Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

2014 LML 95k miles.

Some tuning stuff turned off but no hard part removal on engine or blockers.

I am suspecting head gasket issues, but unsure. I would like to take an 8 hour one way trip pulling with it but want to try to rule out HG…

Anyway, bought the truck last year at 91k miles. Had to get towed half way home due to emissions issues. Cleared that up.
Drove a 4 hour trip and had a low coolant light after this. Made it home not a problem after filling.

Replaced reservoir and cap, tightened lower rad hose (I believe it was leaking and not from weep hole on WP but that’s possible).

Video is after pulling a light trailer for 10ish miles last night, definitely was up to temp and was trying to drive it a little hard. This is this morning what upper hose and reservoir when removing cap looked like.

Any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD
136 Posts
… looks like it to me. The only thing is the upper rad hose was soft. When my head gasket was bad the upper rad hose was hard AF. Coolant spilled out of the overflow and would bubble like that when I took the cap off. Have you don’t the simple things like thermostats, water pump etc just to see before head gasket?

· Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

2014 LML 95k miles.

Some tuning stuff turned off but no hard part removal on engine or blockers.

I am suspecting head gasket issues, but unsure. I would like to take an 8 hour one way trip pulling with it but want to try to rule out HG…

Anyway, bought the truck last year at 91k miles. Had to get towed half way home due to emissions issues. Cleared that up.
Drove a 4 hour trip and had a low coolant light after this. Made it home not a problem after filling.

Replaced reservoir and cap, tightened lower rad hose (I believe it was leaking and not from weep hole on WP but that’s possible).

Video is after pulling a light trailer for 10ish miles last night, definitely was up to temp and was trying to drive it a little hard. This is this morning what upper hose and reservoir when removing cap looked like.

Any help would be appreciated.

Did you figure out the cause? Assuming HG my truck is doing the same thing. Not pushing any coolant out but a lot of pressure in degas bottle

· Registered
137 Posts
How warm was it overnight and how long was it turned off? If it still had some residual heat in the engine it will do that in the tank.

I dont think hg's. Keep driving it and watch coolant level. The tennis ball upper rad hose is dead giveaway and u dont have that.

· Registered
8 Posts
How warm was it overnight and how long was it turned off? If it still had some residual heat in the engine it will do that in the tank.

I dont think hg's. Keep driving it and watch coolant level. The tennis ball upper rad hose is dead giveaway and u dont have that.
While truck is at running temp hose is rock hard. But that seems normal hence the cap says system will have 20psi in it. If I let it sit 12 hours temps around 70 hose is soft but it has a little resistance left in it. Coolant will be just a smidge under the min line that’s what is setting the low coolant light off I assume. As soon as I open resivoir coolant rises back up to the top where is should be. If it really is HG at only 88k miles I’m burning it down and going to a cummins lol

· Registered
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD
136 Posts
While truck is at running temp hose is rock hard. But that seems normal hence the cap says system will have 20psi in it. If I let it sit 12 hours temps around 70 hose is soft but it has a little resistance left in it. Coolant will be just a smidge under the min line that’s what is setting the low coolant light off I assume. As soon as I open resivoir coolant rises back up to the top where is should be. If it really is HG at only 88k miles I’m burning it down and going to a cummins lol
Mine did the exact same thing…
Bicycle part Silver Material property Auto part Nickel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.