Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004.5 GMC Sierra 2500hd SLT Crew cab 4x4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I got myself a project truck. When I bought it. Everything worked. Needed some rust repair.

Pulled the front seats and center console. Pulled the carpet up. Fixed the floor.... Over the course of several months. Lol... Wondering what I did wrong... I'm no mechanic. I put the console back in. Plugged in the big plug. Put seats in.

It seems the factory head unit is working. Finding stations. Volume etc. But no sound... I'm kinda rammy was there more then just the big plug in the console. It also has the rear seat dvd player. I haven't tried a DVD. Screen lights up..... I put a lot of money into this truck. Parts alone. But it's useless to me with no radio lol. I don't like aftermarket crud. I just want what the good General gave us

Thoughts??

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Hey everyone.

I got myself a project truck. When I bought it. Everything worked. Needed some rust repair.

Pulled the front seats and center console. Pulled the carpet up. Fixed the floor.... Over the course of several months. Lol... Wondering what I did wrong... I'm no mechanic. I put the console back in. Plugged in the big plug. Put seats in.

It seems the factory head unit is working. Finding stations. Volume etc. But no sound... I'm kinda rammy was there more then just the big plug in the console. It also has the rear seat dvd player. I haven't tried a DVD. Screen lights up..... I put a lot of money into this truck. Parts alone. But it's useless to me with no radio lol. I don't like aftermarket crud. I just want what the good General gave us

Thoughts??
to start with, the "good General" gave us some of the worst electrical and specifically radio hardware ever put into a vehicle, especially the bose systems. so i would maybe reconsider the stance on aftermarket hardware. My experience for saying this is 6+ years of removing defective GM crap and replacing it with aftermarket hardware. I have seen many... many bose amps go like this where they work fine and then suddenly die completely, or 2 speakers will die.

That said, likely the bose amp is not getting power (or more likely its dead all together), there is a radio harness connector on the back side of the radio basket (clipped in from the back with a Christmas tree) that goes to the amp, make sure its plugged in. Then id check the amp fuses and see if they are toast, IIRC there's 2, 20 amp fuses but it has been a while since i did this stuff. most likely the amp is dead and needs to be bypassed or replaced. I would personally not replace it, the bose amp is very expensive and as already mentioned, a glorified paper weight. The power output of the bose amp is more or less on par with the power output of just an aftermarket radio so there is really no reason to retain it. The only exception here is if you have one of the few trucks built with a sub, that cannot be run off just the radio alone.

If it were my truck, id put a 80$ radio in there, bypass the factory crap, and run a accessory wire for the radio, the hardware the rest of it. This will disable your door chimes, but it will bypass all the extra clutter. If you want to keep the door chimes you can use a data harness in between the radio and the trucks connector, there about 100 bucks or so. While you cant use the wires at the radio harness for the speakers, if you disconnect the harness behind the basket i mentioned earlier, one side of that will be the 4 speaker wire pairs, meter them out to confirm. the wire colors are pinned at the top of this sub forum.

brown & yellow
Light blue & dark blue
light green & dark green
grey & tan

i dont recall what is + and - or which set is which door, but those are the 8 colors you need for speakers. the window motor wires may be similar colors, if you are on the right wires, they should measure 4-8 ohms across the pair, no connection to ground. Once sure you have the right wires, you can test them by tapping a DOUBLE A battery across the pair, you should hear a faint pop from the speaker. This is an easy way to figure out which speaker goes to which door. The lighter of the 2 colors in the front is +, the darker of the 2 in the back is +.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts