Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 05 lly and i was driving today and all of a sudden the truck jerks forward and the check engine light comes on and it has a loud knock coming from the driver side cylinders and it loses all power. so i shut it off had a buddy tow me to a parking lot and i wanted to see if i can here were the knock was coming from so i start it again, and the truck is running fine, i didn't live far away so i decided to try and make it back to my house. it drove fine for about a mile and did the same thing again, after letting it sit for a couple mins i started it again and it was running fine so i drove to make it to a parking lot to leave it there till i can tow it home. right before i got to the parking lot it lost all power again and had the loud knock. does anyone know what this is or have any ideas of what it could be

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
You need to scan the system for stored codes..

First check this--At the side of the alternator, the FICM harness tied down with a Zip tie. Cut the tie and pull the wires from the harness and inspect for cuts and wear. The sharp corner of the FICM bracket where it is tied down to, cuts into the wires. Repair and insulate the harness with a short piece of heater hose.

Common problem on the LLY engine.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Moved to LLY-- no further info

·
Registered
28 Posts
Reactions: brokesmoke

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Doing the ice pick procedure should get you up and running bud.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys i appreciate it

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had this problem and replaced the #7 and #2 with the factory recall parts. That have the correct bracket to hold them in place .
Factory recall would mean this was a free fix right? I hope this is not the case because my dealer charged me a few hundred dollars to fix mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.