Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I had my mechanic install an RC 3-inch lift a few months back. I was wondering why the ride quality was so poor. I decided to take a look and saw that the upper control arm was resting on the bump stop! I called RC 4 times to ask what I should do or what is the issue. I was told all different things, lower torsion keys to 27in another guy told me 28 (before it was at 27.5) so I lowered it but it got no better. I called again they said to cut it off (even though its a no cutting or drilling kit) and finally, I was told to get longer upper control arms but then he contradicted himself and said there aren't any longer upper control arms than the ones I have on it which are from the kit. If anyone has any ideas or info for me id appreciate it.
Ill add an image soon

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi, I had my mechanic install an RC 3-inch lift a few months back. I was wondering why the ride quality was so poor. I decided to take a look and saw that the upper control arm was resting on the bump stop! I called RC 4 times to ask what I should do or what is the issue. I was told all different things, lower torsion keys to 27in another guy told me 28 (before it was at 27.5) so I lowered it but it got no better. I called again they said to cut it off (even though its a no cutting or drilling kit) and finally, I was told to get longer upper control arms but then he contradicted himself and said there aren't any longer upper control arms than the ones I have on it which are from the kit. If anyone has any ideas or info for me id appreciate it.
Ill add an image soon
There is no such thing as a 3" lift kit for that truck. It is a 3" leveling kit. When you crank the front end that high, they ride like crap no matter what. Really the only way to sit around that height and have good ride quality is to get a 4-6" lift and run it at the lowest setting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no such thing as a 3" lift kit for that truck. It is a 3" leveling kit. When you crank the front end that high, they ride like crap no matter what. Really the only way to sit around that height and have good ride quality is to get a 4-6" lift and run it at the lowest setting.
heres the lift i got

Attachments

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
heres the lift i got
"lift" might be a stretch. Thats a spacer block and a leveling kit combined into one. as mentioned above, if you want it to ride well at that height the solution is to get a 4-6" lift, put a shorter block in the back, and lower the front once lifted. You'll get better CV angles as well with the dropped diff and the suspension wont be as harsh since the keys aren't cranked all the way up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"lift" might be a stretch. Thats a spacer block and a leveling kit combined into one. as mentioned above, if you want it to ride well at that height the solution is to get a 4-6" lift, put a shorter block in the back, and lower the front once lifted. You'll get better CV angles as well with the dropped diff and the suspension wont be as harsh since the keys aren't cranked all the way up.
Theres no longer upper control arms i can get? not saying you guys are wrong, kind of BS on RC's side

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Theres no longer upper control arms i can get? not saying you guys are wrong, kind of BS on RC's side
I dont see how installing a longer arm would fix anything besides screwing up the suspension geometry more (and putting higher loads on the upper ball joint). The upper and lower control arm lengths need to be related to keep the tire in the right plane at all points of suspension travel, were you to make one arm longer while changing nothing else, your tire would not stay in the correct plane and you would best case, see increased wear, but more than likely it would drive even worse. If they could show you what they mean by longer that might help, maybe somethings getting lost in translation. I am assuming that since that kit comes with arms, that they have been engineered to be the correct size to maintain proper geometry, but given the bump stops are hitting, maybe they did some back yard engineering.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Would it be the worst idea to cut them off?
the bump stops are there for a reason, i would not cut them off. I would see if you can return the kit, since it clearly does not work as advertised and get a more complete kit that would drop the dif and not just crank the keys up. Your CV shafts should be parallel with the ground, i doubt they are now with the keys cranked up that high. This will cause failure of the CV joints over time, and there not that cheap to replace. The 2 shafts combined will cost more then the whole lift kit for OEM parts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cutting them off isn't going to solve your ride quality issue. If you cut them off, now you may have over extension which can cause other issues. It's the fact that the torsion keys are turned up so high past stock, that is why the ride quality sucks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Aside from hitting your bump stop or topping out your shock, the angle of your control arm is the entire reason for a harsh ride. The steeper the angle, the more force going straight to your frame rather than absorbed by the torsion bar and shock. Google “force vector” for the physics.

A true lift keeps the control arms flat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.