2019 Denali TPMS Question - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Wheels & Tires Discuss what wheels & tires are right for you.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

2019 Denali TPMS Question

Can a dealer lower the tpms settings in the computer so I don't have to have 70psi when not towing? I had a 2015 Silverado LTZ and the dealer was able to lower the setting to 45 or 50 so the tpms light didn't come on. When I asked at delivery of my new truck the dealer said it can no longer be done. I call BS. Anyone know for sure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsGMC View Post
Can a dealer lower the tpms settings in the computer so I don't have to have 70psi when not towing? I had a 2015 Silverado LTZ and the dealer was able to lower the setting to 45 or 50 so the tpms light didn't come on. When I asked at delivery of my new truck the dealer said it can no longer be done. I call BS. Anyone know for sure?
GM has significantly locked down the dealer's ability to do much of anything these days.

I'm sure that the dealer would have loved to charge you for the time if he could.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

2017 2500HD GMC Denali CCSB
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Just curious if anyone else has had the dealer kick them to the curb. Or have they been able to do this in your 2017 or newer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:25 PM

I had read a thread somewhere a while back. Guy had bought a new truck but it was a lower trim model with steel wheels or something like that. The dealer he purchased from was sitting on 4 aluminum wheels/tires they had pulled off another truck they had sold. He worked a deal where they swapped the aluminum wheels and tires onto his truck before delivery but the aluminum wheels were bigger than the wheels that came on his truck. He wanted the dealer to re-calibrate his speedo for the wheel / tire swap. When the dealer asked GM for permission to do so, they were denied. Seems they can't just get into the ECMs anymore like they used to. Apparently GM has to issue some sort of 1-time password or something like that now.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 404,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:17 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

I had the TPMS lowered no problem on my '18. Cost was maybe 50 bucks if that. Not sure if that changed from '18-'19, but I doubt it. If your dealer says they can't do it, go try different dealers.

Casey
2016 Denali 3500HD - Starting from scratch.
Drop shackles. Tint.

2018 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
2015 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
2012 Silverado 2500HD - Sold

Last edited by pigpen23; 08-12-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:19 PM

The dealer originally told me they couldn’t add high idle on my 2018. But some one had posted the tsb and I printed it out and gave to them. They did have to call GM but they did it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsGMC View Post
It all depends on the dealer, but they have the ability to lower it. My local dealership questioned my reasoning for doing it and said they would do it for $150 when I told them it will not be used for towing, but street/ performance applications.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Off-road Only
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:21 AM

Garage
Many dealers will not do it.
Some will, It is a change in the BCM that can be done if the tech is willing.
I had my '18 done, and now my 2020 is also lowered.
I run 48-50psi rear when not loaded and 65 front.

They are instructed to not do it so as to protect themselves for liability reasons, because we are not smart enough to inflate tires when running heavy loads.

2020 Sierra AT4 3500 Duramax
2018 Denali 2500HD L5P Derringer equipped
2018 Montana 3811MS Legacy 16400#2900pin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode