Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the banks power pda, i am getting a code that says that the egr valve is stuck open. what can i do, can a get a blocker plate on the opening and just bypass the egr valve.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Sound to me like the problem usually involved with a larger exhaust. They set dur to the egr needing back pressure from the exhaust to do its job and by adding a large exhaust it changes the pressure and the egr gets ticked off and throws codes, usually 0401 and 0404, and some times a 0299 will get in there with it!!!

Best fix for the problem is a code blocker (finger stick) and egr blocker plate. the only place to get the code blocker is from kennedydiesel.com

The finger stick/code blocker is just a simple 6 wire device that u have to wire into the wireing harness for the egr valve and it will keep the codes from setting!!!

Later
CaLeb

·
Registered
47 Posts
To me, it sounds like it might be a failed EGR valve. They have been failing on the 05 and 06s fairly frequently. A big exhaust or blocker plate will result in "EGR Flow Insufficient" type codes, not an "EGR Open" code.

·
3,162 Posts
Good point Tom i never even thought of it that way!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
A properly installed (and functioning) stick should eliminate the p0299, p0401 and p0404 codes. These codes are usually due to opening up the exhaust or adding an aftermarket intake.

You didn't use scotch locks did you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
egr

A properly installed (and functioning) stick should eliminate the p0299, p0401 and p0404 codes. These codes are usually due to opening up the exhaust or adding an aftermarket intake.

You didn't use scotch locks did you?
no not sure what scotch lock is, i soldered the wires

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you have aftermarket exhaust and/or intakes?

The power PDA really shouldn't be figuring into this.....

Soldering is good, but I am still not convinced you have a clean install. It is possible (bit not probable) the stick is bad, but more likely one or more of the connections is wonky.

·
3,162 Posts
Minisub, if the egr is bad should the stick or should it not stop the codes from setting even with the bad valve?

SCotch locs are little pac man looking things that crip on over the wire and u squeeze it with a pair of pliars, and the clip the cover down over to lock it on, they are nothing but trouble!!!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Minisub, if the egr is bad should the stick or should it not stop the codes from setting even with the bad valve?

The stick won't stop the codes from a bad valve. If no exhaust or intake mods, you could easily check by disabling the stick (blue wire? - I would need to check, but basically take the EGR input out and it will pass the MAF signal unchanged) and pull the plate and see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
egr problem

as of right now i have sent back the stick to see if that is the problem , but no news yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
gm has a bulletin on these. they've had problems sticking. we've done a couple at our shop for this. the bulletin has you go through and check wires and the pc side but we've always found the egr to be at fault. just a thought...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Egr

EGR can be a headache, Thanks why I love EFIlive because you can turn off the egr system all together, and turn off all diagnostics relating to the egr system.
I also installed blocker plate since high boost can open the egr and waste the boost. The funny thing is that most DEQ's are going to be performing DEQ tests using scan tools connected to the Diagnostic port, and using the PCM's emmisions tests as a pass or fail. My truck has no CAT, smokes when I want it and the computer "SAYS" i passed all my emmisions tests. Gotta love Efilive. :rockin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.