Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site. I have a 6.6 Duramax with a frustrating starter prob. When trying to start the truck, the starter sounds like its not fully engaging and instead sounds like its grinding against the flywheel. We have changed the starter twice and the flywheel ring gear once. Truck doesn't seem to have a load issue electrically. It has been doing this for quite some time and no one including the dealership seems to know whats wrong. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2005 did the same thing. 2 new starters later the problem showed up again both times Thee dealer finally replaced the flywheel and the problem is gone. Mechanic said that some of the flywheels were bad and out of spec on new 2005 durmax. Hope this helps. I felt like a fool with my starter grinding on a new truck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It should be a recall on this. Mine has been doing it for about two years. It might only do it once in three months but it is aggravating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey! I am having the same problem with my 2005! The first time my truck did this was about a month after I bought it ( should've taken it in then!) Now 5 yrs later it's sitting out front with starter pulled...now the part I am cofused about is this..Is it a flywheel or a flex plate? I know it needs to be replaced because the teeth are MIA!!! Terminology is questioned, everywhere I call to look up a part # for this, some call it a flywheel $500> or some say flexplate $90>. It is an automatic and I know manuals take a flywheel...can someone please clarify so I will have the correct information.
Thank You! J

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's a flex plate. The torque convertor acts as the flywheel, due to it's mass and weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for clarifying Firetruckman1 it has been driving me crazy not knowing what to call it. Thank you again, Jdaddy2005 (Jeff)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Happy to have cleared that up for ya!! Good luck, and have fun with your upcoming project!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Starting issues

Hey guys. Have been reading some old posts about starter issues and wondering what kind of luck you guys have had. I have an 04 LLY that sounds like your typical bad starter (grinds once in a while when you hit the key). My mechanic sent the starter out to replace the solenoid and when I picked up the truck, same thing. Did anyone have any luck changing the flex plate rather than the flywheel?
Also was looking into CAI for my old truck, so thanks for all the info. I will look into modifying my old one.
Great site guys. Anytime I have a problem or question I go here first.
I can't tell you how much I love driving my old DMAX. Even if it is a little rough around the edges. I am slowly getting it back into shape.
Thanks, take care.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Hey guys. Have been reading some old posts about starter issues and wondering what kind of luck you guys have had. I have an 04 LLY that sounds like your typical bad starter (grinds once in a while when you hit the key). My mechanic sent the starter out to replace the solenoid and when I picked up the truck, same thing. Did anyone have any luck changing the flex plate rather than the flywheel?
Also was looking into CAI for my old truck, so thanks for all the info. I will look into modifying my old one.
Great site guys. Anytime I have a problem or question I go here first.
I can't tell you how much I love driving my old DMAX. Even if it is a little rough around the edges. I am slowly getting it back into shape.
Thanks, take care.
Mine does this once in while aswell, I read lots of old threads on multiple forums, and I decided when mine quits starting or when I rebuild trans(whichever comes first) its getting brand new flexplate and a MEAN GREEN STARTER. Lots of guys bought brand new GM starters and they still ground.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Moved to LLY

1 - 11 of 11 Posts