trailer and do not appear to show any wear with about 8K on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you notice any increase in road/tire noise?

Future 2020 AT4 HD
2015 Denali HD
86 M1008
86 M1009
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Did you notice any increase in road/tire noise?
I haven't

2002 GMC 2500HD, ECSB, 4WD, LB7
new style gm exhaust manifold, banks big head wastegate, PPE boost valve, banks air intake,high idle switch in cruise control, stock but not for long
EFI live tuned by me now,dps5 switch,EGT probe and autometer boost sensor,SoCal 6spd conversion

2016 GMC Denali stock for now
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:34 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc502 View Post
I haven't
Excellent! Awesome to hear!

Future 2020 AT4 HD
2015 Denali HD
86 M1008
86 M1009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode