Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well unfortunately I have the known “chuggling” issue on my 2019 L5P Duramax. The issue has occurred half a dozen times and the truck only has 1,800 miles on it. It always happens in 3rd or 4th gear under light acceleration. It feels like the engine loses fuel for a second causing deceleration, then gets fuel for a second and accelerates, the loses fuel again and repeats this half a dozen times before it goes back to normal slow acceleration. For all I know it could be transmission related vs motor related. No dash indicator lights come on when this occurs. Local Chevy dealer is no help. Dealer service personnel told me if no dash light indicator lights come, no code is thrown, and there is no service recall / bulletin on file (they checked and no 2019 service bulletins) ... then I should call the GM Customer Service 1-800 number and log a complaint. Did this today, they logged the complaint, gave me a case number, and told me a senior advisor would contact me in 2 to 3 business days. Should be interesting to see what they say. Will update this post after they contact me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having this exact same issue with my 2019 GMC Denali 2500HD. Please let me know what you find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks “critter218”. Saw all those views of my post and was starting to think I was the only owner with this issue on a 2019. But definitely not glad to see you are also experiencing this issue.

As an update ... received my “feel good” call back from GM customer support a little over a week ago (been working out of town so was in able to respond to this thread until now). GM Customer Support told me that they have now contacted my same local dealership’s service department manager where I had originally logged my first complaint, updated them, and the next time I am in there for service, I should follow up with them on this concern ... classic “punt the ball” routine. Before they let me go I requested that they forward my case / complaint to the GM engineering technical support team and reach back out to me with their response. Not holding my breath that they will call me back anytime soon. Truthfully, this “Chuggle” issue does not happen very often, happens only under very specific throttle position (slow acceleration) / gear selection (3rd), specific speeds (35 to 40 mph), when it happens it is manageable by letting off or increasing the throttle foot pedal, and it is not dangerous to my safety (atleast so far).

I have been paying the local Chevy dealer to install my aftermarket parts to avoid any warranty fix arguments ... and I just so happen to have been there since the last update of this thread. The previous visit service guy recognized me and told me that I was not the only one having this issue ... and they actually experienced a couple trucks being purchased back by GM concerning this same issue ... since they did not have a fix at that time. I was also told GM relayed to the service department that they forsee a fix being released yet this year (2018). So I will let you know if I hear anything further as promised by the end of the year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I now own 5 of these trucks (all 2018 l5p) and I've seen this issue with every one of them. I got a call from my dealer last week and they now have an update available that should take care of it. It has been a very annoying problem.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
sub

·
Registered
89 Posts
I now own 5 of these trucks (all 2018 l5p) and I've seen this issue with every one of them. I got a call from my dealer last week and they now have an update available that should take care of it. It has been a very annoying problem.

I have had this issue since my test drive and at first attributed it to the learning nature of the transmission and TCU. Now at over 18k miles, it still occurs occasionally.

Can you please share the details of the service visit and the update your service department completed? Has it resolved your issue?

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I will be calling my dealer tomorrow to see if the update is available. Let’s hope they don’t fix one problem and start another. Always a risk with updates ...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks like I will be calling my dealer tomorrow to see if the update is available. Let’s hope they don’t fix one problem and start another. Always a risk with updates ...

Please keep us posted. I haven't had time yet to get my truck to the dealer for the update....

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please keep us posted. I haven't had time yet to get my truck to the dealer for the update....
Was simply an electronic update for the EGR they installed today ... only took about 30 minutes from when I gave them the keys.

Service manager said they still do not have an update from GM regarding the transmission "chuggling / chugging" issue. - Riverton Chevrolet - Riverton, UT

He also stated they really wish GM would hurry up because their dealership probably has over a hundred upset customers waiting for this fix ... they have even experienced a few buy-backs where customers pushed the issue (not sure if they or GM did the buy-back).

Funny part is the service manager also stated the issue does not occur if you use tow / haul mode. (may not be true and just a way to console customer ... who knows)

I replied that I personally will not put my truck in tow haul mode while driving around town empty due to the abrupt upshifts and downshifts.

The sad part is the relationship damage this is doing to customers who will probably not purchase another truck from GM.

For me it is not to that point. Just personally annoyed that GM does not step up to the plate with an expedited fix ... because this not the first time for this problem if you look back a few years at TSB's.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Wow. Crazy. Hopefully they got it. This is the first I've heard of this issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any updates on this? My 2019 that I bought a month ago has been in the shop three times for this issue! Case has been reported to chevy. I have a video of this but have no clue how to post it on here.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Man these L5P’s seem to be somewhat trouble prone compared to past Dmax engines. Mine has been good so far but there seems to be a lot of issues online. The 1 guy said he has (5) 2018’s in their fleet and all do this. That’s insane that GM can’t fix this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't thank you enough for posting this. I purchased my 2019 Chev Silverado Duramax late last fall. I have, like you been having this same problem since taking delivery (I didn't experience the issue during my test drive like one of the other posters). Initially, I experienced what I call a stall while accelerating onto the freeway or highway. It happened each time right around 50 mph and lasted only a second or two but was still nerve rattling when it happened. I also experienced the chugging you describe, first around 28 - 30 mph while going through my small town. Lately, it has also been happening at the same speeds you experience. Like you, I have had it to my dealer several times, though the first time or two I don't think they noted it on the service order as I had it there for other issues as well. The last time I took it in I told them to keep it till they figured it out. The put 500 miles on my truck and told me they never experienced the problem however. As mentioned by other posters, it doesn't happen every day and sometimes may not happen in a week (particularly if you are not driving it in the manner that it normally occurs). My wife finally hit her boiling point and called the sales person back and gave him a stiff talking to about how a $70,000 truck should not have these kind of issues. Since that call, the service mgr has called a couple of times and the last time, just yesterday, he told me that the GM field rep had been by and said that officially, GM is not acknowledging the issue as important. He did however, leave him with a bulletin on 2018 a transmission issue that he thinks might be related. He promised to bring a copy of the bulletin by in the next few days. Again, I can't thank you (all) enough for helping me to stop feeling like I am the only one in the world with this and maybe it is somehow just me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Like you, I have had it to my dealer several times, though the first time or two I don't think they noted it on the service order as I had it there for other issues as well.
Make sure you get it documented from now on and then perhaps let them know you will be pursuing the lemon law. That might make them have a sense of urgency.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Changed out my fuel filter a few days ago at only 5,000 miles as a precaution and have not had the “chugging” issue occur since the filter change.

Like MBen said, sometimes it doesn’t happen for a week, so I am definitely “not out of the woods” yet.

Will let ya’ll know in the next few weeks if it occurs again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Changed out my fuel filter a few days ago at only 5,000 miles as a precaution and have not had the “chugging” issue occur since the filter change.

Like MBen said, sometimes it doesn’t happen for a week, so I am definitely “not out of the woods” yet.

Will let ya’ll know in the next few weeks if it occurs again.
I hope our results are different, but mine has done it since I changed my fuel filter which was about 6k miles ago.

I'm approaching 22k miles now, and the issue is much less frequent than it used to be. At this point, I want it fixed but the infrequency of it occurring has let me just live with it. As much as I want to force the issue onto a dealer for resolution, i simply can't afford the time for something that just doesn't happen regularly. Hopefully they really are working on the issue in the background and figure it out for all the affected owners. I guess it would be different if it was something I could easily reproduce and force to happen.

And, FWIW, I have also had it occur in Tow/Haul mode. I live in Colorado at 7500' elevation. The majority of my driving is between 5500'-8000' with the occasional mountain pass exceeding 10k'. I'm starting to wonder if this issue is environmentally related - I don't recall having the stumble occur when we drove (with enclosed trailer) to Green Bay, WI - which is obviously at a much lower elevation.

Just brainstorming here....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually, I have gone for a couple of weeks or so without experiencing the chugging and then I will have it happen 2 or more times in a single week. It sure is nerve-racking. I was glad to read the post that one person has also experienced it in tow/haul mode (my dealer asked me to run it in tow/haul for a while but after one afternoon of running errands, the birds with that idea).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts