Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a duramax for some time now. Finally found one i like for a good price. 03 chevy duramax. 215000 on the odometer but he claims the motor only has 120000 with brand new injectors. Went to test drive it yesterday. Fired right up ran perfect idled for about 10 minutes. I jumped in it an took off, about half a mile down the road it just shut down. I looked at the dash an it flashed across "batteries not charging". There wasn't any dash lights on when i got in it. Pulled it over put it in park an turned the key. Fired right back up. Took off with out any problems. Guy told me it had happened once to him an he cleaned all connections an hadn't had it happen again. Raises a huge red flag for me. don't wanna spend 10k on a lemon. Just wondering if anyone knows if the altenator or batteries would cause the truck to just shut off going down the road? Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm thinking possibly a faulty ignition switch.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't think a bad ignition switch would throw a code since it would be just like shutting it off when parking

·
Registered
291 Posts
Neither alt or battery would do that. There's a gremlin somewhere. Could be anything from ignition Switch to a chafed wire somewhere. Hell I got a 03 lb7 that's rock solid I'd sell for 11000 that doesn't shut off on its own. Lol

·
Registered
291 Posts
200k. EFI live. 4in exhaust. 3500 rear springs. New injectors from LDS a month ago

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
That's a good deal man :thumb

·
Registered
291 Posts
Short boxes are useless.....had em...done with them! People that complain about parking a long box don't know how to drive.....lol

Reactions: jc8825

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been looking for a duramax for some time now. Finally found one i like for a good price. 03 chevy duramax. 215000 on the odometer but he claims the motor only has 120000 with brand new injectors. Went to test drive it yesterday. Fired right up ran perfect idled for about 10 minutes. I jumped in it an took off, about half a mile down the road it just shut down. I looked at the dash an it flashed across "batteries not charging". There wasn't any dash lights on when i got in it. Pulled it over put it in park an turned the key. Fired right back up. Took off with out any problems. Guy told me it had happened once to him an he cleaned all connections an hadn't had it happen again. Raises a huge red flag for me. don't wanna spend 10k on a lemon. Just wondering if anyone knows if the altenator or batteries would cause the truck to just shut off going down the road? Thanks
I am having that issue did you figure out what it was?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am having that issue did you figure out what it was?
First thing I would check is the computer grounds that are on the outside of the frame under the cabfootwell. There was a TSB on it as the undercoating needs cleaning off. Also the ground under the drivers side battery tray, this one is just one wire. My 04 had all kinds of wierd stuff going on till I did mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.