Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im truck hunting. first off ill start by saying hi to all here, and i signed up here to learn about the dmaxs. im a cummins guy-had 3 dodges so far, last one was a 95 12v cummins that rocked :gearjamin lol but since its gone and im having trouble finding another cummins i started looking at dmaxs. im not a brand loyal type of guy so dn bash me for that lol i need something that has 4 doors for the family and will be my hotrod toy. no towing pulling or drag racing etc. just a blast to drive
so the questions arise about the 01 trucks cause i found one close for cheap. but it needs all 8 new injectors the guy said. its an added cost but i can do all labor myself and i should still b under 10 grand. now i heard that some early dmaxs didnt have the allison tranny. is this true?? if not what did they have and is it worth buying a non allison tranny? injectors on any of the new common rail trucks seems to go crap, im assuming i can protect the new ones with a good filtration system? and last of all the truck has 320000km on the original motor (tranny has been upgraded and rebuilt) i know 04-05s had headgasket issues etc. any reason to b scared of a dmax with that many kms? basically is the truck worth any attention of mine? o and it has efi live too supposedly but it doesnt work :rolleyes: did they even have efi for trucks of that year?
sorry for the long post but thanks for the replies

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
It has an Allison 5 Speed and yes EFI is available for it. It shouldn't have HG problems unless it has been tortured. If you can do the injectors and its in good shape I say it sounds like a good deal. Throw an air dog on there as soon as you can.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya air dog was on the list for either truck I get :cool: I heard these injectors r some kinda internal injectors that r hard to get at to change...any truth to that? Iv done injector removal and install in my other truck, valve springs swap and lash adjustment, turbo removal and mods injection pump internal mods etc but that was on the Cummins. I don't think these injectors will be a problem no? If Ihhafta pay a dealer to do it then its a no go, not worth it right there. The guys said it was pushing white smoke. Is this the characteristics of injector issuse or could it b something else? Guy says he's still driving it. Will this cause greater unseen damage inside? :help thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Idk truck looks clean from the outside in pics. I'm gonna go look at it tomorrow n just need an idea ofwhat to look for? Why would the oil b overfilled? Or u talking about tranny oil? Guy says he bought it with a blown tranny, fixed that n drove it for like 30000km and the injectors went. Now he's dumping it.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
If the injectors go in some cases it will fill the motor up with fuel and yes the injectors are doable on your own its not as bad as it sounds but if you do you mite want to do some upgrades while your in there like injector cups and you will injoy the ride a lot better than the dodge

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just wondering now if the bad injectors started melting a piston like they so famously like to in the cr Cummins :poke[1]: that wouldn't b cool to find out a month down the road.

Well the whole ride thing I won't start here :rofl lol lets just say iv driven my share of ifs dmaxs and sfa dodges and at the end of the day ill take the sfa over ifs. The whole buick style ride characteristics in a 7500lb truck doesn't appeal me at all. But maybe I'm an oddball :cookoo[1]: lol

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yea if its pushing white smoke that's coolant coming up past the injector cups I believe. I have been in mine a few times because of a local store selling ba injectors that looked clean. There is a DIY from dura Titus that was great.
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/44192-how-change-lb7-injectors-pictures.html
When I changed mine I swapped out the old stripped out Allen heads for I think a 11 mm bolt witch will save me next time I go in.
Get a good set from industrial injection or merchant automotive or even ask for a quote from vendors. Also check the transfer case for fluid there is a pump rub that you can search for it on here.
Other then that there a blast I love the lb7 rumble compared the lly.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I had a dodge and that was one of the things I hated about it. That's just me lol you should be able to tell if it melted something in the way it runs. they used mahle pistions in that year I do believe correct me if I'm. Wrong

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O wow that looks like quite the job for just an injector swap! I did my Cummins out and in in two hours total....in my driveway. But sure is a nice writeup. ...might need it lol but at least I know I can do something like that myself. Actually Cummins and dmax used a lotta the same parts in the common rails so I'm somewhat familiar with it. Cummins used mahle pistons too I believe. ....

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have been in and out of 1 side in a half a day with my little brother helping hand me wrenches and working on top bolts while I worked on the bottom under the fender. It helps a lot and almost anyone can help, lol I had my girlfriend help too on time lol. And there are 3 fuel lines that are prob gonna need to be replaced that are rubber going into filter and ficm there prob dryrotted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well now at least I got an idea of what to expect...would it b worth it doing like a 90hp injector upgrade while I'm in there? Just an idea I had causr I only wanna b in there once lol ill look at it tomorrow and if I got any more questions or end up getting it ill b back. Thanks for all the help btw

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yea, that's after 2 times in both sides lol. First time set aside the better part of a weekend lol. And as far as upgrading I would deff but not 90... You need Trans, fuel, air and EFI live to support all of those. If I did it again I would prob do 40% over and set it up for around 450hp with tunning lift pump and injectors

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I looked at and drove the truck today. Checks out pretty clean and solid, motor runs good and tranny shifts firm. Has a stage 2 shift kit and billet tq converter. After the drive the exhaust would pour white smoke at idle. Need to know if injectors will fix this or r there gonna b lotsa nickel and dime things accociated with the injectors. Read something about some kinda cups? :cookoo[1]: do these need replacing or rebuilding as well and what's the cost accociated with that? Can a guy fix the cups so they don't leak coolant and not do the injectors? Also would a bad headgasket cause white smoke at idle? Should I do those while I'm there?
On a side note I read a duramax spec website that states 01s had 235hp/500tq. Everyone else says 300/520. Which is it?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
you dont have to do anything to your injector cups if you dont mind the design. I would do the screw in type just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
sometime not all of the time those injector cups come out with the injector so if they do just put the screw in type and you wont have to worry about it. I think they have them on alligator performance web site and ppe but I had my injectors changed at 200,000 miles and I didnt have a problem with them. Im not very good at explaining things SORRY.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No that's fine any info is good I'm learning lol. To put in the screw type cups do u hafta tap anything?what's involved? And could this also b a headgasket issue?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
before you buy the truck see if he will have the oil tested. that will tell you alot thats how I found the problem with my injectors. like I said I never had a problem with the cups in my truck so I didnt put the injector cups in. some people have them welded in also. there is a bunch of options out there. I have no idea how there installed. white smoke is usually unburnt fuel if the head gasket was bad it would blow blue smoke. you could always smell the oil.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts