Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Which brand of pump did you install? Is it possible you have a restriction in one of the new lines?

I recently had new lines and new Napa pump installed and I had a loud hum while turning along with a slight shudder (fluid cavitation type) in the brakes. Thinking I got a bad pump, I exchanged it for another new Napa pump and have the same noise and same shudder. I’m starting to suspect the new Napa pumps for these trucks just aren’t up to standard. Or possibly that the mechanic who done the work the first time put a little too much bend in one of the lines.

·
Registered
50 Posts
longball, I bought an OEM AC Delco from Rock Auto Parts. It's branded AC Delco. I also purchased OEM lines from RAP. Only change from line installation was to Royal Purple. I went with that because of recommendations on these pages. There are no lines to bend to the best of my knowledge. All of my lines came with the bends already made, and fit perfectly. I even have a new OEM return line from the hydro boost back to the pump that has the curves molded into it. I'm going to retro-fit an 8.1 GM 2500 HD Power steering system cooler to fit, (per recommendations on these pages), since the OEM for the Duramax has been discontinued according to my searches. I was able to find one on Amazon using part number 15293847. I like the idea of staying OEM as I am not interested in sitting on the side of the road with a 34 foot fifth wheel. I would like to know if anyone here has the OEM part number for the AC Delco power steering fluid used in the trucks with a hydro boost. I can't determine if there is a specific fluid recommended by GM for that system because of higher heat because of the brake booster.
I also bought the pre bent lines. Looking at a buddy’s truck though, his lines don’t look like mine. This line specifically. His original, factory line takes about a 30° angle straight to the pump without any of this mess. It appears as though this line flattens out in the middle of the forward most bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts