Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Get rid of the synthetic power steering fluid. Regular Dino power steering fluid is all you need. Last fluid replacement I did to mine I used just the inexpensive Mag 1 fluid from RAP. Seems to be working just fine.

I don’t recall any GMT800 series Duramax truck coming with a factory installed power steering cooler but those days in the dealer were long ago. Many add a cooler to their trucks and as I complete the rest of my steering system rebuild, I will add one to my truck as well.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Chevy Tech, did you try synthetics first, then replace them, or did you just stay with regular PSF? I'm ready to do just that, as feel that is where the problem is, just can't determine the best fluid to replace it with. Have been trying to get an OEM part number for the original fluid.
I’m not sure what you mean by “replace them”??

I’ve never used synthetic power steering fluid in a vehicle. I’ve heard of people using it when trying to get rid of weird power steering system noises but I’ve always used regular power steering fluid or the GM Cold Climate power steering fluid for vehicles run in really cold climates. It is just a slightly thinner viscosity fluid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts