Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have my eye on 3 awesome trucks but I need some opinions from the knowledgeable folks on here. The 3 trucks that I am contemplating on buying

1st 04 Duramax ccsb 55k miles LS $21k everything that i would to it has been done mild lift, programmer, exhaust etc.. he wont budge on price
2nd truck 04 ecsb 8.1 113k miles LS $13.9k
3rd is 04 Duramax ccsb 120k miles LT $20k also with everything already done to it as the first Duramax.

Now my needs in the immediate future will be a little bit of towing but mainly hunting and stuff. In two years I will be defiantly towing 12k lbs trailer about 6-7 times a year. Which is the best deal? or which is the best for my situation. Mind you I can work on pretty much everything if the 8.1 breaks but don't know a lick about the deisel. thank you :gearjamin

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Does the 8.1 have the Allison, if so get it. Thats $ 7k difference. You would have to drive 100-150k miles to make up the difference in price. The 8.1 has 460 ft lbs torque. Will pull 12k no problem.

The 8.1 is a bullet proof engine- only thing I see go wrong on them is the CPS crank pos. sensor. They eat a qurt of oil every 1500 miles but just keep going. Easy to maintain. A Hypertech prrammer works well on them too and is cheap about 300.

Avalon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Does the 8.1 have the Allison, if so get it. Thats $ 7k difference. You would have to drive 100-150k miles to make up the difference in price. The 8.1 has 460 ft lbs torque. Will pull 12k no problem.

The 8.1 is a bullet proof engine- only thing I see go wrong on them is the CPS crank pos. sensor. They eat a qurt of oil every 1500 miles but just keep going. Easy to maintain. A Hypertech prrammer works well on them too and is cheap about 300.

Avalon
Any way I could confirm it has an Ally?

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
I'd go with the 1st duramax I'm not a fan of the 8.1 the few I've seen/worked on were falling apart around 150k miles one of the blew the motor at 160k id go for the diesel for the fact that if you take care if a diesel it will out run any gas burner

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
Look at the tranny pan it will say Allison on it

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Fuel mileage will suck compred to the diesel.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Fuel mileage on my 8.1 was just about the same as my current diesel.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Fuel mileage will suck compred to the diesel.
Just roughly estimating (towing use),
15mpg (@diesel $$gal) vs 8mpg (@gas $$gal)....
40,000 miles later, you'll still have $3,300 in your pocket driving the 8100 with the purchase price difference between the two.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used to have a 04 8.1 one of the best trucks I ever owned regret selling it for sure, towed just fine

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I say go with the 8.1l. If the price difference between diesel and gas (over a $1.20 cheaper for gas) at least where I live. Then if that 04 is an lb7, it will shit the injectors eventually, and there is another $1800.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Believe it or not 8.1's with the allison are very desirable. Ive seen these engines run 250 k miles no priblem. Just keep the revs under 5000. They are not hot rod motors from the factory. Btw use only acdelco plugs, the Bosch and E3 do not work well in these motors. NGK is ok too.

Avalon

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Duramax. The 8.1L is a gas hog and doesnt have the same feel as a dmax. I owned one for about 6 months before trading it on a diesel. It got 12mpg empty and around 7 with a skid steer behind it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Towing the 8.1 will crap itself over 10k gvw. If you tow less than that I'd say the gasser is more your speed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

OK what did the OP buy?
I got the 8.1! I averaged 15mpg using 3qrts of the tank from Az to NM. Just spent $500 on all all fluids, tstat, plugs, and detailing stuff, I will be doing the work myself. Will be getting a BB tune and I think mpg shld go up little, we'll see!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had an 07 Sierra SLT with the 8.1L before i got my lml, loved that truck. Only down side was the 26 Gallon tank, i was lucky to get 300 miles a tank. Now im over 650 every fill up since the new truck has a 36 gallon. Good luck with the new ride.

Here's my old one

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Duramax will leave you with more room to grow. 55K on an 04, I would jump on that over the gasser with 150K. I can agree some what with the fuel arguments, but the real question is do you want to be the little engine that could saying, I think I can, I think I can, or just flat out know you can.

Reactions: poultryfarmer
1 - 20 of 58 Posts