Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone hear can help. I'm having an issue with my 2003 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. It's making a loud knocking noise, as if it's a rod knock but sounds like its coming more from the top of the engine, I check the oil and it was good. I started reading up on it and a lot of people said it could be an injector knock. That what I was thinking it possibly could be but want to be able to test to see if it is. I'm looking to buy a scanner that can help me diagnosis the issue. I just have a basic scanner right now. I was looking to buy a Tech2clone or a vxdiag vcx nano gm. I'm not sure if anyone here has bought one of these before. The test that I'm looking to do on the scanner is be able to shut off individual injectors to check if one is bad (Like a dealership scanner can do), and check for balance rates in the injectors and pressures. Does anyone know if the tech2clones or the vxdiag vcx nano gm work on the 2003 Duramax and have the ability to do all test and features of the dealership scanners? Any help or information about if anyone has one or has done this before would help a lot. Thanks

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
From the research I did when I was interested in the knock off TechII it seems that they arent built well and crap the bed or give shady info .

As for your knock it very well could be injector knock . If you search around you will find previous threads on here to help you determine what the source of the sound is . I would think a balance rate check would give some insight and then a paper towel test of the oil and whether or not the oil level is increasing could be a good indicator and place to start . In this situation google is your friend , Good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Through my dad's work, I have occasional access to a Snap-On PRO-LINK Ultra and it will tell you whatever you please. This is a high dollar unit though.
The more you want a scanner to do, the more $$$ needs to get shelled out.
Personally, I would start looking around locally for someone who would let you borrow a scanner for a day/every once in a while.

Injector knock/fuel knock is likely in your case, I had a similar situation and it was my injectors.

Ely

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,547 Posts
I know of several people that have bought and used the 'knock off' Chinese Tech2 units with good results. Good enough results that I will be buying one before long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts