Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Duramax runs well, but under acceleration puffs clouds of black smoke. It has not done this until recently. I don't usually give i tmuch throttle, but I saw that when I did, it puffed a big black cloud. Now the power is fine even towing. I haven't lost any real fuel mileage so oI wonder if I have an injector problem or ?? I have had all 8 injectors replaced under warranty a few years back. I also hav no mods to the truck other than a K and N filter. It is clean. Any ideas? Thanks, JIm:cool

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I did. It has 182,000 miles. 6 speed 4wd crewcab shortbed. I do tow a racecar trailer and horse trailer at times, but nothing extreme in weight. I recently had a glowplug controller go bad, but I am not sure if it was smoking rigt after. Nothing looks amiss under the hood. I remeber when my injectors went bad, the pipe was wet and the crankcase filled with diesel fuel. I have no signs of this now.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Has your oil level dropped? Does the smoke have a blueish tint to it? If it does it may be your turbo.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would run some "stanadyne" fuel treatment first. Under hard accel if u can do a 9 count and the soke is gone, that is usually normal(per GM). Try the additive first...u might have some stuff causing the inj. to hang open. Get rid of K & N filter..oil in filter will scew MAF readings..causing black smoke.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 06 does this also. I drive it with a real easy foot most of the time and in town driving. I step on it getting on the freeway and I get the smoke. The next time I get back on the freeway to come home it doesn't smoke. I think driving it realy easy does not get all the soot out and you need to blow it out every once in a while. Just my oppinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i agree.

if i baby the truck around, the first time i get on the freeway i blow smoke like a train. It calms down after that first wot and i have to baby it for awhile before it will smoke again.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
my truck is the same way. the 1st time it smokes then after that no smoke

·
Registered
7 Posts
I
My Duramax runs well, but under acceleration puffs clouds of black smoke. It has not done this until recently. I don't usually give i tmuch throttle, but I saw that when I did, it puffed a big black cloud. Now the power is fine even towing. I haven't lost any real fuel mileage so oI wonder if I have an injector problem or ?? I have had all 8 injectors replaced under warranty a few years back. I also hav no mods to the truck other than a K and N filter. It is clean. Any ideas? Thanks, JIm:cool
I KNOW EXACTLY WHATS WRONG ...your leaking oil into your turbo. It will run forever like that and it will pass inspection but that is the problem.

Now you get to tell people a girl told you how to fix it...cause I'm female.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts