Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 02 duramax that will turn over but wont ever try to start. Not sure on history, guy I got it from on a trade is a lying idiot. Charge pipe has been cut out not sure if that's relevant but figured it was worth mentioning. I've pumped the primer until it gets hard to press then turn key and tried pumping while someone else turns key, no codes besides glowplug heater circuit p0380

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
OK, I’m sure we can rule out loss of spark :).

Without your signature line or other 411 (please add :)), no way of knowing where you live, but unless it’s the Great White North and temps are already super low, your Duramax should fire up into the low 50’s (and maybe lower) without glow plugs. Ain’t gonna be happy and may stumble a bit, but should come alive. Watch your voltmeter, and “key on”, after cranking, the needle should take a dive as the heavy glow plug load burdens the batteries. In a running truck (obviously not yours) voltage will stay low for a bit then rise as GP’s cycle off.

Obviously that P0380 needs attention, but my guess is something is preventing rail pressure from rising high enough to awaken the Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM), and until that happens, no joy.

Hard primer usually means good fuel supply to the CP3 (as you know, the combined high pressure injector pump and vacuum for fuel from the tank) but changing out the fuel filter is always a good suggestion for establishing a baseline.

A TECH2 or equivalent will provide mucho 411 and alternatively, an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter and something like Torque (for Android or iOS and inexpensive as a download app) will do the job.

Also, what’s a “charge pipe” and when did this beast last run?

Even though you didn’t get an immediate reply (and you’re stuck with me for now) stay around and the accumulated wisdom and experience found here will get you on the right path.

Oh, and at the risk of insulting your intelligence, do not be tempted to use starting fluid or similar! Combustion chamber explosions during a rising piston, can be catastrophic.

Best

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the reply, I'm in north Texas so cold is not an issue here currently. I may not have used the right term but I was referring to the pipe from the intercooler to the intake. I have an elm27 bluetooth code reader using the in-car doc app, may try torque to see if it will work with it.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Missing intercooler pipe

I appreciate the reply, I'm in north Texas so cold is not an issue here currently. I may not have used the right term but I was referring to the pipe from the intercooler to the intake. I have an elm27 bluetooth code reader using the in-car doc app, may try torque to see if it will work with it.
Sounds like the first step would be to get a replacement pipe.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Sounds like the first step would be to get a replacement pipe.
Agreed I dont think it will run that way either the MAF sensor is the first thing in the intake after the filter if something huge is missing beyond that like a main piece of pipe I dont think it will run .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll see if I can find one then, I'm new to duramax, I was hoping it would at least sputter without it but really didn't know. I tried disconnecting the maf to see if it would go into limp mode like an ls. Seems like there should be a code for that.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
If you could snap a photo of the engine bay we can see if anything else is missing or potentially "not right".

·
Registered
407 Posts
The piece of pipe your missing could be the problem, but I’ve never tried to start one without it there, a leak on a boot is one thing but missing the whole pipe? Not to sure
But the pictures looks like you have a ton of either rust one everything or just dirt, I’d start with buying the pipe which is pretty cheap
If it still don’t start an you have time start cleaning an check for any broken/lose wires or corrosion on stuff that you know shouldn’t be there

And looking at the pictures again I don’t see any reason to chop that pipe off, it’s a factory blue boot an most, maybe all (I haven’t had experience with every brand) but new pipes come with new boots and clamps for the most part, so someone chopped off a piece that really didn’t need to be missing really

1 - 10 of 10 Posts