Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, my transmission start slipping in 5th gear. Took it in and the transmission shop and was told me my c2 clutch was bad and bad 4th and 5th gears. Bought a new suncoast transmission and still have the same slip in 5th after driving for 15-20 mins. Found out a rat had chewed a handful of wires under my fuse box. My truck has been at a one man diesel shop for 3 months and the he "hasn't had the time to look at it". I thinking about picking the truck back up and giving it a shot on my own. Where would yall start?? How would I diagnose the tcm or ecm??

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
These are some of the wires that where chewed up. I'm not sure if these shorted something in the tcm or ecm
those wires look undamaged besides the insulation, i would just wrap them up in electrical tape (super 33 would be my choice on tape) If the conductor is damaged, cut the wire, solder them back together and tape over. If they are broken, youll need to solder them as well, but make sure your connecting the correct wire to the correct wire if there are multiples of the same color combination. That would be the only time this repair would get hard, if none of the wires are cut, this should take all of 20 minutes and i would highly recommend picking your truck up and never returning.

You would be able to tell if there is module damage until after the repairs are made so i would start by fixing the wiring. If the truck was driving and shifting i bet its probably not as bad as it looks. I would disconnect both - battery cables before making your repairs though to prevent any accidental grounding while working under the dash.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes sir, I was more afraid that 2 or more bare wires touched a few times while running and has shorted somthing out. My batteries are about 2.5 years old and now are draining pretty fast...

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I was going to say thats not too old for a battery, then i saw that you lived on the surface of the sun. Heat kills batteries, cold lowers there cranking power, but does not damage them like heat does. 3 years is a good life for a battery in texas, especially one that does as much work as ours do.

As for the wires, odds are good nothing is damaged based on the fact that everything is still more or less working. tape everything back up and see how it goes. Wont know where to start with any other problems until you get that part of the issue sorted. Modern vehicle computers are fairly well hardened against shorts and other electrical issues, id bet the TCM is ok, especially since those wires appear to be under the dash. The only time you are basically sure to kill a module is if you ground a high current device through its chassis, that ends badly, shorting a couple wires together, while not a good thing, is not a guaranteed death sentence for the module.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.