Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

04.5 lly better mpgs then 06 lbz?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Timmay208 
#1 ·
Went on a 800 mile round snowmobile trip last weekend with one 06 lbz ccsb with a 4 place open trailer with 4 snowmobiles and one 04.5 lly ccsb with same trailer set up and they averaged 11-12 mpgs and I averages 8-9 with my lbz. We pulled together so the situation was the same. Just wondering if this is just how it is between the motors or not. Really kind of disappointed with it.

#2 ·
Are your trucks modded the same? Do you have the same wheel/tire combo? Are your sleds and trailers the same weight? Do the trailers offer the same airflow to minimize wind resistance? There are a lot of factors that go into it, making it a difficult question to answer based on the info provided. But generally you can come close to matching the MPGs in any of the engine versions if they are set up similarly and driven the same. Although 8-9 MPG hauling a snowmobile trailer seems low unless it was a huge trailer with a lot of weight.

#3 ·
What gear where you towing in?

#4 ·
both pickups running 4" exhaust and 265/75/16 tires with the same 4 place open trailer with 4 ski-doo summits and salt shields. The rigs we basically identical other than years and motors.

tow-haul was not engaged in mine I don't know for sure in theirs.

#9 ·
If you just put it in drive you are gonna lug the engine more than the lly being you have a 6 speed trans vs. his 5 speed. I'm thinking you were towing in 6th gear he only had 5 gears, if that makes any sense.

#6 ·
hand calculated? Not all trucks are created equal! They can be very similar but so different in performance and output. Towing in the LBZ while not using Tow Haul can decrease the miles per gallon.

Now, if both trucks are similar in tires, gears, weight and mods, are either of you tuned? Efi Live, or hand held?

Which truck was leading the charge? Cause the drafting truck would get better miles per gallon, if the follower knew how to accomplish this!

#7 ·
both trucks are stock tuned, stock height, stock body parts (no big bumpers), and yes hand calculated. After further investigating I checked for codes and I had the p003a code. Now will that ruin mileage? CEL light was not on just had the code.

#8 ·
it says in your sig you have a hypertech?

#10 ·
I do have a hypertech but it is not currently on there due to the "y" button not working.

must have got one of those "Friday afternoon motors"

#11 ·
it is amazing how different trucks can be, been there and seen that

#13 ·
Last couple of times I calculated my fuel mileage I was getting ~11.4-12.1 towing 12K 5th wheel with my LLY. I'm pretty sure my truck should eat a lot more towing a 12K brick wall than what you're getting towing your load. I don't calculate MPG any more, my DIC is almost exactly 10% higher than actual so I just use 90% of the DIC reading and call it good.

#14 ·
I was going off my DIC to for the first 300 miles and it was saying 10.5 then noticed how much more fuel I was going through compared to the other rig when we filled up, so then I hand calculated it and realized it was reading around 2 miles per gallon higher then actual mileage throughout the trip.

#15 · (Edited)
From what we've seen every generation has gotten just a little bit worse on the MPG's. I can't expain why but we have definately seen it.

The newer ones seem to be getting a little better again, but none of the trucks I have owned have ever gotten as good and as consistant as my 2001 LB7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.