Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what to do next. I have a afe stage2 intake and a stock straight piped exhaust. I would like to install boost and pyro. gauges just wondering if i should install a BD Full Bore exhaust manifold right away? or any other suggestions would help what to do next.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The BD manifolds are garbage! Don't waste your money. I suggest getting a true 4 or 5" exhaust. It will lower your EGT's some more and sound wicked. I straight piped my stock exhaust at first but i am glad I got the MBRP straight pipe! If you are hell-bent on something else i would say get a programmer like the Quadzilla, PPE, or edge EVO. If you currently have a programmer you should invest in gauges. That is something i still do not have and i always wish i had them. Get those before you get moving to fast or else their is going to be something you want more than the gauges! I would also reccomend that you get the FPRV, fuel pressure relief valve, shim kit. Also be sure to keep you tuner set below 90 hp or else you will wind up with a slipping tranny that you will have to rebuild!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I would go with a MBRP exhaust and the intake horn mod and the PPE boost valve. The later two are cheap and good mods. Some sort of programmer such as PPE or EFI and Definitely gauges. I have an 01 if you have any questions just pm me

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Gauges and a programmer should be where you put your money next. The best bang for the buck would be the new Edge Evo tuners for the LB7. It gets you gauges and a tuner for a very good price.

Or if you're looking for a different tuner, the Quadzilla stealth 2 is a great tuner, and so is the PPE standard. Both would suit you well, and I can put together a package deal with some gauges as well if you'd like :)

Let me know if I can help!

-Jesse

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Go with RDL Headers if you are gonna mess with your manifolds!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Gauges and a programmer should be where you put your money next. The best bang for the buck would be the new Edge Evo tuners for the LB7. It gets you gauges and a tuner for a very good price.

Or if you're looking for a different tuner, the Quadzilla stealth 2 is a great tuner, and so is the PPE standard. Both would suit you well, and I can put together a package deal with some gauges as well if you'd like :)

Let me know if I can help!

-Jesse
Now that's a great idea! EVO gets my vote. Unless you want EFI. I have been hearing nothing but great things about the new EVO that is out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gr8shot i was just lookin at your web site and was just wondering what ppe tuner is the standard?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont want to sound dumb but what is a fuel pressure relief valve. this is my first diesel

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would do resonator delete and turbo mouthpiece mod they are both basically free and will make some difference. Next would be programmer and gauges then you can worry about the rest as money allows.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what exactly is a resonator delete and turbo mouthpiece mod? what do i have to do to perform these mods? i am new to this so any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Look in the DIY threads or use the search button and you will find it.

Resonator delete or plug or louder whistle will work in search

Intake horn mod or LB7 turbo mouthpiece will work in search

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I dont want to sound dumb but what is a fuel pressure relief valve. this is my first diesel
It is a shim kit that goes in your fuel system that keep the relief valve from opening to much and allowing you to loose fuel rail pressure. So if you add the shim kit it will hold the FPRV mostly closed which allows for more fuel to reach the rail in turn making sure that you don't loose pressure. If you loose fuel rail pressure while using a tuner then you are going to limp the fuel system and you can only run 2300 rpms!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to for sure get the exhaust on there as soon as possible. When I put the new intake on I removed the resonator. The turbo is a lot louder now. I will post updates as I add more mods on.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Welcome to df.

There is a guy from West Bend that comes up to the manitowoc area and pulls his duramax once or twice a year. dont remember his name though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.